Anyone disappointed with their iPhone 7 battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mokiwi, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Mokiwi, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016

Mokiwi macrumors newbie

Hi, just wondering if anyone is disappointed with their iPhone 7 battery life (not because of a software bug or faulty device just with daily use)?
    I am currently using an iPhone 5s, finished my contract back in march and held out upgrading until the 7 came out (even though my phone pretty much needs to be permanently connected to power). It's finally available here in South Korea so I played with both the 7 and 7 plus in the carrier store yesterday, for my lifestyle and moderate use I think the the 7 would be suitable but doing research on the internet last night there seems to be a bit of disappointment with the battery life with the 7, battery down to 30-40% by late afternoon / early evening with moderate use. I want to be able to get through to the evening or even bed time if possible without thinking about charging. Sick and tired of looking for a power source or taking a portable battery pack wherever I go. I don't play games or watch videos, just have a couple of news apps, fitness tracking, listening to the radio and podcasts, surfing the web and the odd whatsapp chat and occasional photo. The 7plus is so tempting because of the supposedly monstrous battery even if it seems to be a bit of an awkward size. Apologies for the long post, any comment would be welcome and appreciated.

2. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

I do that with my 7, an occasional game too, and I am getting 2 days between changes.

3. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

With the 3.5 Jack being deleted, the additional two hours of battery life is noticeable. But then, it also depends on how your using your iPhone and what for, which will ultimately determine the battery life.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'm actually surprised how good the battery is on my iPhone 7.

6. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

It sounds like my usage is similar to yours and my battery is anywhere from 25-50% at the end of the day.

7. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Nope. Been going 1.5/2 days before I have to charge.

8. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

If I used my 7 Plus like I did my 6 I think I could easily get 2, maybe 3 days out of it. I'm using Apple music a LOT via 3G and at home it hunts for a 4G signal a lot, and I'm usually getting through a full day without the need to charge. It's not a huge a battery as I hoped, but considering what I'm doing, it is pretty good.

9. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

everyones use case is different. My battery is usually dead by 4pm. Then i charge it before charging it again when i go to bed

10. 2macORnot2mac macrumors regular

2macORnot2mac

Yes. 6S didn't get me through the day. Hopped the 7 would be better. Not much. Got the battery case. Amazing batter life. Took it back and got the 7plus. Feels smaller than the 7 and battery case. Great battery life. Life complete.

11. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Very much dependent on your usage. Although if battery life is your only concern with the current phone then why don't you just get the battery replaced?! 5S is still a solid phone. Also look at iPhone SE if you're happy with the size.

12. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

Get that battery case or just go get a plus model

13. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

14. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I've had one disappointing day when I watched far too many YouTube videos in Safari and my battery was dead by about 6pm. Lesson learned, use the YouTube app instead of Safari for videos.

Other than that I'm really pleased. I've been awake for 50 hours, actually it's probably more than that now. But during that time my iPhone 7 Plus was used a LOT. I was shocked earlier when I checked my battery status (I was at 5%) but it had 28 hours of standby and 11 hours of use. Mostly Safari, couple hours of Netflix, several hours of Apple Music and the rest, the usual suspects of iMessage and so on. Everything using LTE.

I've never seen that on any iPhone I've owned and like I say, it was a lot at actual use because I've been awake so long. Should have taken a screenie before I charged it up but oh well.

Incidentally, has anyone else noticed how quick this bugger charges when you use the iPad Pro USB-C charger? I'm sure it seemed very quick. Though time is pretty vague in my state just now :D going to have to put my meter on it next time and see what current it's pulling down.

15. foxconn Suspended

5hrs usage. 13hrs standby.. 50% remaining.

I'm more than happy.

Main usage is text, whatsapp, safari, instagram and snapchat.

16. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Mine was really good the first week or so, but the last couple is has been pretty bad. Restarting (several times) hasn't helped, even deleted a couple of apps that I installed recently thinking maybe they were doing something in the background (even though the battery monitor said they did not). Thursday I didn't pair my Apple Watch with it to see if that was doing something, and didn't make a difference. Friday I went further and I didn't even use it, just left it off the charger. By the end of the day it was 23%. Look at the battery afterwards it just said mail and home & lock screen taking the most. Guess the next step is to do a restore :(

17. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Check your system services. A few people have said that has been using a lot of data and battery.

18. Mokiwi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone who replied, much obliged folks. I think I will get the 7. The 7 plus is just too big and cumbersome especially for exercise. By all accounts the battery of the 7 seems to be fine and not as bad as what has been reported on the net. Now all I need to decide is the colour. Leaning towards the Jet Black, even if it is a finger print magnet the colour is so similar to my old iphone 3GS-loved that one. I'll just use a clear case to protect it. Cheers.:)

19. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

21hrs 53 min standby, 6hrs 31 min usage (36% music from Apple music over 3G streamed to Bluetooth speaker, 23% facebook, 13% safari and the rest 6% or lower), with 46% battery left.

Slowly getting better