Anyone compared ATV2 and ATV3 back to back on the same network?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jetlife2, Sep 2, 2012.

1. jetlife2 macrumors regular

jetlife2

Hi all

I have JB'd ATV2 that I am considering selling because the prices are ridiculously high...

I don't use the XBMC much as I find the interface clunky, so I would replace with a current model ATV3.

Right now I have no problem with Netflix streaming on my ATV2 (OS 4.x) and I don't want to go backwards in quality. Has anyone compared quality back to back, all other variables held the same (Same network, provider, etc etc)? i.e. unplug the ATV2 and plug in the ATV3 and retest.

Thanks for input!

2. jdag macrumors 6502a

I just sold my ATV2s and replaced with ATV3s. I haven't "tested" per se, but I am very pleased with the 3s. The only advantage of the 2s is the jail braking option.

3. MFL2012 macrumors member

I didn't think I would notice much difference from ATV2 to 3, but I do. I did just as you described when I got my ATV3, tried Netflix on the 2, unplug, then try again on the 3, and the difference is noticeable. I have pretty good internet though. I assume that makes a difference.

4. jetlife2 thread starter macrumors regular

jetlife2

In which direction do you notice the difference...the 2 is better? Are you still satisfied with the 3? Thanks

5. MFL2012 macrumors member

The 3 is better. I bought it to take advantage of BR rips and 1080p iTunes content, but at least to my eyes Netflix is much improved as well. If you have fast internet I think you'll notice.

6. jetlife2 thread starter macrumors regular

jetlife2

Thanks

OK Thanks that is good to hear. Not sure what qualifies as "fast" any more...I have 30 down/5 up service. I notice a wide range of actual speeds: whether that is my provider or the host I am connecting to isn't obvious (speedtest.net reports the 30/5 but testmy.net reports 8-15/4).

Anyway, sounds like the 3 is at least as good as the 2, maybe better, so that's what I was looking for. Thanks!