Anyone buying Garmin Fenix 6

chiefs1968

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2016
I love my apple watch series 4 stainless steel but I am itching to purchase the new Garmin Fenix 6x pro and then again I might not. Anyone in this forum also interested in the Garmin fenix 6?

• Sad
Reactions: 1rottenapple

tarsins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
I suppose it'd be OK if you were going to climb a mountain, wrestle a bear or something but I wouldn't wear it as a "nice" watch; way too bulky. It's not going to integrate as well as an Apple Watch does, either.

Reactions: shankar2

Pxlkid

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2019
UK
Had a fenix 3 for a while after I sold my Apple Watch s2. Amazing piece of kit and I for one love the aesthetic of Garmin’s bulkier watches.

For me, the upside of garmin was the incredible battery life, always on display and great metrics. The downside was their iOS app...in a word appalling.

The Fenix 6 looks interesting and although expensive I have no doubt it will be working well for many many years.

Personally though I value the accessibility of Apple Watch data and 3rd party app support.

Reactions: mikzn

gr4z

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
England
Just got a Fenix 6, so far it's excellent. But then there are things you will miss. Works both ways. Buy the one that is right for you.

Reactions: PatrickNSF

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2015
Just got a Fenix 6, so far it's excellent. But then there are things you will miss. Works both ways. Buy the one that is right for you.
Or both!

Man, it's frustrating. Garmin, give me just a little bit more flexibility like Apple does with its apps. And, please, something, anything like Overcast, instead of pushing that crap Spotify app onto my watch.

Apple, give me better data, without having to third party it, and another day of battery life.

It's like they have a non-compete on certain things.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Or both!

Man, it's frustrating. Garmin, give me just a little bit more flexibility like Apple does with its apps. And, please, something, anything like Overcast, instead of pushing that crap Spotify app onto my watch.

Apple, give me better data, without having to third party it, and another day of battery life.

It's like they have a non-compete on certain things.
The one thing that I miss from my AW4, apart from the Garmin, is the data on a single, web page, where I can see everything all together, rather than go through 3 or 4 separate apps on my phone. It's easier to see the relationship say of a poor nights sleep on the heart rate of an activity. That I truly miss, and will always hold Garmin above the AW simply for that fact. The data that each generate are very similar, but what is DONE with that data can be worlds apart.

Reactions: PatrickNSF

Fthree

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Bought a Fenix 6 solar. It is really nice however I find myself hating that the Apple Watch series 4 is sitting on my dresser just looking at me. I have a Fenix 5 that I was using to track my runs so they would be on connect then onto strava but was intrigued by the 6 solar for its ability to track sleep and give me its “body battery” reading as well as play music from Spotify. I just hate that the fenix5 and Apple Watch are still VERY capable and are not being used. (i wore them both on my runs so I didn’t have to carry my phone) One other thing i love about the AW is that it is cellular. I have to say that I like the way garmin tracks fitness at this point more than the AW so id like to always have the connect information available. Stupid tech...
- - Post merged: - -

I haven’t exactly been able to figure out RunGap yet. Info on that would be appreciated

Agile55

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
TX
"I haven’t exactly been able to figure out RunGap yet. Info on that would be appreciated"

Agreed, share some more RunGap info. as I still use Garmin Connect to log my runs having just recently switched from using an F3 to my AW4.

Donnation

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Don’t do it. I won one for a company contest and the display is so bad on that thing it’s laughable. The press shots are a joke to what it actually looks like.

Reactions: deeddawg

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Nope. I’ve had several Garmin watches over the years. Learned to give any new model at least four months on the street for Garmin to fix software.

At this point in time, the things that Garmin is stronger than Apple in are not a priority for me.

Don’t do it. I won one for a company contest and the display is so bad on that thing it’s laughable. The press shots are a joke to what it actually looks like.
I’ve always wondered how Garman gets away with that. The press shots and marketing materials give a very different impression from reality.

I haven’t exactly been able to figure out RunGap yet. Info on that would be appreciated
I use RunGap regularly to upload my Apple Watch workouts to Garmin and Strava. What are your questions?

Fthree

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Nope. I’ve had several Garmin watches over the years. Learned to give any new model at least four months on the street for Garmin to fix software.

At this point in time, the things that Garmin is stronger than Apple in are not a priority for me.

I’ve always wondered how Garman gets away with that. The press shots and marketing materials give a very different impression from reality.

I use RunGap regularly to upload my Apple Watch workouts to Garmin and Strava. What are your questions?
Just the basics. I have run gap downloaded on my phone and ipad. My questions would be very basic and could probably be answered with little research. Definitely don’t want to waste your time. Definitely appreciate it though

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Just the basics. I have run gap downloaded on my phone and ipad. My questions would be very basic and could probably be answered with little research. Definitely don’t want to waste your time. Definitely appreciate it though
Feel free to message me if you get stuck. I’m no expert but happy to try to help if I can.

Reactions: Fthree

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
You can always use RunGap to sync between everything. Best of both worlds then!
Rungap is great for sync'ing activities, but it doesn't sync sleep data, heart rate data (all day) steps, or anything outside of the activity, and it doesn't sync, (or Apple Watch doesn't generate) all of the data. The pace data, speed data, and cadence data from the AW is simply unusable.

akidokraja

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
I have AW S3 and S4. Don’t wear any of them anymore because of horrible battery life. Even on the best days with S3 it’s a accomplishment to finish second day without recharging. Max of 48 hours is completely unacceptable to me. Sometimes doesn’t even do 24 hours. I also have/had Garmin Fénix 3, 5X, 5X plus and now 6X Pro Solar. Yes, the screen has muted colors, basically almost black and white but that battery life is insane. With everything constantly syncing 3 weeks and with some solar recharging even longer. Supposedly it can go in low power mode/expedition for even longer than that. Fancy screen of AW is useless if battery drains like crazy.

Reactions: rdavis41

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
I still bounce back and forth between my Garmin and my AW. For all but the most easy runs I wear a Garmin on my wrist and the AW on an armband for music and LTE. And for indoor cycling I still rely on the Garmin since it syncs with my speed/cadence sensor. But the AW is more useful for me as a day-to-day watch.

I'm fine using both...for now.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Yep. Have AW S4 SS and new AW S5 SBSS. Also have Garmin F3, F5, and F5+ Titanium. Oh, and an Instinct.

Trying to decide which F6 I want.

On the fence about medium vs Plus size Fenix this time. My older F3 (which works perfectly, lasts a couple weeks and has great GPS tracks) is the larger size. But with the F6 they are thinner and have shorter lug width which affects wearability.

I like playing with the Garmin Connect store and 3rd party apps and watch faces.

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
I generally bounce back between my AW and my Garmin, though I've been wearing mostly my Garmin 24/7 these days while I prepare for my 4th (and final) marathon of the year. I've been paying attention to the recovery and performance metrics more than I have in the past just to see what they recommend for this final training push.

I've tried to find comparable Firstbeat-type apps for the AW but have come up empty.

Monkswhiskers

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2018
I generally bounce back between my AW and my Garmin, though I've been wearing mostly my Garmin 24/7 these days while I prepare for my 4th (and final) marathon of the year. I've been paying attention to the recovery and performance metrics more than I have in the past just to see what they recommend for this final training push.

I've tried to find comparable Firstbeat-type apps for the AW but have come up empty.
I think there is one called Fjuul which used Firstbeat analytics but it is subscription based which I don't like. I would prefer a one off cost. It would be great if Apple got into this field especially with their industry leading optical HR sensor.

xthine

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Sedona
My 5x still works pretty well for what I do. Was interested in the solar aspect of the newer Garmin but didn’t really look into it very much.

This mornings trail run..

Is there a solar version that’s the same case size as the 5x or smaller?

Reactions: Pseudo-Fed

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
My 5x still works pretty well for what I do. Was interested in the solar aspect of the newer Garmin but didn’t really look into it very much.

This mornings trail run..

Is there a solar version that’s the same case size as the 5x or smaller?
The solar ONLY comes in the 5X size, though might be thinner, and has shorter lug distance and more comfortable case back.