Anyone considering returning the Touch and buying Archos 605 instead?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by electricrenaiss, Sep 19, 2007.

1. electricrenaiss macrumors member

If so, have you played around with Archos 605? How small or large is it?

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

3. iShak macrumors 6502

you know I have seriously thought about it, I even checked for the stock at my local stores.

but then I watched a video of Archos 605 WiFi on YouTube and it was slow .. you would tap a song title and it would take about a second to play that .. same goes for the navigation between menus .. very slow ...

the things I love are, 800 pixels wide screen .. I think it touches 220ppi (ipod touch=163ppi), flash support, codecs support, skining support, larger drive etc.

I am still not sure, I'll give iTouch a go first, if I like it I'll keep it or else I'll return it and get the Archos instead ..

4. jockmock macrumors regular

it looks like ****
    hdd drive with that interface and screen ---> slooooow
    too big

so no

5. RyanG macrumors 6502

I read somewhere that they released a software fix for the slow response. It was a review on Amazon.com - now I can't find it anymore :confused:

6. jay81 macrumors member

can if fit comfortably in your pocket like I touch? somtimes i cant even feel that its there

7. electricrenaiss thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly what I would like to know. If it can fit comfortably in my jeans pocket, that's a big plus. All the review for it point to a great looking screen for video-watching.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's not huge, but it's not that tiny, either. The iPod touch is ridiculously pocketable. The Archos is more of a purse/backpack device.

You give up a hell of a lot in the interface department, but otherwise the Archos is a really well-designed, extremely capable player, and more than a worthy contender for the touch. It all comes down to what you want from your particular device.

9. cmonster macrumors member

Very interesting...Of course I assume that you won't be able to play itunes protected content on it? Videos or music

10. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

While its bigger than the touch, its not too big for a (normal sized) pocket.

To get an accurate idea of the size, take out 1/3 of a pack of 2x4 notecards and you've got a fairly accurate model.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

apple's DRM, lol

12. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Tada!!!

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/5421-archos-605-vs-iPod-Touch-vs-iPod-Classic-160Gb

It's pretty good compared to other PMP's, but it's a brick compared to the iPod Touch and iPod Classic. I would consider it pocketable, but not comfortably so (as in keeping it with me all the time.)

I was considering getting this unit, but it's really no iPod when it comes to compatibility with iTunes, playing on the go, pay for AAC plugin, etc. It just doesn't seem like something I'd want to keep with me all the time, plus is more of a hassle to load content since I prefer iTunes.

The other option I actually considered was getting a 3G Nano, and a portable DVD player that plays Divx/MPEG4 content. That would be a cheap combo with good music playing with the Nano, and good video with the player. The DVD player isn't pocketable at all, but that's no big deal since I don't think I'd keep the Archos in my pocket either.

But I'm probably gonna just get a Touch again when the screen thing is fixed.

13. reidjr macrumors member

There are some minor issues with the wifi.

14. jlbrown23 macrumors member

This is so true - I have even panicked a couple of times because I couldn't feel it and thought it had fallen out of my pocket! And the interface is almost as amazing to me as the first time I used a Mac back in 1985...

No contest, go for the Touch.

FYI, this was written from my Touch while at lunch at Panera.

Jeff

15. pachnerg macrumors newbie

my dad had one of those... he felt the video and audio were good but the major downsides ere the speed of the internet(btw we dont have a slow connection, we have optimum[cable])and it was to big to drag around. FYI he now has a nokia 800 something internet tablet and loves it

16. Jayray78 macrumors newbie

Archos 605

I have the 605. Its great, but its also a pain in the ass. The player by itself is clunky, slow and large. The great part is in all the add ons you can buy to make it better. I use mine as a bridge to play downloaded movies and play them on my big screen. They come out with great sound and dvd quality picture. I had an iphone and returned it for my blackberry. A decision I regret. I loved my iphone, but I didn't really use it for playing movies. I hate the restrictions apple puts on the codecs that their players can decode. The archos can play just about anything. I suppose it comes down to what you are looking for in a player. If you want to be able to play movies while you are waiting for a bus then I would say the ipod is the way to go. If you want to have a larger screen for longer trips and don't mind hauling a larger piece of equipment along, then go for the archos. But really, if you are going to buy the archos at this point, you might as well get the Gen 5 and buy the newest one out. I have tons of complaints about the 605, but not enough to send it back. And if you are thinking about it, don't get the gps. That thing is garbage.

17. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy