Anyone download istat widget on a Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JRob65a6, May 21, 2009.

1. JRob65a6 macrumors regular

JRob65a6

I just downloaded the istat for my Macbook Pro and I noticed that it shows only one fan running. I know the Macbook Pro Unibody has two fans. Should they both run together or separate? Is the istat widget accurate on its information? Just wondering if anyone with a new Macbook Pro has downloaded this and the fans are really tracked separately on the istat widget. Maybe I'm overreacting but I want to fix it if it's not working. I noticed it does get hot sometimes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I use this all the time. It shows a left and right fan both which idle around 2000. What does yours show?

3. JRob65a6 thread starter macrumors regular

JRob65a6

no only the left fan runs around 2000 rpm....... the right reads 0 rpm all of the time.

4. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

mine works fine

sounds like you have a fan that isn't spinning

get it fixed

try using SMCfancontrol to manually speed up the fans and see if you get any results out of your dead fan

Attached Files:

5. JRob65a6 thread starter macrumors regular

JRob65a6

Thank You MLemonsDS.

I downloaded that app and the right fan is not running. I just wasn't sure how and if the fans should run all of the time.

Attached Files:

6. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I do not have a MacBookPro, but yes, both fans should run. I have checked my buddies & colleagues before, and they're always both running.

CrackBookPro:cool:

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Bring it into apple. Make sure you can't hear it first (just in case there is a reporting error). The fans are controllable but not independently as it would make no sense due to the cooling architecture. (one heatsink for gpu and cpu, and northbridge chipset leading to both fans)

8. JRob65a6 thread starter macrumors regular

JRob65a6

I just noticed that the right fan runs for a few seconds and then stops but it never runs over 350 rpms. I turned the right one up to 6000 rpms and then listened for the fan but no luck. I turned the left fan to 6000 rpms and I heard it speed up. I'm wondering if there may be something more than just a fan, like whatever controls the fans. Im going to take it in tomorrow. I've never had to take it in, If they have to fix something do they keep it and I have no laptop or how does that work? Also I upgraded the hard drive, will this be an issue with apple care? Maybe them saying I might have messed it up......
    I'm a worrier sorry guys....

Oh I used the SMCfancontrol to speed them up separately. I didn't physically see them both run or not run. So they can or cant be controlled independently?

9. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

if you have the old hdd and are not using it for something else i would put it back in and install OSX on it. just in case they want to exchange machines, you will be prepared and not have to explain the swap. swapping hdds had nothing to do with the problem that you are having.

i am not able to control mine separately

10. JRob65a6 thread starter macrumors regular

JRob65a6

Hold On! Swap it out (the laptop I Mean)? I bought this computer brand new and I paid well over $3000 for it. Will they give me another brand new one or a refurbished?

I'm hoping brand new.

11. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i dont know their store policy inside and out, but when my MBA had screen issues after i had it for 2 weeks they offered to give me a new one.

i elected to have the money put toward a new MBP

12. JRob65a6 thread starter macrumors regular

JRob65a6

I'm hoping so because my only concern is if I wanted a refurbished one I would have got one and saved some cash. If they offer me a refurbished one I will go nuts. I don't mind spending the money on things but I'm very big on not just throwing money away or losing money in this case. I'm all about the new and not owning anyone elses stuff that they didn't want even if there weren't any issues with it. I will let everyone know how it went tomorrow when I get back from Apple. Im going there around noon. Thank you everyone again.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You won't get a refurbed model. Fans are too easy to replace. Most of us would opt to switch out or even nuke and backup our hard drives for the sake of data privacy when sending to Apple, especially since they will format if they feel its an OS issue.

14. JRob65a6 thread starter macrumors regular

JRob65a6

okay well I just opened my MBP up to swap hard drives and the right fan was not functioning. I noticed the blades were a little farther out than the left. I gave it a little push and it popped back. Turned on the machine and no more issue. Put it back together and seems to be fine now.

Guess I dont get the chance to test out Apples repair policy.

Just so everyone does know, they can be ran independently.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Good to now you had it easily resolved.

16. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

i just wonder if that motor was just sitting there humming, wasting battery. Did the battery life get better after you fixed it?

17. JRob65a6 thread starter macrumors regular

JRob65a6

I will let you know in a few days. I'm guessing no for two reasons though.

1) I noticed that it cut the power for a bit before it attempted to restart the fan.

2) When I'm away from home I put it to better battery life with the screen 1 mark from being black and I generally get about 6.5 to 7.5 hrs of life.

With that said if it gets better I dont know what I'll say...... probably holy $&!^!!! LOL

18. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

congrats on resolving the problem!

that must be a difference between a 15" and a 17" MBP. When i tell one fan to speed up (via SMCfancontrol) they both go to the speed that i assigned. (although it could be a flaw in the coding of SMC)

i would periodically check your fans just to make sure the problem does not resurface.

19. JRob65a6 thread starter macrumors regular

JRob65a6

I'll be able to using that program you told me about. I really like it. This morning I got to test to see if it still gets as hot. Believe me, it doesn't get anywhere near as hot. It has been so hot in the past that it was to the point that when you first touch it, it feels like it could burn you. Not really hot enough to burn you but almost.

20. JRob65a6 thread starter macrumors regular

JRob65a6

I'm sure you've seen it but in the preferences there is a sync sliders checkbox just below the sliders. If that is unchecked it should allow you to control them separately.
    Just FYI in case you didn't see it.

21. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

My fans never run at the same speex using smc. My left fan always runs faster.

22. JRob65a6 thread starter macrumors regular

JRob65a6

Okay sorry guys it started all over again today. I'm going to go to Apple at 8 tonight. It was the same thing but it's going to be to much of a hassle for me to keep opening it up and pushing it back in. I'll let everyone know tonight how it goes. The fan just seems to be a faulty fan. I'll also see what they say about the hard drive in the unibodies for future reference. I swapped mine to the original because I still have 3 1/2 years on my warranty. So I dont want to mess that up but I will ask if it is okay that I swap them out. I'll get his name and stuff in case they ever give anyone trouble about it.

It sucks but at least it will be an easy fix.........

23. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

24. JRob65a6 thread starter macrumors regular

JRob65a6

Ok this is going to be a long story but I will tell you in case you don't want to read all of this, my MBP is fixed. It was in fact a faulty fan.

Before I begin, If you have a unibody with the 8 hr battery it WILL in fact void your warranty if it is not installed by an approved Apple servicer. The best way to know who is approved is ask Apple in your area.

As for the ones with the hard drive in the battery compartment where you dont have to take screws out your okay.

So yesterday I set an appointment to go to apple at before I made my last post but when I got there I wasn't on the list which was a little frustrating but it was my fault. I made an appointment at another store. So they scheduled me in at 8pm (the only spot available yesterday). I got there and the guy that helped me, I wasn't too sure about. We talked and I explained everything. He said okay you can leave it and it will be done in 6-7 days. I asked if they had anything I could use in the meantime because I have to have a laptop. He said no. I started getting very frustrated. I had to leave my laptop for 6-7 days for something that would literally take 3 min to fix, I cant believe it!!!! Is exactly what I told him. I told him I came into their store and spent well over $4000 on a computer that apparantly had a faulty fan all along. I told him I was better off just letting it run hot and I'd get a new system eventually (Knowing it would really bother me and I could never do this to my laptop. It would be like torturing my child. I just could never do it.) Oh and I found out I haven't had my MBP even 90 days yet. It sure feels like 6 months as much as I've used it. Glad I switched! Anyways, I asked him if there was anything I could do, he told me about this thing that you pay $100 dollars a year and it puts you above all the other people (to get serviced) that don't have it. I told him sign me up. He left for a minute and came back. He told me it was only busy because of the college kids and that it is normally busy this time of the year. He said that he was going to put it in and if all it was is a fan, I would have it back in 24-48 hrs but if there was anything else I wouldn't have my computer for 6-7 days. I said okay and left it there. Not even 5 minutes after I got home I got a call saying it was done. I raced down there to get it before it closed. Got it home and forgot to shut it down completely before I swapped drives back. It was in hibernation or sleep mode, whatever you want to call it. Well I corrupted the info when I woke it up. I saw the desktop picture from the old drive and I powered it off really quick hoping I didn't mess anything up. I restarted it and nothing. I saw a file with a question mark that's it. I was starting to feel sick. I reformatted the hard drive and did a backup from my TM. Gotta love it! Everything was back to normal after almost 10 hrs of restoration. I'm so glad I've got it back. It's like I was missing my mojo last night. All is good. No issues and I got it back in a timely manner thanks to those guys at Apple.

If it would have been anything that wouldn't take more than a couple minutes to fix then I wouldn't mind the wait. But I didn't want to wait 6-7 days for a fan. Just doesn't seem logical to me. Maybe I'm selfish, I don't know.

Thanks guys for all your help.