Anyone Do An Apple Store Upgrade Swap? How'd It Go?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SiskoKid, Jun 24, 2010.

1. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

Hey, guys!

I am hoping to keep this on the front page because I wanna know how people who picked up a reservation at an Apple Store handled the upgrade swap. Was Apple able to do it? Did you have to go to an AT&T store afterwards? Did Apple allow you to leave without activating the phone?

Just wondering how people today will handle this so the rest of us who are picking up their phones later today and will be doing phone swaps will be better prepared.

2. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

I would like to know as well. I have 2 reserved for pick up tomorrow AM at an Apple store and one will be activated on a line other than the one ordered for.

3. christyn macrumors 6502a

Also curious if anyone has had luck today.

I contacted AT&T last night, they swapped everything around, but in iTunes it still showed the original # instead of mine. Still was doing the same thing this morning, prefer to not stop back into AT&T tonight with all the craziness...

4. SiskoKid thread starter macrumors 6502

Bumping this cause it left the front page a long time ago.

Any peeps upgrade swap at an Apple Store?

5. Soma Addict macrumors newbie

Bump, I am very interested in this topic.

From what i understand it should go smooth, but so was pre-ordering and everything else surrounding this launch.

Anyone with some experience for today care to enlighten us?

6. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

They had an AT&T representative in the Apple Store in Otay Ranch and did the upgrade swap in the store. No trip to the AT&T store was necessary. It took an extra 15 minutes.

7. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Alright so I call in to do an upgrade swap. The lady asks for my IMEI and CCID number. I give it to her, she switches it up in just a few minutes, so alright cool. THEN I mention to her I want to keep my unlimited data plan, mind you I sold my 3GS, switched to the original iPhone for the time being so I was under the unlimited $20 data plan. She then proceeds to tell me that I CAN'T stay unlimited because it is exclusive to current 3G unlimited customers only. I told her she was wrong, and AT&T press release statements even confirm this and that I'd like to speak to someone who knows what they are doing. I was then told she was 'sorry that I'm misinformed' and I basically called her a ****ing idiot, hung up and proceeded to activate my iPhone 4 through itunes. Well, the number I wanted switched DID show up in iTunes so that was good, BUT it stalled on the 'waiting for activation' screen for several minutes. I called back, ended up speaking to a different rep and the guy took my IMEI and CCID once again and set up the swap. I expressed to him I wanted to keep my unlimited data plan, he spoke with a manager, had him manually put it in and I'm all set. You have to really be careful with who you speak to with AT&T, don't take their word for **** until someone else gets it right.

8. zacware macrumors member

I got my iphone yesterday via fedex. I spent 4 hours trying to get the upgrade swap working. The first 4 times I called AT&T the reps had no idea how to do it. The 5th time I got hold of someone who spent almost an hour with me trying to get it to work. In the end, I wound up going to the AT&T store and they did the upgrade swap in 5 minutes by putting a new SIM in both phones.

9. highertechnology macrumors 6502a