Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marksman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
One of the big things that hit me when the original iPhone was announced was the $499 price point for the low end model.

I thought this was huge, and was so low it was going to make it hard to compete. It seems with the second edition coming it is still the case.

Is anyone else able to offer a comparable experience with comparable specs for a similar price point?

I know you can look at a Xoom where Motorola essentially adds on extra memory for free in order to make it almost comparable to higher end models, but they don't actually have any comparable spec to the entry level $499 model.

Is there anyone coming out with anything comparable at the $499 price point that is the iPad 2?

I think that was the biggest thing that threw developers of other devices off. Everyone expected the iPad to be $999 and that is why we have not seen any competition at all for the last nine months...

Still though, nobody really hitting the entry level market, which is going to make it really hard for anyone else to get a good foothold if they are offering copycat devices simply built on spec sheets that cost more.

I would love to look at comparable devices at the low end, so I just want to know if there is something out there I am not aware of...

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
It's pretty amazing isn't it?

Apple's not hyping their $349 and $399 price points for iPad 1 either, and I'm not sure anything's close at the moment.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
There aren't really any comparable android devices around that point except the galaxy tab. There are a bunch of lower end 350ish tablets but really nothing that compares. It is pretty amazing.

TheyCallMeSaint

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010
It's pretty amazing isn't it?

Apple's not hyping their $349 and $399 price points for iPad 1 either, and I'm not sure anything's close at the moment.

This. The refurbed 1st gen iPad for only $349 is far and away the best value for your money.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
This. The refurbed 1st gen iPad for only $349 is far and away the best value for your money.

Agreed but this also allows you to get even CHEAPER options. Example: I know a few friends selling iPad for $275-300. Amazing deal if you ask me.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Personally, I feel the only reason Apple has a 16GB model is for marketing. Now before anyone gets offended, I understand that 16 is enough for YOU but when Apple's business is built around App purchases then the 16GB fills up VERY fast. Add in video storage, iMovie/Garage band projects and that mysterious yellow "Other" category that fills the iPad and you'll find yourself swapping files constantly just to get a successful sync.

16GB is workable, especially now that you can natively stream iTunes content, but I'd bet that Apple would ideally want people to consider the $599/699 versions. I got the 16GB at launch (12.8GB usable) and a few days later exchanged for the 32GB. This time around I'm going 64.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Personally, I feel the only reason Apple has a 16GB model is for marketing. Now before anyone gets offended, I understand that 16 is enough for YOU but when Apple's business is built around App purchases then the 16GB fills up VERY fast. Add in video storage, iMovie/Garage band projects and that mysterious yellow "Other" category that fills the iPad and you'll find yourself swapping files constantly just to get a successful sync.

16GB is workable, especially now that you can natively stream iTunes content, but I'd bet that Apple would ideally want people to consider the $599/699 versions. I got the 16GB at launch (12.8GB usable) and a few days later exchanged for the 32GB. This time around I'm going 64.

I don't know what you're storing on your iPad but I had a 16gb first gen and I never filled it up even half way. Most apps are tiny(5-50mb) and the largest game I had was Myst at 1gig(god I loved that game on my old school Packard Bell). I don't store my music or videos on the actual iPad so I don't see a need for more storage.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I don't know what you're storing on your iPad but I had a 16gb first gen and I never filled it up even half way. Most apps are tiny(5-50mb) and the largest game I had was Myst at 1gig(god I loved that game on my old school Packard Bell). I don't store my music or videos on the actual iPad so I don't see a need for more storage.

I agree.

I may get the 64 this time just because I'm an idiot. However, my first was a 32. I bought my mother a 16, and she has about 1.5 GB of stuff on it.

Honestly, Apps don't take up THAT much. My music takes up much more.

TheyCallMeSaint

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010
I agree.

I may get the 64 this time just because I'm an idiot. However, my first was a 32. I bought my mother a 16, and she has about 1.5 GB of stuff on it.

Honestly, Apps don't take up THAT much. My music takes up much more.

Granted, but if someone actually used their iPad for work *cough* I suppose iMovie and Garageband projects could fill it up decently. Not to mention if you actually store movies on the iPad instead of using something like Netflix.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I'd use the word demographics.
The 16GB appeals to people who want a light, relatively cheap, consumption device that is great for books and watching a few movies on that long-ass flight to Seoul.
However the higher end models are for people such as yourself, who edit video/music.
If I had actually bought my ipad, I'd have stuck with the one I have or its 3G sister. Before I won my ipad, I took my MBP on plane rides. Granted it was great for watching movies, but the battery wouldn't have lasted on a longer flight--not without access to a power port. When I went to europe, I ditched the MBP, because I couldn't justify lugging it around for three weeks; the ipad would've been perfect then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.