Anyone considering these 4GB DIMMS for their MP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VirtualRain, Mar 24, 2009.

1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Hi, is anyone, particularly quad users, considering either of these 12GB memory kits?

Kingston 12GB (3x4GB): ($405)
    http://shop.kingston.com/PartsInfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR1066D3Q8R7SK3/12G

Crucial 12GB (3x4GB): ($560)
    http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT3KIT51272BB1067

Apparently the Xeon 35xx/55xx series will support Registered DIMMs just fine.

If you buy the Kingston, they have a 30-day money back satisfaction guarantee so it's no risk... I'd do it, but I'm in Canada and it's just more hassle/cost. It would be great for someone to order this kit and try it out in a Quad core. Worst case you're out some shipping. :p

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Is there a particular reason why you need registered memory?

3. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

No, but the unregistered (unbuffered) ECC 4GB DIMMS run at least triple to four times this price for some bizarre reason. Typically, registered DIMMS cost more, but not in this case... they are a fraction of the price, and rated exactly the same.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Do bear in mind the Mac Pro is the only officially released system that supports ECC DDR3 right now. I don't think I'm mistaken on this.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

There's a few DP boards and processors in the retail supply chain already (provantage and a few others). A few have already done it DIY. I've not seen yet it from another vendor though.

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Yeah I was more refering to the Mac Pros being the first thing to provide demand for ECC DDR3.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Well, they happened to be the first vendor out with a Nehalem Server/Workstation, so it makes sense for some strange reason. ;) :D :p

8. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

OWC is now selling 4GB DIMM's for the Quad or Octo...

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory

12GB is $749 (significantly higher than what I found above, but lower than previous unbuffered ECC 4GB sticks they or Apple were offering).

It's a good sign... after Gainstown has been out for a few months, this memory will probably get even more reasonable :D

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I assume as they are selling 4GB DIMMs for quads it has been confirmed they work now.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Other vendors may be waiting for a simultaneous release with Intel on March 29, so we may not have to wait that long. :D

The old competition thing...:p