Anyone clean there UMBP black keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajohnson253, Feb 14, 2010.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I currently have a 15"UMBP, since the keyboard is black. I can some kind of wear on the keyboard, it seems shiner on the letters of it. Not as much of a matte like finish on them almost as if it's grease but I don't think it is.

Does anyone clean there keys? If so what are you using and can you still clean them while they're on the computer?

2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

3. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I just wipe the keys down with the microfiber clothe I got with the MBP for the screen...

4. Collider macrumors regular

Like gothamm said, I think the shiny effect is just standard wear-and-tear from everyday use; I take pretty good care of my laptop keyboards -- clean them pretty regularly with the microfiber cloth, or with those special keyboard wipes that come with laptop cleaning kits, &c -- and I've never yet had one that didn't get shiny on the most-used keys after a couple months of use.

It's just one of those things, I think.

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Yeah, you've worn the matte finish off. It's a badge of honor that says you're putting your computer to good use. Don't worry about it. There's nothing to be done, in any case.

FWIW, my 3.5-year-old original-issue (Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo) MBP with its aluminum-finish keyboard shows no wear of this sort, for some reason. The keys are plastic, I'm pretty sure, but they are not burnishing the way black plastic keys (for example on my ThinkPads) do. Wonder why.

6. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Get yourself a keyboard protector skin from moshi or iskin. I have a 6 month old MBP and it's black keys are like new. I am using a moshi protector right now and the typing experience is better than naked keys. With the skin typing is more tactile, quiet, and best of all requires no cleaning besides rinsing the skin in soapy water every month.

7. Eruanno macrumors newbie

At least this is a lot nicer than the white MacBook wear-and-tear. That is, your computer slowly moves towards a more "beige"-ish color and looks dirty.
    Thank heavens I bought a MBP instead, apart from dust on the screen and some of that keyboard wear-and-tear you mention, I could mistake it for being brand new.

8. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

It's "their" not "there"

Their - belonging to
    There - a place

:rolleyes: