Anyone concerned about the home button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noobinator, Sep 7, 2016.

1. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I'm really excited about a solid state home button since my others seem to get crunchy. I was hoping the implementation would be like the haptic trackpads in the MacBooks and that you don't even realize it's not an actual click.

I saw a tweet that I can't find now that said the home button is nothing like the MacBook and doesn't feel like a home button or a real button at all. Anyone read anything or hear anything yet on the home button?

2. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

3. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Let's wait to hear what John Gruber and Rene Richie have to say about the new button. I'm far more interested in their opinions than the verge who have a bit of a reputation fir trashing Apple.

4. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Some of the hands-on videos circulating show people pressing REALLY firm, like when you sometimes have to press extra hard on an Apple Watch to invoke force touch options. Maybe they are 'over pressing' but it looked odd.

5. noobinator thread starter macrumors 603

noobinator

But they are apple lovers. We need an unbiased source.

6. Richie2000 macrumors 6502

Richie2000

I am guessing it is going to feel really weird to begin with but after a few days we'll forget it ever felt any different.

There will be lovers and haters in the press all week. Only when it gets into the hands of the public will get meaningful feedback.

7. noobinator thread starter macrumors 603

noobinator

I'm looking forward to some YouTube first looks from mkbhd and others.

I wonder what else the home button will be able to do that the old one couldnt?

8. Sgt.ThroatPunch macrumors regular

Sgt.ThroatPunch

9. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Nilay didn't mind it, but Dieter Bohn thought it was terrible (read the text). He said it wasn't like the trackpads where it feels like a button is pressing, but rather like the whole bottom of the phone was clicking. I'd imagine it's not unlike the pop 3D touch gives you.

10. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Quite the opposite.

Reading a fluff review really doesn't mean much.

11. chimelime macrumors regular

That's funny because I swear The Verge was considered to be Apple biased.

I personally don't like the existing home button and look forward to trying the new home button.

12. Richie2000 macrumors 6502

Richie2000

In the write up they talk about it feeling like the whole bottom of the phone kicks. Saw similar comments on telegraph.co.uk and other sites

Looks like it's not behaving in the way people expect it to but I am sure it is something we will all get used to and won't give it a second thought after a few days.

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I asked this in another thread but here seems more appropriate...
    What is the point of the new home button? Is some functionality added by going from an actual click to a fake click imitated by the Taptic Engine?

14. noobinator thread starter macrumors 603

noobinator

Multiple levels of click, tap vs click, solid state has no moving parts so less to break.