Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
No, it's not because it doesn't work well. I actually find that it does a great job interpreting when I want to look at the watch. The problem is all of the false positives it creates when I'm just moving my arm around and don't intend to look at the watch. I can't help but feel that it's adversely affecting battery life, and it kind of bothers me to have it turning on and off all the time.

When you turn the feature off, a quick tap with your other hand is all it takes to activate the screen, which really is not a big deal, and I like that the screen stays on longer that way. I haven't decided which way I will go, but I think I'll try it for a day with it off and see how it works.

On a related note, even though I had "Resume to clock face" selected, it never seemed to work for me. It always seemed to go back to the app I was using beforehand, although maybe you have to not be interacting with the watch for a certain amount of time for it to go back to the face?

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
I don't have one, but frankly I have trouble visualizing this working. It can't know when your just looking at it unless it has a camera. Otherwise I can't see how this would work. It MUST be able to differentiate.

It seems to me this would drive me crazy after about 5 minutes. A gimmick.

I may be totally off. Explain to me why I am please.

arminta7

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Portland, OR
I've only had mine accidentally turn on maybe once or twice so far? So I haven't run into this issue.

I do think if it hasn't been that long it tries to resume your last app location.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I like the feature and really, in my one day use case, after 14 hours, I still had 40% battery left- I started at about 80% this morning.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I don't have one, but frankly I have trouble visualizing this working. It can't know when your just looking at it unless it has a camera. Otherwise I can't see how this would work. It MUST be able to differentiate.

It seems to me this would drive me crazy after about 5 minutes. A gimmick.

I may be totally off. Explain to me why I am please.

It doesn't literally know when you're looking at it, but it can use things like its gyroscope and accelerometer to tell when you're moving it into a typical "I'm checking my watch" position. As I said, it actually does work really well for the most part (especially if you're not lying down or something -- that seems to throw it off a bit).

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I've only had mine accidentally turn on maybe once or twice so far? So I haven't run into this issue.

I do think if it hasn't been that long it tries to resume your last app location.

There's a setting to have it go back to last app or the watch face.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.