Anyone contemplating returning their 3G because of the "chipset" rumor?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cubedweller, Aug 14, 2008.

1. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Just curious if anyone is considering returning their new iPhones. It has definitely crossed my mind.

Anyone else?

~E

2. slicecom macrumors 68020

Mine works perfectly, why return it over a rumour that doesn't affect me? :confused:

3. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

If it's a) true, b) admitted/proved and c) fixed I suspect that in the UK Apple would be forced (by the Sale of Goods Act if nothing else) to swap out for new iPhones.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Maybe I'm wrong, but if the chipset does, in fact, turn out to be faulty, won't there just be a mass recall of all 3G phones? They everyone will be able to exchange it for a replacement.

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

6. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

I would hope so. But I have a feeling they will just deny..deny..deny.. Isn't this similar to the reports about the MBP nVidia 8600GT M cards? People claim their faulty but both Apple and nVidia are silent on the issue.

I think their first concern is their profits. A recall would be hugely expensive for Apple they will avoid this at all costs.

So I just don't know. Right now I'm pretty sure I'll stick with my 3G but I am interested in what others have to say about the situation.

~E

7. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Mine seems to be working fine. I have issues only at my desk and at home but still can make and receive calls. Just that it bounces a lot. I've always had problems in these two places even before this phone. My thinking with the rumor is that the phone is under warranty for a year. If i feel over more time it isn't working properly, then i will take action. With all the complaints, Apple is well aware of the problem. Let's see if it can be fixed with a software update. If not, i wonder if they will replace them. I just don't feel the rush to do anything now since i don't have any major problems.

8. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

The MBP nVidia issue is really makes me upset. Mine is almost a year old. In Oct. it will be a year. I'm going to get Applecare because of this. I've actually never had to buy Applecare before. The laptop is my 3rd BIG purchase from Apple and to this day, the 2 other desktops i have work perfectly fine. But with this news, i have no choice since they won't fess up.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I'm returning mine because I heard there will be a better phone in 2009. And I'm pre-returning that one for the 2010 model.

10. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

You are quite easy to be satisfied. You're having issues with connections at home and at work, and you are quite alright with that?

I am on the other hand, going nuts that I can't get calls using 3G at the two places where I spend most of my days.

11. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I would only be dissapointed if the new chipset gave better speed throughput.

As of right now I dont get dropped calls but the 3G speeds can be iffy sometimes, although I have seen it go high as 800-900 Kbps.

I havent experienced any dropped calls or dropping to edge frequency even when my 3G signal was at 1 or 0 bars. I'm assuming that can be fixed with a software update.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Because they are issues that existed with previous phones. Read the post.

Those issues do not warrant any dissatisfaction with Apple and therefore do not warrant a return of the phone as this thread is discussing.

I too have issues at work. But I had reception issues at work before I got the iPhone. That big steel and brick building just isn't the greatest for reception. However, I'm moving to a window cube soon! :)

13. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Personally if I was in her situation I would switch network...what's the point of having a phone if you can't use it? So the fact she's quite content, I am not sure how.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I would return a phone based upon its actual performance. I don't care what parts are inside as long as they work as promised.

15. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I saw an MSNBC article about this issue this morning. Apple is supposedly coming out with a software update the end of this month or early September to fix this (2.1???).

16. cantankerously macrumors regular

Making decisions based on rumor is just asinine.

17. aneftp macrumors 68040

They aren't going to have a new chipset in later productions of the iphone 3g. Just a software update. To my knowledge, never in the history of cell phones has there ever been a "cell phone" recall like we see in a lot of consumer products like cars, baby strollers, laptop batteries.

This is how cell phones are recalled: They just bring out a new reversion in 8-12 months and never admit a problem with the old version.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Working fine at present, I'm looking forward to an update any day now...

19. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Mine seems fine the majority of the time, so no

20. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I had the same problems with my past 2 phones. Actually the 3G Blackjack 2 that i had before the iPhone was WORSE. Way worse.

I was just saying those are my problem areas and really have always been.

I'm unhappy with the 2.0.1 software and hope an another update will fix the bugs.

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'd normally agree with you (why wait to buy when something new comes out every 6 months) but if they really did put a gimped/"immature" GPS radio in the initial batches of the 3G I'll probably see if I can get a replacement. It's not a new feature, it should have been there in the first place :)

22. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

If you ever do ANYTHING in your lifetime based on what an "analyst" has said, you need to lock yourself in a rubber room and throw away the key.