Anyone done commercial fishing? experiences?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MasterNile, Apr 12, 2009.

1. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

So lately I'm really considering doing commercial Alaskan crab fishing, and I'm looking to see if anyone on this forum has experience with this or other types of commercial fishing.

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Never done it. My question is, have you watched Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel? that is some brutal s***.....

3. MasterNile thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Yeah, the other night I saw a documentary about crab fishing and seemed like hard work but good pay, and adrenaline filled. Then, after I saw that, Discovery started doing their Deadliest Catch marathon. I've done a little bit of research and it seems like if you can get a job on a good boat after you've worked your way up you can make some good money. I figure if I try it for about 2 months and don't like it I don't have to go back, and I'll still have the life experience from it.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Depends on how long you can stay awake in the freezing cold and how many weeks you can keep it up on short sleep.

5. MasterNile thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Well I plan on conditioning myself to work on low amounts of sleep before ever going out for a commercial fishing job, the cold I can't really get my body used to it in Texas where I currently live, but I do well in the cold, much better than in the heat.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I did low sleep and long hours of school and work for a summer semester once in my life, it was really really odd taking catnaps and scheduling a day off to sleep a week in the future.

Now I cannot do it, get something akin to itchy toes and restless leg syndrome after about 20 hours -- if I wait 20-30 hours longer the caffeine jitters and itchy skin will have me raving and running around naked.

7. MasterNile thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I'll be up 24 hours at a time sometimes because I work graveyard shift then sometimes have stuff to do during the day, but then I have to crash and catch up on sleep for like 8-12 hours. That's something I need to work on so I can be up 24 hours and only sleep about 4 hours. If I'm only out at sea for 2 months I think I could do on little sleep for that long, but not much longer than that.