Anyone done a before/after on GPS performance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by synagence, Jun 25, 2010.

1. synagence macrumors 6502a

Hi Folks

Not seen much of this around ....

Just wondering if anyone who had navigon/tomtom type app on iPhone 3GS (without tomtom cradle) and now had tried on iPhone 4

I know there is a new GPS chip meant to be faster and with the new antenna design, just wondered if the iPhone 4 was really capable now of operating as accurately and as responsive as a stand-alone GPS device.

Looking to replace my Garmin Nuvi satnav with one of the GPS apps but didn't wanna drop the coin on the cradle (which i guess might not even fit anymore properly)

Seen lots of comparisons of features for everything else but not a side-by-side type on GPS

Cheeers people
    Jamie

2. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Much much much better on the iPhone 4.

On my old 3G the Tomtom app was unusable without the Tomtom dock.

Now with the iPhone 4 it works perfectly (so far) without the Tomtom dock. I've got it sitting in an airvent mount and speed of response & accuracy is exactly what you would expect from a standalone unit. Impressed with the phone's GPS now.

3. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

Alot better than my 3GS. At work since I am inside a building it would put me a mile away, now with 4 it puts me about 100 yards away.

4. allonym macrumors regular

Quick test with Motion X GPS app:

3GS, accuracy 251 ft
    iPhone 4, accuracy 33ft

Phones side-by-side, indoors (but on top floor)

iPhone 4 is much quicker at acquiring the signal too.

5. mdkrebs11 macrumors member

GPS Disappointing w/ Navigon

Just tried it with Navigon last night for the first time and, to tell you the truth, the gps was worse than on my 3GS. Took forever to get a lock on my location, kept losing my location throughout the drive, was incredibly laggy, would tell me to turn a good 2-3 minutes after the turn had come up...really disappointing. Navigon on my 3GS was bulletproof. Hands down the best gps unit I have ever used (including several top of the line Garmin units). I don't believe Navigon has released an updated version for 4.0 yet because it stopped working when I opened a new app (I.e. Didn't continue running in the background). But I've seen a video of Navigon running on 4.0 so I assume an update is coming soon. Hope it fixes the issues I experienced last night.