Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zonck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
I’m expecting to be met with a resounding no. But has anybody ‘downgraded’ from the Ultra 1 to an Apple Watch series 9. I enjoyed the ultra at first, but for the past few months have been finding it quite bulky and I don’t like sleeping in it etc, my workouts are mainly running and was thinking about going back the regular ‘Series’ as my S7 was one of my favourite devices. Has anyone else done this and how did they find it? Was there anything you missed that I’m forgetting?

Edit; I grant you downgrading might not be the word I’m after but you follow my sentiment.

Last edited:

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
At first, I thought you meant sending the AW back to Apple to downgrade from OS 10 to 9, hehe, but no I’m sticking to the flat screen of the Ultra no matter the bulk. I don’t use the Action button because I can’t undo the way I squeeze the AW to press the side button, but I’m fine without it. For me, it’s all about the ease of use of the screen. [edit: unfortunately WOS 10 means I’m viewing more screens than before. Sigh. ]

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
My only issue with the design of the Ultra is the sharp edges on top. I’d rather they not have the lip and just round the top edge.

Reactions: rKunda

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
My only issue with the design of the Ultra is the sharp edges on top. I’d rather they not have the lip and just round the top edge.

This. I’ve got used to it, but there’s no reason to not chamfer I’d. I don’t understand why they did this.

codeunrwolfpack

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2009
I actually did that with the Series 9, but the Series 9 looked like a toy on my wrist compared to the Ultra. I like the Modular Ultra complication too and that's not on the Series 9, so I took it back and got the Ultra 2.

Reactions: Zonck

Bichon

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2019
"Downgrading" seems like a bit of a loaded term for what you'd be doing, especially if you are considering the stainless steel version of the series 9 with the sapphire crystal. When the Ultra initially came out, I went to the Apple store with every intention of buying one, but just couldn't get over how thick and bulky it felt on my wrist, and left empty handed. Tried on the Ultra 2 in the store when picking up my pre-ordered series 9 on launch day, and again the bulk and size instantly removed any doubt that I'd made the right choice (for my needs and small wrist).

Zonck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
I actually did that with the Series 9, but the Series 9 looked like a toy on my wrist compared to the Ultra. I like the Modular Ultra complication too and that's not on the Series 9, so I took it back and got the Ultra 2.
This is what I’m worried about. Will the 45 feel tiny now I’m used to the 49mm ultra

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
why is it downgrading?
Two different devices one aimed at a specific group while the other is aimed at a wider audience.

Zonck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
"Downgrading" seems like a bit of a loaded term for what you'd be doing, especially if you are considering the stainless steel version of the series 9 with the sapphire crystal. When the Ultra initially came out, I went to the Apple store with every intention of buying one, but just couldn't get over how thick and bulky it felt on my wrist, and left empty handed. Tried on the Ultra 2 in the store when picking up my pre-ordered series 9 on launch day, and again the bulk and size instantly removed any doubt that I'd made the right choice (for my needs and small wrist).
Yes, perhaps you’re right. I just meant from the Ultra line back to regular series line. They’re two different products I grant you.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Yes, perhaps you’re right. I just meant from the Ultra line back to regular series line. They’re two different products I grant you.
I have the ultra 1 and a slew of 42mm.
Surely not the same. I would have trouble giving up one for the other.
My series 5 is just as good as my series 8

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
No downgrade here -- the bezel is an essential way of protecting the crystal and the Ultra's extra battery life is the bare minimum for me coming as I do from Garmin. I was a bit disappointed Apple did not use the new processor to gain battery life with less consumption and better power management ..... so I'm sticking with my first generation Ultra. (Also holding on to my iPhone 13 Pro Max for another year as it's still pretty much running as good as new with the new OS). We'll see in the next few years, I guess, what happens first between Apple discovering week-long battery life or Garmin discovering smartphone calling interaction. The Ultra has saved me on a number of occasions from missing important phone calls in a way I just didn't foresee, but the frequent charging is a nuisance.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I really think you should change the title of your post, “downsizing” might be more appropriate.
Having said that, I went Ultra 2 from Ultra, and I still wear my S7 Ti for sleep tracking every other night, but I have no desire to wear it during the day.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I have the Ultra 2 and my year old AW8 45. I decided to keep both watches because there’s a case for each one. I love the bigger screen and brightness of the Ultra 2 and the modular ultra face is really cool. It is a bit bulky on my smaller wrist, but it only took me about a day to get used to it. I figure that I’ll travel with the AW8. I do a boxing workout with a heavy bag a few days a week and I can’t fit the ultra under my gloves, so I wear the AW8 for that. For other things, I wear the Ultra 2. I do love the flat screen. My only complaint about the AW8 was the curved screen.

If I were forced to choose, I would end up with the AW8 because it’s size is a little more workable in all cases where there are some cases that the Ultra 2 just doesn’t work for me. But I am liking the Ultra 2 and am working it into my life. I think that I will end up keeping it and seeing how it goes over the year. If it ends up not being a good fit, then I’ll likely trade both in next year for an AW SS. And then there are all of the rumors surrounding AW X. My perfect watch would be an Ultra styled watch with the flat screen and maybe a 46mm screen.

Reactions: Zonck and bruinsrme

Zonck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
I really think you should change the title of your post, “downsizing” might be more appropriate.
Having said that, I went Ultra 2 from Ultra, and I still wear my S7 Ti for sleep tracking every other night, but I have no desire to wear it during the day.
Good call. Just did it; didn’t realise you could edit titles after posting!

Reactions: jz0309

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
the modular ultra face is really cool.

So much this. I was on the fence, actually, but the modular ultra face tipped the scale in favor of the Ultra. It‘s just extremely useful to have so many glanceable complications.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
So much this. I was on the fence, actually, but the modular ultra face tipped the scale in favor of the Ultra. It‘s just extremely useful to have so many glanceable complications.
That’s exactly what got me to give it a try. It’s a definite selling point!

Reactions: the future

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
I always wanted the longest battery life and the most items on one face. The ultra 2 gave me those. Im about practicality and not looking at cute snoopy or sun animations. I often travel and I almost gave up on owning a smart watch because I find charging one daily annoying and I dont want to carry around and plugging in another charger during a weekend trip. it's one extra daily task. I went from stating that im giving up on the hassle of wearing a watch to enjoying wearing the Ultra 2. If I had to give up the Ultra, I would quit wearing watches altogether.

livspop

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
This is what I’m worried about. Will the 45 feel tiny now I’m used to the 49mm ultra
This was absolutely the case for me. I ordered and received the 9 in stainless steel to replace my Ultra because I have a tendency to bump it a lot. But it took me about one day to realize I made a mistake. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to the 45mm. Swipe keyboard is much easier to use and it's easier for me to see overall. I returned the 9 and cancelled my trade-in with no problems. Just my experience. I like to have the latest and greatest, but just see no reason to upgrade to the Ultra 2. That's a big step for me! :p

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
I’ve become quite attached to my ultra, it’s probably my favourite ever piece of tech. I couldn’t and wouldn’t consider downsizing to the 45mm or smaller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.