Anyone check the processor speeds in the 8GB 3GS model?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Jul 7, 2010.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

I know Apple is trying to maximize profit margin by continuing the 3GS as a budget model ($99 on a 2 year subsidized contract) and has pure profit by just making 8GB model.

What I'm wondering is did Apple keep the processor the same underclocked speed of 600 mhz. I remember last year, the "experts" really said the processor on the 3GS was capable of 800 mhz but Apple down clocked the processor to 600 mhz.

So has anyone done a tear down and examined how fast the processor in the 3GS 8GB is running at?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I don't know why anyone in the US buys the 8GB model. It's different overseas where you can buy the phone outright but in the US where the two year contract price + upfront price differs only by the $100 between the models it makes sense just to get the 32GB iPhone 4. It sells here for A$719 unlocked, outright from the Apple Store and apple.com.au But I digress...

I don't believe the hardware is any different at all, they're just keeping the "$99" price point for last year's hardware at a lower capacity. It's still a great phone but if I were living in the US and was only limited to one carrier with a 2 year contract there's no way in hell I'd be getting the cheaper model.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It would be counter-productive on Apple's part to upgrade hardware on an old model when they are introducing a new phone.

They want people who want updated hardware to get iPhone 4. While others who want to save some money & may not like all the iPhone 4 problems to get the 3GS.