Anyone done a dual W5590 yet?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by calderone, Sep 19, 2009.

1. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Searching led me to some inklings of someone at least buying the CPUs. But has anyone actually done this yet? I am thinking about grabbing a 2.26ghz and doing this.

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

:cool: I am going to. I have a pair coming but they got stuck in customs for the week end. I'm also waiting for my 2,26 which I got refurbished with a 400€ discount. My heart would have bled if I had been forced to buy a new one from Apple after they pissed me off by their firmware policies. But soon I hope to have the fastest Mac on earth, at least for a few months until Tutor figures out how to tweak one or Apple goes 12 cores. :cool:

As soon as the new one is up and running I will put my 3,0 GHz Octad on the market. I expect it to go on Ebay.de next week end.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I thought about it, even bought the 3mm wrench for it, and new Shin Etsu thermal paste.

Well I've concluded that it wasn't worth it, so I just replaced the thermal paste on my computer.

I did notice something peculiar; if you read the Anandtech on where the guy says the CPU must have slipped or something, I don't know if he mentioned it, but there is a plastic clamp that holds the lidless Nehalem in place. I don't know if this is something they just started doing or not, but it surprised me a little.