Anyone currently using 3G iphone in Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silverblack, Feb 12, 2009.

1. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I will be visiting Hong Kong for a couple of months, and need help finding answers for a few questions.

1. Which cellular carrier is most compatible with iphone features, is it '3'? or not much differences?
    2. Do you know of any carrier that offer prepaid service with data for iphone?
    3. If not, do you think I can activate my own 3G iphone (unlocked) on a monthly plan without any contract, then terminate contract in 1-2 months?

Thanks in advance.

2. boogworm macrumors newbie

Hong Kong legally unlocked iPhone.

I use a Hong Kong iPhone in Missouri, and it works perfectly with T-mobile, as I simply put in the sim card, and everything functions perfectly. ALL iPhones should be legally unlocked such as this one. I am purchasing one for my wife too.
    Sadly, one cannot purchase one from the apple.hk site as they only mail them to Hong Kong.

3. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

You misunderstood me. I want to take a North American iphone to use in Hong Kong. Not the other way around. Of course, I plan to jailbreak and unlock before I do so.

4. bunsonburner macrumors newbie

1) '3' or 'smartone'
    3) There is no monthly plan without contract. You can buy the phone card.

5. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

All cellular carriers will work with the iPhone 3G (they're all UTMS/GSM). I'm currently on a contract with 3HK. They offer data on prepaid SIM cards. I think they come in $50 and $100 HKD types.

You will not be able to sign a monthly plan unless you have a HKID or HK passport and have a valid address (not hotels :rolleyes:) . However prepaid cards can be bought with just some money.

6. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

I have HKID and home address of my relatives; however, signing contract may be a problem.

I think I'll go with prepaid SIMs if 3 offers data on them. Could you tell me more about these data prepaid SIMs, are they a special kind of SIMs that come with data?

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

They're standard USIMs, I think you need to manually input the APN data. Here it is: mobile.three.com.hk