anyone drink protein shakes after workouts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iOrlando, Dec 4, 2009.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

what results have you seen?

my main interest is does it add fat to your abs? (assuming you dont change your normal cardio routine/diet). Or is the goal...to do more cardio/weights due to the drink...and therefore you are burning more fat.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Ive never worked out without protein supplement so I can't really answer on that side of the debate. Most of the "good" (not necessarily great tasting though) protein doesn't contain many things that would add to your fat content, so I think that would be instantly debunked unless you are taking some really crappy (and they are out there) protein which is basically like hershey's chocolate milk (read the labels).

The point of the supplement is to improve muscle growth, this in turn needs calories. I believe the current recommendation for daily intake is 2 g of protein for each pound you weigh for the best muscle growth, this is pretty overkill though.

3. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

i see. well I have seen definite muscle growth within the past 3-4 months but I dont take any supplements, protein things, etc. I feel though that I am hitting a wall. I really cant increase weights a whole lot more without just giving out. My goal though isnt for a whole lot more muscle..maybe just 10-20% more. I am more interested in triathlons, so obviously overall low body fat and endurance is a bigger concern than just pure muscle, hence my concern with adding on weight due to the shakes.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- it won't add fat to your abs. Just keep in mind that protein does need a certain amount of fat in order to be used and absorbed properly by your body.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You may look into creatine instead. If you do supplement on it drink a LOT of water.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Don't you lose most of your gains once you stop taking it?

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not really, you lose the water that builds up in your muscles though which will make you less "bulgy".

I use both and never had problems, I have to reiterate to drink a lot of water though because dumb people who dehydrate themselves to hit a certain weight can kill themselves.

8. mondesi43 macrumors regular

You don't lose your gains. I'd suggest NO-Xplod by Xyience or BSN. Cycle for 4 weeks on, 2 weeks off.

Protein won't make you fat. Just take the whey protein. It helps your muscles recover and fills you up so you don't get hungry for crap sugars after working out.

But like other people have said: Drink plenty of water. Too much protein without hydration will eff up your kidneys. That's why people gain water weight when cycling supplements.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I used it while I was building. Good stuff. Now that I'm just maintaining, I don't use it anymore.

No- not at all.

10. rk1228 macrumors member

For me, a multi-species protein works better than just whey protein. I use "Ultimate Muscle Protein" made by Beverly International. It mixes easily with water or low fat milk (depending on what you want to achieve) and it actually tastes pretty good. I get the vanilla and if I want to change the flavor, I just add a little Crystal Lite flavor. It will not cover up your abs!

The other supplement that I totally think is worth the money is BCAA's. Branch Chain Amino Acids (Muscularity or Muscle Mass) work fast and are essential in promoting protein synthesis. They also increase the amount of fat you burn during a workout. I take these before and during my workouts. The result is a more intense and efficient workout, plus the pump is phenomenal.

If you're looking for an NO (Nitros Oxide) compound, you might look at Muscle Synergy. It's designed to increase muscle size and strength and suppress muscle breakdown. It also contains creatine and HMB.

When you get to a plateau (or sticking point) in your progress, its usually a good idea to switch things up a bit. You might want to check out BodyBuildingWorld.com for some more information. (Thats the Beverly International website.)

There is also a great forum at BodyBuilding.com where you can join and communicate with a lot of great guys doing exactly the same thing you are! It's also a great way to keep up with your progress to a goal.

Good Luck Man!

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

There are no peer-reviewed studies that I am aware of that demonstrate that protein taken immediately after your workout has any extra benefit over a general increase in protein intake; and many studies indicate that nutrition absorption tends to continue for around 24 hours after a workout. An increased protein intake (especially coingestion with carbohydrates) in supplement form has been demonstrated to increase protein synthesis by up to 48%.

In other words, it's not the timing of the protein that's crucial so much as the amount.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I didn't really consider the fact that he specified after workouts. I usually drink one in the morning and then one after, not for any real reason, im usually thirsty after a workout though so it makes the taste a bit more bearable.

13. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Good point, a ZERO fat diet is just as harmful as a high-fat diet.

I do the powdered shake thing immediately after leaving the gym.

14. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

I think I read somewhere that your body absorbs the protein better if its consumed within ~15 minutes after completing your workout.

15. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

is that true? any sources?

16. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

17. red42 macrumors regular

take it with some simple carbs to release some insulin. This replenishes lost glycogen reserves and shuttles aminos into ur muscle where they are needed. dextrose and/or maltodextrin should do the trick.

Dont bother with protein shakes at any other time its just a waste as you only really need simple proteins post work out. Eat normally. Your body is a prehistoric machine, it isnt made to ingest protein shakes all the time. Au Natural...etc.

18. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you wont gain fat unless the calories and carbs in the shake arent being used. after the gym you have burned a lot of energy and the calories and carbs will be replenished.

after a weights workout where the muscle fibres will have been damaged drinking a protein shake right afterwards will repair these muscle fibres promoting larger muscle growth.

19. red42 macrumors regular

is there a parrot in the house?

20. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Cripple
    Cripple
    Cripple
    Cripple
    Cripple
    Cripple
    Cripple
    Cripple

21. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sorry, only really read the first few posts and then hit reply at the top of the page. but you didnt exactly talk about protein promoting growth of damaged muscle fibres and not using carbs during sleep, as did i. and care not to have replied in such a blunt, succinct manner?