Anyone change from a 15 to a 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jetjaguar, Dec 11, 2016.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i sold my 13 and bought a maxed 15 but thinking I might just get the tb 13 since I don't think I need the power of the 15 and if I end up down the road getting an iMac the 13 would be a better match. Or I could just use my iPad Pro as my mobile and get an iMac instead. Ugh can't decide.

2. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

The 13 is sort of a happy medium.

You can't go wrong with the 13, but I could see some people not being happy with the bulk of the larger one.

Depends on your needs. (these replies are of limited value, no? ) :D

3. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I have a iMac late 2015 27" and a iPad Pro 12.9" 128GB. Just picked up a nTB 13" yesterday. I am selling my iPad and keep the Pro. The only reason I will miss the iPad is Boom Beach and it probably feels more rugged vs the laptop. But it is much nicer typing on the laptop, better screen and love the track pad. I think the iMac and 13" laptop is a good choice.

4. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Yea I think I'm going to bring back the 15. Definitely won't sell my 12.9 iPad Pro because I have unlimited data and watch shows on my commute to work everyday.

iMac is dated so probably going to wait for it to get updated and may pick up a 13in.

5. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

I'm also considering this as well. Have the 15" base MBP (new), iPad Pro 9.7" with apple smart keyboard, and a iMac with 5K Retina display that was purchased in mid-2015. I take my iPad to work everyday to watch Netflix and iBooks. I have been waiting to see what would happen with the new MBP models as I like have the option of using the laptop rather than staying in me office at home. After having the 15" for two weeks, I think it may be "too much computer" for me. I don't really need the dedicated graphics card, or the i7 processor as nothing I do with the computer approaches those capabilities. I'm trying to decide if I even need the TB, as I don't find it too useful. If I were to return this and get the 13" nTB version, that may be the best combination with my iMac/iPad. I have toyed with the idea of selling or handing down the iMac, and using the 15" as my primary Mac, but that 5K display!

#Decisions

6. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I switched from 15 to 13 long ago, back in like 2010

I had a few 15" laptops, when they were non unibody, and I think one unibody non retina

13 is perfect for me,

I got the 12 rMB too

I think 15 Is more for if it doesn't leave your desk 90% of the Time, otherwise that footprint is huge

7. kwandrews macrumors 6502

I'm finding the 13" a sweet spot in size. I've had the 15" and went back to 13". It's really a personal preference and you'll never know unless you try I suppose. That said, I also love my 12" MacBook too.

8. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Yea the MacBook is too small for me .. I think the 13 nTB might be the one

9. Scott G. macrumors member

I had the 2.7/512/460 BTO ordered orginally, but cancelled it and bought the 2.7/512/455 in store because I didn't want to wait. It was nice but I felt like I wouldn't get used to the typing on the 15 inch because the trackpad felt so big and it has a big bottom chin. Just felt odd to type on, so I returned it for the 13 inch 3.1 i7/512 thinking the typing would be better. It was easier to type on for sure. I just kept thinking, though, that it would be too underpowered, and that I'd wanna upgrade again in 6 months or so. I ended up exchanging it for the same model I had, 15 inch 2.7/512/455. I brought it home, but didn't open it, because I convinced myself to go for the 2.9/1tb/460 that the stores have in stock. I want this to last quite a while without feeling like I need to upgrade so quickly. So, that's where I'm at now lol.

What I can say about my experience with the 15 inch 2.7/512/455 and the 13 inch 3.1/512:

-The screen was pretty good on the 15 inch. Whites were nice. Didn't notice much uniformity issues or odd coloring (something I'm always very susceptible to).

The screen on the 13 inch was pretty bad. The left side had a pink tint to it and the right side had a noticeable green tint.

-I did have the login graphic "glitch" when FileVault was on. I also got these weird artifacts once in a while in an open window. Well, right below the window actually. They looked like little white dots. A bunch of them off the bottom right corner of an app window. I guess the best I can explain it is, like glitter?

I didn't see the login glitch on the 13 inch, or that other graphic problem, but I didn't use it long.

-The keyboard on the 15 inch was ok. It did feel like the right side keys were a little louder and stiffer than the left, but I could have been imagining it.

The keyboard on the 13" was great.

-I was surprised at how cool the 15 inch stayed during any use. The 13 inch got a bit warmer.

-The typing experience on the 13 inch was "easier," for a lack of a better word.

-The 15" is incredibly light and portable for its size, and battery life was good.

Anyway, those are my observations so far. I didn't use either that much and haven't gotten around to setting up this newest one yet.

Hope this maybe helps.