Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
But the question is why subscription? Renting music isn't very smart.

It's very smart given that the music quality of download services is at best 'acceptable'. You rent music, listen to whatever however many times as you like for the cost of a CD a month. Then you buy CD's for what you want to keep. I've only ever bought music from iTunes for demonstration purposes. But the current methods of renting all suck. I just wish iTunes would offer subscription.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hahahaha no. My 3G iPod still rocks and I have no desire to get a Zune. :cool:

Curse you! the 3G iPod was the best music machine I ever used. Beats my iPod Mini. WHY DID I SELL YOU?! WHY!! Because I'm a fool.

I will not be switching from iPod. Unless something that genuinely better comes along.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
No!

Trust me if you get a zune you'll regret it a day later! It looks like its the size of a brick! It's really heavy! Don't go to the zune. stay with the sweet looking, awesome sounding, stylish, sleek, icon: iPod!

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
If I was a Microsoft Fan Boy I would still not buy one. Because I would have Media Center 2005 and I don't think that the tools work with the Zune Tunes software. For example, drop in a soundtrack into Movie Maker, use the remote to navigate with my music.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Curse you! the 3G iPod was the best music machine I ever used. Beats my iPod Mini. WHY DID I SELL YOU?! WHY!! Because I'm a fool.

I will not be switching from iPod. Unless something that genuinely better comes along.

Haha, sorry man. ;) Yeah, it's a great little player and honestly has not lost much of its charge so I really have no need to upgrade it for a while. Although if a full screen virtual scroll wheel iPod comes out I may have to reconsider... Nah, I'd just buy it in addition to my 3G. :D :cool:

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
I'm not familiar with the Zune software or M$ in general, but wouldn't it be a major chore to switch your entire music library over to the Zune interface?

That, alone, would be a reason not to switch.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I'm not familiar with the Zune software or M$ in general, but wouldn't it be a major chore to switch your entire music library over to the Zune interface?

That, alone, would be a reason not to switch.

I believe the Zune software, which I hear is basically just Windows Media Player, automatically imports your iTunes music library and playlists into it, minus purchased music and smart playlists. Zune software doesn't offer smart playlists.

backsidetailsli

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2006
Toronto!
Let me count the reasons I won't be swapping my iPod in on a Zune...

1. Zune has no Mac compatibility (and somewhat limited Windows compatibility to boot)
2. Zune doesn't function as an external HD
3. Zune doesn't do games
4. Zune doesn't have Calendar/To-Do/Contacts/World Clock functionality, etc.
5. Zune doesn't support lossless audio
6-99. Need I go on??

yah man you bring up good points
but seriously a zune? gimme a break, i feel stupid even saying its name

Brayden87

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Australia
Hey,

I got the 80gb IPOD instead of the ZUNE and it rocks. Think about it, it may appear to be big to some people, but really its not, 20,000 songs in my palm. That is one big leap technology has taken. Also the 30gb is not that much smaller anyway. I have put like 20 movies on it and those games are average

the prices of them are a good price considering you get 9 for $67AU when psp charge $80AU for a game you finish in a day.

:) :) :)

animenick65

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
The zune is a first gen product and is halfway decent considering. you all forget that it includes an FM player which most mp3 players have had for awhile while the IPOD does not have one. I think its also a MAJOR step in the right direction in terms of GUI. the ipod gui is old and boring. I think the zune at its very least is good competition for Apple and will light a flame under its but. Good competition is what drives prices down and gives consumers more bang for their buck. I hope it does well and I hope that future zunes do well.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
The zune is a first gen product and is halfway decent considering. you all forget that it includes an FM player which most mp3 players have had for awhile while the IPOD does not have one. I think its also a MAJOR step in the right direction in terms of GUI. the ipod gui is old and boring. I think the zune at its very least is good competition for Apple and will light a flame under its but. Good competition is what drives prices down and gives consumers more bang for their buck. I hope it does well and I hope that future zunes do well.

Remember, the iPod is a music player. KISS. If you want the FM function, buy the adapter. The iPod interface is about as good as it gets. Any of that fancy crap would just slow/dumb it down.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
The reasons I see for me to switch to a Zune are... uhm... none. The reasons for keeping my iPod are numerous.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
yes I can see that. but it's not simple as itunes does. that's the problem. I don't understand why you need to open window to set smart playlist? on mac, simply one click on pop up menu to choose new smart playlist. that's it.
That's because Apple obtained a patent on a whole laundry list of possible ways to access playlists inside jukebox software.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
That's because Apple obtained a patent on a whole laundry list of possible ways to access playlists inside jukebox software.

I still don't understand how it's possible to patent something like that. It's a GUI, and surely would be more a copyright issue.

On topic
No, I see no reason to change to a Zune. The only things it has over iPod is FM radio (I have one on my phone) and sharing, which I'll never use.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
not this time. if MS will offer mac compatible software like itunes, I will think about using for fun. but if they don't, it will be totally useless since I don't use windows in my mac. even bootcamp is not that much close.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
it does not spt mac osx, otherwise, its not bad at all. since i dont even own an ipod, lol......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.