Anyone connected a RMBP to a display yet, Apple or non-Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fig, Jun 14, 2012.

1. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I'm curious what sort of output the card puts through to an external display, particularly on one that isn't an official Apple-sized resolution. If there's a few apps that don't yet look quite like they should on the laptop screen but can be used plugged up at home (yes Maya, I'm looking at you) then that would make the RMBP much more of a possibility for me.

Anyone tried it out?

2. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

I'm wondering this as well, as I'll be connecting a Dell display at work.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It outputs a normal output that one would expect from mini display port on any other Apple computer, up to 2600x1600. If your monitor supports 2560x1440, it will output that.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Watch the video review from The Verge:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/13/3082649/macbook-pro-review-retina-display-15-inch

At one point in the video (about 03:25) they show dragging a window from the retina display to a (presumably) non-retina external monitor. The window stays roughly the same size, so it seems like it dynamically switches to no pixel doubling on external monitors.

For sure if you operate in 'clamshell mode' with the laptop closed and the external monitor being the only active monitor, apps should display exactly as they did before. No pixel doubling, no scaling.

5. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

Good to know, thanks. My concern was that the display options on the RMBP itself seem a bit odd ("Best" and the like) so I didn't know how those might translate to a normal display.

Thanks for the link, good info. That's exactly how I'd be planning to do, run it in closed lid for "work" projects and the like.

It's definitely a consideration then, now to wait a month or two to see if they explode/break/etc. :)

6. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Who cares? That's why you have warranty.

I got mine and i love it. :D

7. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

Not that I don't love Applecare, but my work/school/life schedule is too tight to be worried about explosions.

That's actually why I'm hesitant to go the direction of laptop plus external display, I really like having both a desktop and a separate laptop and being redundant if emergency calls.

8. wmage macrumors member

I wonder how would it work if you connected two 23 inch monitors @ 1920x1080.

I imagine it's gonna be quite hard to power three monitors, one of them Retina.

But then there's an easy solution of simply closing the lid and using monitors only.

Anybody tried plugging 2 monitors?

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It says in the tech specs that it supports the internal display as well as two external monitors at 2560x1600 each, so two 1080p externals should be no problem.

It will most likely use the NVidia GPU the whole time you are using the extra displays to allow it to handle that many pixels.

10. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

I use mine with 2 Apple Thunderbolt Displays (2560 by 1440), so i think it can handle 2 1080p screens. :D

11. puke macrumors regular

How does that work? For example, playing d3? on one of the connected screens?
    Laggy?

Reason for asking; the computer and screen have not yet been delivered to me. ^^

//Johan

12. wmage macrumors member

Tell me more, is the performance okay? Can you try a lot of apps?

I'm asking, because my 2009 MacBook Pro had *worse* performance when using *one* 2560x1440 display.

I noticed it after I got rid of the monitor - using the small screen suddenly felt so much faster.