Anyone come from a SP3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cnasty, May 27, 2015.

1. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I have had my Surface Pro 3 for 4 days. I recently sold my 11inch macbook air base configuration 2014 model.

I was growing tired of the mediocre screen but loved every single other aspect of the MBA.

So I got a i5/128 SP3 and really love the hardware as the screen is amazing and small footprint in the size. Great battery as well. Problem is the typepad cover is absolutely abysmal and I have scaling issues in the programs I use the most (OOTP).

I've never owned a rMBP and don't want to go back to the MBA. Is the weight that big of a difference and I am assuming the rMBP will be more powerful than both devices so its an actual uptick in performance and I will only end up paying about $100 extra after I return the SP3. My biggest concern is portability as I am on the go nonstop and need to carry it all day from meeting to meeting as well as battery life.

Should I go to to the macbook non pro or is that too big of a downgrade performance wise?

Any input on anyone coming from a SP3 or MBA will be greatly appreciated as I am looking to return soon as Best Buy only has a 15 day return policy.

Thanks in advance.

2. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Just get the rMBP13, it's more powerful and in terms to thickness, it's the thickest part of a MBA, so not nMB thin but much more practical then it.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

for more info :cool:

3. LittleLuth macrumors member

I recently bought and returned an SP3 for the same main reasons - that keyboard is awful. I now have a rMB. I came from a 2013 base model 13" Air - also because I disliked the non-retina display. I think from a base Air configuration you will not notice much difference with the rMB as it has more RAM and a faster SSD. Having said that my wife has an rMBP 13" and I will tell you that is a very nice, powerful machine that is very easy to carry around. It actually has a smaller footprint than the 13" Air and is very light. I would not hesitate to buy another.

4. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

I used a SP3 for a while, and I loved it specially the pen. But personally I just love the Mac OS and I only use the SP for note taking and design stuff. I didn't buy the keyboard cause I didn't use it at all and I had a Mac Keyboard connected to it.

The Macbook Pro does have a better processor than the macbook air or the SP3. However the new macbook has less power than any of those. I had the 15" classic MBP and it was darn heavy! I think close to 5Lbs but I really didn't mind and I walk a lot daily. The SP3 is really light and you will feel the extra weight but if you do need more power, then you have to sacrifice the weight. It all comes down to what you want to do. If you only type and browse the web, I think you'll love the new rMB.

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I still have a SP3 and bought it last November. I just got bored with it and it had been since 2010 when I last had a MBP. I figured this was the time to buy a 15" Retina MBP.

I put the SP3 back in it's box this morning the second I walked in with the new MBP.

For my uses, the MBP is mostly over kill but I wanted the Retina display on a 15" and the 16GB RAM was also a selling point.

My last Apple notebook I was using since selling the 2010 MBP was a 2008 black Macbook.

The MBP will also likely never leave my room unless I go out of town on vacation this summer. I do have a 2012 i7 Mini as my desktop but it's really just an iTunes server for my ATV2.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have and still use my Surface Pro 3.. I bought it in January of this year and love it. The portability, screen flexibility. Running windows is by far better then what I've experienced with what apple seems to be doing with Yosemite.

With that said, my 15" 2012 model is noticeably faster then my SP3. Now I have a quad core i7, so if you're looking at the 13" MBP, the performance difference may be closer to each other but I still it will be faster.

I agree that the scaling on the SP3/windows is inferior to what OS X can do. I was hoping to see an improvement in windows 10, but the tech preview I had on it (read past tense - win8 is back on my sp3) failed to do any scaling. That was why I reverted back to win8.

The type cover is serviceable imo, it could be better but its decent for my needs. The trackpad on the type cover is horrid, I take a portable mouse with me.

The SP3 isn't perfect, but its strengths line up nicely with my major needs, and its weaknesses don't get in my way too much.

Have you considered the rMB which has a retina screen, has virtually the same portability and ease of use as the SP3?

7. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

This is what I am deciding on. Keeping the SP3 another week (I have about 10 days left in my return window), getting the 13 RMBP, or getting the new rMB.

I honestly don't think I will get over the scaling issues and compromising on the type cover and a mouse set up. I also am not sure if I can see paying that much for the power of the rMB when I can get the rMBP for the same price with much more power and capability.

It comes down to portability which the sp3 and rMB will really lead the pack on. I'm not a huge power user so the rMB can suit my needs easily and will be a pleasure to tote around but is the size difference that drastic where I will regret carrying around a rMBP everyday 10 hours a day vs the rMB?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The thing is, if the type cover is bothering you, then the rMB may be a better option. While there has been some complaints about the rMB's keyboard, it is a big improvement over the SP3's type cover.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still buy the SP3 over the rMB but thats because what it offers over the rMB is what I want. The rMB is no slouch but its not something that I want to buy. I think my SP3 is a better machine (at least for me), but I can see for others the rMB is a better fit.

9. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I agree with you and that's why I think the rMBP is a better option for what i do and just sucking it up and dealing with the added weight of it versus settling for the sleek but underpowered rMB

10. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Decided on the rMBP 13 and returned my sp3. It was good at a lot of things but not great at anything.
    Also I just miss the apple experience of everything just working appropriately in regards to scaling and keyboard/trackpad use

I checked it out at BB and realized it wasn't as heavy as originally thought so that was a plus.

I appreciate all your feedback and excited as this is my first macbook pro.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Enjoy, in my opinion it's the best all round little laptop available.

12. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I set it up last night and forgot how beautiful a retina screen is. It is a tad heavier than I would like but to get all boxes checked besides that for a device it is worth it.

13. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I think the display on the MBP is much better then on the SP3. It's also less glossy which helps.

14. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I agree. I was watching some 4k video on youtube last night and said a couple times, wow.

I am rather impressed the speakers aren't as bad as I thought they would be either. And man is this trackpad amazing with the new technology. I am barely pressing it and its beautiful to work with.
    Glad to be home.