Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I feel like with the ultraportable MBA (and an iPhone) i really don't have a need for the iPad.

I really want it though lol. Anyone else buying it?

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
yup.

GF steals my MBA, and my imac is doing TV duty most of the time. Leaves me with just my work PC(blech), or my iphone. I'm buying the ipad more to get my MBA from the clutches of my GF.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
I already have an iPad 2. Bit the bullet and decided to go ahead and get a MBA 13". The iPad is great for basic tasks, checking email, surfing, etc. But when you get right down to it, the MBA is a full blown Mac capable of just about anything I throw at it from photo editing, video, word processing (which I personally can't do on an iPad. The form factor and keyboard is just weird when I'm typing a 15 page paper), etc. It can handle so much more. It's a full mac (and compared to even my 2008 MacBook Pro, quite a powerful Mac too).

So moral of the story is, iPad is fun, MBA is fun and useful for me. Some of you may be able to do what I do on an MBA on your iPads, but I can't do certain things.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
One might think this thread is out of place, but I appreciate that the OP created it. I'm actually really torn on the new iPad mainly because I don't want it "cannibalizing" my Air. I fear I won't be able to look at my Air screen the same way after using the iPad, or I may just not use the Air as much.

I just can't justify the purchase of the iPad, as much as I'd like one. All it'd do is make my life slightly more convenient. Not sure 500+ is worth that ticket...

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I have an iPad2 and a MBA 13". They complement each other very well. For daily portability, I prefer the iPad due to touch screen/ long battery life/ 3G/ ability to use a stylus. It functions as my note book and carries my entire research library, I do all my pdf reading and annotation and note taking on it.

I use my MBA for more content creation and 'heavier' work, and bring it with me if I travel for more than a night or two. I got a 13" rather than a 11" due to increased screen size.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I feel like with the ultraportable MBA (and an iPhone) i really don't have a need for the iPad.

I really want it though lol. Anyone else buying it?
I feel the exact same way! I think I'm just on an Apple event high :p

But I'm hoping it'll pass haha. With my 11in and an iPhone, definitely no need for an iPad. But maybe if I move up to a 13in MBA, I could squeeze in some use :D

yup.

GF steals my MBA, and my imac is doing TV duty most of the time. Leaves me with just my work PC(blech), or my iphone. I'm buying the ipad more to get my MBA from the clutches of my GF.
Hahaha this! My gf always uses my MBA, which leaves me stuck at my desk on my iMac. If I want to move around, compute on the bed, etc, all I have is my iPhone. First world problems, amiright?

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011

I really want it though lol.

I'm in the exact same boat :rolleyes:. I absolutely don't need it. Completely redundant with my MBA. But with the Retina display, I just can't not buy it :D.

Or should I say, "rent" it. I'm sure the novelty will have worn off within a week or two of use (or lack thereof), and then I will sell it. At least that's what happened with the iPad 2, but it didn't have the major game changer that is the Retina display.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
I am also torn. I have a pre-order out for the iPad, but I'm waffling and thinking of cancelling. The iPad is certainly the more portable device, but this Air (even at 13) is surprisingly portable as well. I'd bring the iPad with me to more places I guess...

If I get the iPad now, I probably won't get the 2012 Air (was going to get the 11"). The kicker is the screen on the iPad murders the air display. The battery and FaceTime camera are also much better. I don't see the Air achieving a 10 hour battery life anytime soon.

Fleet would mac

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
The trouble with that is that if your GF also starts stealing your sexy new iPad, she'll (by virtue of it being a single-user operating system :() have full access to your facebook account, e-mails, calendar, and so on. Are you sure you want that?! ;)

I have similar problems and for me it's the showstopper preventing me from going out and buying any iPad. I don't mind this restriction on my iPhone because I am the only one who uses it, but I want an iPad that friends and family can share from time to time without having to compromise my privacy. Will it ever happen? I hope so, otherwise I'll probably be doomed to Windows 8... :mad:

BillG53

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2012
I was given an MBA 11" for Christmas instead of an iPad 1 and I liked it so much that about a year ago I replaced my Bill Gates Virus Magnet PC with an iMac. I've been using an iPhone 3G for a few years now. I'm glad I got the MBA instead of the iPad because it allowed the further development in the iPad line of the Retina display. I have not found that the MBA replaces my desire for an iPad. I am hoping that the iPad's touchscreen and the apps that are created for the iPad will give me the useability I feel I don't have with the MBA. With the addition of the iWork apps to the iPad, I am wondering if the iPad will not replace the MBA more than the MBA obviate the need for an iPad. In some cases I can see that having the MBA keyboard would be desired over the iPad. I am looking forward to combining all 4 products with the iCloud and Apple TV.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens

That sums up my own feelings. The iPad is cool - I got the original one for my daughter's family when it came out. But it still just doesn't appeal to me for some reason and the retina display doesn't change that.

iOS is brilliant on the iPhone - it lets me do all kinds of things away from home and fits in my pocket. But if I'm going to carry around a big device, I want a real computer. I'm a fast touch typist and will never be happy with a virtual keyboard.

I find it odd that I don't want one actually, but I'm pretty happy about that because I have way too many electronic gadgets already. :)

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
@Boyd01

I'm a touch typist too. I hate typing on phones or on the iPad. For my use (mostly web browsing), an iPad is not needed. But it's a bonus: though I can obviously browse the web on my MBA, the iPad offers a more enjoyable experience.

I prefer touch based web browsing. I had an iPad 2 at some point, and that preference has developped unexpectedly. However, while I did enjoy that a lot, I couldn't stand the low resolution so I sold it.

What I'm hinting at is that the iPad is redundant with an MBA for a lot of tasks while being better at some, like web browsing IMO. Perhaps not enough to justify keeping it, but it's worth a try.

To me, the Retina display might very well be this justification.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I have been a MacBook Air user since the first model (I have the 11" i7 now) and did not purchase the first two iPads but did pull the trigger with this version (Verizon LTE). There is enough iPad-specific content out there so that it makes sense to have both if possible. It will create an interesting decision point when I travel, though. Up to now, I have taken the MacBook Air. I may take the iPad on short trips now. I doubt I'll bring both, though.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
After using a PC since I was a kid in the late 90s, I decided to get a Macbook Air 3 weeks ago to see what it was like - badly needed a laptop too. My excuse for getting the Air was that I wasn't going to get the iPad 3. <cough>

Well, the wife's laptop is 3 years old and work buddies are doing ipad development... Needless to say, 2 iPad 3s are pre-ordered. I do a ton of reading online and via the Kindle app. I figure it can only compliment the Macbook Air.

I'm pretty OCD about keeping my stuff clean and in new condition so the iPad 3 should help me keep my Macbook Air even cleaner, right? <cough cough>.

Definitely an Apple convert (iPhone 4s, Macbook Air, iPad 3 now). Tho, PC gaming system for now.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I had an 11" MBA, which I just passed down to my dad as his first Mac in almost 20 years. He loves it.

Meanwhile, I've got my iPad as my portable device and my iMac as a workhorse. I will never go without an iPad in this lifetime again, so long as Apple continues to manufacture it. Just way too convenient and enjoyable for web browsing, archiving/accessing all of my key personal and business files, reading via the Kindle app, reading/marking up PDFs using Goodreader, watching video, staying connected on the go (particularly wit 3G and its 10-hr battery life). I am believer in the tablet form factor.

That said, I'm still going to have to pick up some sort of a laptop soon. The iPad still has a few limitations that can't be solved by any existing apps. What I need is either filesystem access or a central storage folder that all apps can share. Tired of having multiple copies of the same file on my iPad just so I can send those files by email, etc. I also need a full-fledged Office-compatible suite. Pages and Numbers are beautiful, well-designed and easy to use, but the business world is stuck on Office for the foreseeable future.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I thought the keynote was hilarious when Phil Schiller, after Namco showed off some ****** looking flight sim game (seriously looked like something from the 90s!) says, "Gaming of this calibre has never before been available on a device this portable!"

A little while later, I booted my MBA into windows and launched Mass Effect 3 for an hour. Come on Phil....are you forgetting apples real compact computer?????

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
One might think this thread is out of place, but I appreciate that the OP created it. I'm actually really torn on the new iPad mainly because I don't want it "cannibalizing" my Air. I fear I won't be able to look at my Air screen the same way after using the iPad, or I may just not use the Air as much.

I just can't justify the purchase of the iPad, as much as I'd like one. All it'd do is make my life slightly more convenient. Not sure 500+ is worth that ticket...

If you use a smartphone and want but not entirely need a tablet, you can buy an Asus Padfone, which is basically a phone which you convert into a tablet ;).
I know, it's not Apple, but it seems pretty nifty. And you can even connect it to a keyboard and convert it to a laptop.

So basically, 1 device, 3 functions.
Oh and it has a capacitive stylus for taking notes which is also a headset :p

nomanstool

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2010
buying an iPad 3 as soon as it is available. It will be a good transition tablet before I see some good win8 tablets ;)

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Yup, I did. A different tool for a different purpose. As thin as the MBA is, the iPad is a lot more mobile, and it works great for email and web browsing.

I still need to come back to my MBA to run Quicken for Business, Rapidweaver, and other apps....

billp1

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2009
I just sold my IPad 2 and purchased the 11 inch Mac Air with the Thunderbolt Monitor. This gives me a docking station with a small powerful computer.

A big investment but now my replacement for my IPad is a real computer.I have a pay as you go Virgin Mobile MI Fi so that keeps me mobile with the Air if need be.

I have spent my first week without an IPad and so far so good. See how it goes.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I just sold my IPad 2 and purchased the 11 inch Mac Air with the Thunderbolt Monitor. This gives me a docking station with a small powerful computer.

A big investment but now my replacement for my IPad is a real computer.I have a pay as you go Virgin Mobile MI Fi so that keeps me mobile with the Air if need be.

I have spent my first week without an IPad and so far so good. See how it goes.

This is essentially what I did when the 2010 MBA came out. Passed my iPad 1 down to a family member, then tried to get along with the MBA. What I discovered was that there truly are certain tasks, say reading a book, browsing the web in a comfortable position on the couch or in bed, watching videos on a plane, for which the experience on an iPad is unparalleled. I tried to use my MBA in the same way, but just couldn't. Form factor doesn't allow for it, battery life is too short and the heat/fans were annoying.

importluva

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
MBA has been relegated to work computer. iPad for casual browsing and video on the go.

They both have their uses and can coexist i think.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Im doing the opposite, will be selling my ipad 2 and getting a 2012 macbook air. The ipad is great, but i just keep finding small things i can only do on a full computer. Dont really have the funds to justify having both.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I came close to pulling the trigger... but I'm eagerly anticipating the Ivy Bridge MBA update (have a 2010 11" base that I'm pushing the limits of) and know I'll probably get the next iPhone as I desperately want to switch from AT&T to Verizon :D

I have the original iPad, used it a ton the first 6 mos, now just pretty much use it as an eReader, just a bit too slow. And I told myself whenever they upped the res I would do it, but 3 Apple products per year just seems a bit too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.