Anyone care to make a recommendation for a waterproof case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by SLC Flyfishing, Sep 6, 2013.

1. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I've spent the past year in Portland, got caught in a nasty rainstorm yesterday at the kids soccer practice. Luckily the phone weathered it well (pun intended).

Anyway, I'm a fairly outdoorsy guy, and I should probably get something to protect my phone from the elements.

Any recommendations? (iPhone 5 BTW)

2. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I've been asking the same question, and of all the waterproof cases out there, the Lifeproof Nuud seems to be a top choice because it is slim, doesn't use a screen protector (optional screen film provided), and has fewer issues than the Lifeproof Fre. At $90 though, it's expensive.

This is going to sound a bit silly, but when I went camping a few months ago, I kept a small ziplock bag with me, and threw my iPhone 5 into the bag if it looked like it was going to rain. Not a very elegant solution, but it works as a stopgap while figuring out which case to buy.

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

FRIEQ® Universal Waterproof Case for Apple iPhone 5, Galaxy S3, HTC One X, Galaxy Note 2 - IPX8 Certified to 100 Feet
    http://amzn.com/B00AW2QT8I
    +
    OtterBox Commuter Series Case for iPhone 5 - Retail Packaging - Black
    http://amzn.com/B00974L1T4

This good. It's a good idea though.

4. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

That's actually cool, the FRIEQ case, but I think the OP was referring to an everyday waterproof case. One that makes it still look like a phone.

You probably wont like my suggestion, but I wanted to get a case like LifeProof, but didn't want to spend $80...

I did some research and a lot of people were buying LifeProof knock offs from eBay, Amazon, etc. The knock off case was actually getting similar reviews as the actual LifeProof case, and people were complaining about the same issues. Some have audio/call issues, and some people don't like the built in screen protector.

I ordered a LifeProof knock off on eBay, $10.99 including shipping. Got the case a few days later, did the waterproof test, and it passed. Threw my 4S into it and I feel so much better about my phone against the elements now. The case adds no bulk and it has 360 degree protection.

As I said earlier, people have complained about the screen protector in the LifeProof, to some it makes the touch screen annoying to use...well I must have gotten lucky because on my knock off case, the fit is tight and you can't even feel a gap between the screen protector and the actual screen. I don't have the "space" between the protector and screen as some buyers do. It feels just like the iPhone screen. I think some are just built more loose than others.

And let me reiterate, I bought the knock off simply to protect it from elements, water, sand, dirt, etc. I didn't buy this case to take into the pool. I will NEVER submerge my iPhone completely in water. But I am 100% confident that my knock off case will make my phone bulletproof to rain/spills/condensation, or any sort of precipitation. I took my iPhone to the beach for the first time yesterday and was sitting in the sand, posting pictures to my instagram. Felt good.

5. maliu macrumors 6502a

6. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

What are the downsides of the lifeproof Fré vs the nuud?

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Nuud has the screen exposed

8. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

The Fre has a plastic screen cover which some users have observed to (1) have distortions or oil slick effect and (2) make the touch screen less sensitive. Nuud uses a rubber gasket that leaves the glass exposed, so the screen is easier to use.

9. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Should I be concerned that things like chlorine in pool water, or sea-water etc may damage the coating on the screen? I wasn't aware of the issues with the Fré's screen cover though so thanks for bringing that up.

10. brentc133 macrumors newbie

I tried the Fre and then returned for the Nuud. Couldn't be happier. The Fre wasn't bad but there is no comparison to the Nuud and I even use the included screen protector.

11. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Are you worried at all about the gasket around the screen failing or anything like that? Does it seem solid?

12. brentc133 macrumors newbie

Seems very solid and well built. I don't plan to go swimming with my
    Nuud. My intent was to have a case that both protected from drops and accidental submersions in liquid.

13. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I plan on using mine at the coast this winter to shoot pics of my kids in the tide pools etc. I wonder if rain, salt water, and sand might make the Fré a better option for me?

Anyone have any experience with the otter box armor offering, or the Incipio or Griffin cases?

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you're going to put it in the water nothing is more reliable than a DryCase. Spent the week in Hawaii and went on a dive with my 5 in one. It didn't fail once even at 20 ft for 30 min.

If you want a case that works all the time for rain or the occasional beach shot (not in water) a Nuud/Otterbox is the way to go. Personally I hate the Lifeproof Frē because of the awful screen protector. It doesn't deserve the high marks it gets on Amazon.

Gotta admit that I was really thinking about a HitCase though. So nice and protection is top notch. No form fitting case in my price range (>$130) could handle the dive though.

15. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I wouldn't put it in water, but it may get dropped accidentally and with all the salt and sand, I wonder if having a screen cover is the way to go?

16. bandrews macrumors 6502a

17. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

18. Hurley82989 macrumors member

i've had both the incipio atlas and the lifeproof fre.

i got the fre maybe 2-3 months after it came out and really liked it. i've had issues with the newton rings (screen protector causes a rainbowing effect over the screen) but it doesn't bother me and is barely visible when the screen is on. i've liked the fre alot but the issues other than the newton rings include having to use an annoying headphone adapter which i always forget and that the headphone screw is very easy to lose. also people occasionally tell me i'm very difficult to hear. the speakerphone is essentially useless because they can't hear me, although i can hear them very well.

i tried the atlas for 2 weeks but ended up returning it. the glass screen looked great, but for me the screen sensitivity was terrible. it was super frustrating to try and type anything on the keyboard because it consistently missed my screen taps even when i pressed extraordinarily hard on the screen. the atlas was also noticeably heavier than the fre. the biggest upside with the atlas and why i wanted to love it is that you don't have to use a headphone adapter as long as your headphone jack fits into the recessed plug. there's no screw to easily lose. also, it comes with included insurance.

hope this helps.

19. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Good insight! I heard that the standard apple headphones can work in the fre without an adaptor, is that true?

20. Hurley82989 macrumors member

yeah, the stock headphones work (and any other headphone with a narrow, straight headphone jack) without the adapter.

however, the adapter itself has a nifty pocket where you can store the headphone jack screw so i always use it. otherwise, where else are you going to put the screw? it's so small it's very, very easy to lose and replacements are not cheap on the lifeproof website.

21. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Does anyone know if the inline controller from the headphones works through the lifeproof headphone adaptor

22. myMacRumors macrumors regular

it works on our iPhone5 iOS version 6.1.4

23. mharris141 macrumors newbie

I have the lifeproof case for my iPhone and I love it. I can take it in the water and it doesn't get inside the case, its great!