Anyone buying rMBP/MBPR for thinner body?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lbjandai, Sep 2, 2012.

1. lbjandai macrumors member

Just curious if the thinness of the rMBP came into play in anyone's purchases. I actually don't care or need the retina display, but I would like a notebook that is thinner or lighter than the regular MBPs. It's not a huge difference between the two, but every inch and pound counts when you're traveling!

What are you all's thoughts?

2. BB.King macrumors regular

Unless you constantly running out of space for a weekly magazine in your case, I don't think there is any benefit of the thinner retina mbp. Since that is the thickness difference between the normal and retina mbp.

The retina mbp still have the footprint of a 15" laptop, by reduce the thickness a bit, it does not make the laptop any more portable or introduce any useful features. In fact, I would like a thinker case if it means longer battery life and more ports.

3. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Thinness is but a minor perk, but the weight difference between my 2010MBP and 2012rMBP is certainly enough to feel on the move, that is a great sideeffect of Apple's digitial-anorexia obsession!.

Also travelling on a plane and the rMBP is just that bit easier to manhandle on a seat tray, the thinness and weight makes it a bit more comfortable to use in a flying sardine can ;)

4. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

IPS display also helps when you travel in economy if the person in front reclines their seat ;)

5. Kimcha macrumors regular

Thinness not so much, but weight for sure. It is the same weight as my old 13" MBP.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Absolutely after carrying a 17" laptop with two internal 1TB drives and an SSD. The size and weight difference makes the rMBP feel like a small air book. Those factors plus being all solid state (no spinning disk to crash in the field) and the retina disk sold me.