Anyone downgrade from SS to Sport?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gusping, Jun 9, 2015.

1. gusping macrumors 6502

So lots of people seemed to upgrade from the Sport model to the SS model but has anyone done the opposite and downgraded to the sport model?

I returned my SS model because it seemed super slow and the coating over the sapphire screen scratched making the point of having sapphire useless. I'm debating whether to get the sport model or not....

2. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Super slow how? I don't think switching models would help with that unless there was something wrong with your original watch.

If you managed to scratch the coating on the sapphire, which even I doing landscaping work amongst a lot of grit and sand haven't done (yet), then I can't imagine what you will do to Ion-x. But the Sport model has a lower price point so perhaps you will mind the flaws less at the lower cost. It may be worth looking into. Good luck with your choice.

3. Bargle, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015

Bargle macrumors regular

My initial plan was for a SS with the classic leather strap, but once I tried them on I realized that the SS models seemed like a "steampunk" aesthetic encasing a futuristic electronic device. Like using the clock face, stainless steel is skuemorphic, purposefully anachronistic and backwards looking. I'll take my tech. futuristic thank-you-very-much.

4. meikdunj macrumors regular

Had mine SS for over a month, not a single mark on the sapphire so don't know how you managed to get 'scratches over it'.

5. Mackneezie macrumors regular

Mackneezie

I originally wanted the SS but after trying it on the SG seemed to look better on me. I'm not a flashy type guy, current watch is a dark grey, but I am still trying to decide whether I really want one or not.

6. gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

The actual screen was fine. it was just the coating. No idea how it happened as i barely went out with it. Poor quality control i guess. I've survived without the watch for over a month now so maybe I don't need one... I just love tech products though which probably was the reason i got it in the first place.

7. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Downgrading from 42mm link bracelet to 42mm SG BSB (replaced with classic buckle)

I want the lightest weight combination possible. I don't want to lug around a chunk of metal.

8. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Is it really that heavy to "lug around"? :rolleyes:

9. flur macrumors 68000

Yep. There's this idea that if you can scratch the sapphire coating then it's no better than the ion-x. The truth is that anything that would scratch the sapphire coating is going to do the same to the ion-x, but with ion-x you're also going to get lots of other scratches on top of that one freak coating scratch, until the thing is barely usable.

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I changed my mind from Stainless to SG after seeing them in the store - I just found the SS too "blingy" for my tastes and preferred the understated look of the SG.

11. mac.cali macrumors 65816

That's the great thing about selection. We all have a choice of what we can select. :)

12. gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

There is no such thing as a sapphire coating. The oleophobic coating on top of the sapphire scratched. The exact same stuff is used on the sport model too.

13. flur macrumors 68000

Yep. "Sapphire coating" = "coating on top of Sapphire", and that's it. If you scratch it on the SS, you'd be no better off with ion-x. You're just more likely to scratch the glass itself on ion-x.

Over time, coating scratches will fade, but glass scratches are forever.

14. woodynorman macrumors 6502a

I "downgraded" from the 42SS to a 42 Sport space grey. I had the SS for a few days, with the sport on order. The sport showed up today, and there's no question to me. The SS is going back. I agree with previous posts about it being heavy....compared to the sport it is. Im not a big watch guy, and with the SS, it felt like I was wearing a watch. But with the sport, I can't even tell its there.

I also agree with a previous poster about the speed of the SS vs sport. The sport does seem to be a bit "peppier". I think the buttons are a tad more responsive on the sport, and for sure the haptic feedback is stronger on the sport.

The sport just feels like a better fit for me. I am worried about scratching it, but I bought Applecare so Im not really stressing about it.