Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
Since the pandemic hit, home workouts have been a thing but now since things are getting back to normal here, I’ve been deciding on if I want to go back to the gym or not. Then I realized I have a good thing going with home workouts, and I can workout more at home vs the gym. The gyms here suck and open at like 8 am on the weekends and I prefer to workout early and be done with it.

Long story short, I’ve started to like working out at home vs going to the gym - although it is nice to get out of the house a bit. Anyone else feel the same way?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I can’t stand gyms. I tried it for a year. Mostly I hated interruptions to my routine because equipment was being used. Didn’t care for the music either. I much prefer home workouts. Although I’m not a morning person for workouts. I prefer the late afternoon.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I was a member of the community rec center for about a year and a half before Covid hit. I enjoyed running indoors on their track when the temperature outside was too warm. We haven't yet gone back as some of the services we used still aren't available, and so I've been "forced" to run outside all the time. I ran through the coldest weather I'd ever run (single digit Fahrenheit temps) and am now running through typical summer weather (90+°F) or getting up super early to avoid it. I found I actually enjoyed the very, very cold weather, but definitely don't enjoy my runs as much now.

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
I have worked out at home most of my adult life. I don’t want to waste time going to and from the gym. In addition, I’m too cheap to pay monthly membership fees. I can buy high quality equipment that lasts a long time for less overall. In early adulthood I did Canadian Air Force exercises that didn’t require any equipment at all.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I prefer going to the gym and being with like-minded people. Of course, not every gym is the same and lots depends on location and time of the day. I truly like having so many different options and virtually no distractions. At home I am way more distracted. The kitchen is way too close for a snack. The mail might interrupt me. Some "errand" might pop up in my brain. In other words, I am not disciplined enough to workout effectively at home.
However, a mandatory tool for the gym is a decent set of earbuds.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well, if you live in a flat like I do the answer is a no-brainer. If I had a nice house and yard maybe it would be different. Gyms have now dropped the mask requirement for workouts so another plus for gym workouts.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Homework outs? They just don’t work for me. I tried in the years past with having equipment at home and then of course during the pandemic, it forced me to work out at home, but you can’t even compare it to working out in the gym.

So not also do I work out at a gym, I train at 1 in the morning when I have the entire gym to myself. And it’s not that you can’t accomplish things working at home, but it’s not the same thing at all when you can move from machine to machine at a gym or transition over to a dumbbell rack where you have a selection of 50 different types of weights. See my point? That’s just something that a home gym cannot offer, especially for those who really are serious into certain types of training (I.E-Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, ect.)

More than anything for me personally, the difference between working out at home and working out at the gym, is the gym is my office, I go there, I flip a switch and I get dead serious to give it a 110% for that 1.5 hours, which I simply just cannot achieve as the mindset working out at home with way too many distractions.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Homework outs? They just don’t work for me. I tried in the years past with having equipment at home and then of course during the pandemic, it forced me to work out at home, but you can’t even compare it to working out in the gym.

So not also do I work out at a gym, I train at 1 in the morning when I have the entire gym to myself. And it’s not that you can’t accomplish things working at home, but it’s not the same thing at all when you can move from machine to machine at a gym or transition over to a dumbbell rack where you have a selection of 50 different types of weights. See my point? That’s just something that a home gym cannot offer, especially for those who really are serious into certain types of training (I.E-Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, ect.)

More than anything for me personally, the difference between working out at home and working out at the gym, is the gym is my office, I go there, I flip a switch and I get dead serious to give it a 110% for that 1.5 hours, which I simply just cannot achieve as the mindset working out at home with way too many distractions.
Agreed, 100%. It's just not the same. I like different environments for different things. Kitchen to eat, Gym to workout, office to work, bedroom to... sleep.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
Wow it’s so fascinating how different the opinions are. I think for me, if the gyms here are open 24/7, I’d enjoy going more but because they open so late on the weekends it puts a crimp in my day.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Agreed, 100%. It's just not the same. I like different environments for different things. Kitchen to eat, Gym to workout, office to work, bedroom to... sleep.
Yeah, it’s kind of psychological. The other thing I don’t like about working out at home, is we have new carpet, and the constant exercising would matt down the carpet even more (Especially when wearing indoor gym shoes), plus a combination of fogging up the windows, ect., none of that really appeals to me in the house that we keep very clean, when I’d rather keep that in the gym environment.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
No home for me. My wife and I can not challenge each other without going to the gym. Plus the fact the gym is literally across the street from us. Love going to the gym. We go minimum of 5 times a week. Then we add in hiking and walks in the evening.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I bought a spin bike at the beginning of the pandemic for use when the weather is bad. I also have a barbell, dumbbells and a lot of weight plates and a bench. I've been going back to the gym 5-6 days a week but I still use my stuff at home. Usually Yoga and/or strength at home. I also run outside or at the gym and play tennis once or twice a week. Having lots of options means no excuses.

One factor in going to the gym is that they have fantastic shower facilities. I do wish that they were open more hours on the weekends but I manage to squeeze it in or workout at home.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I haven’t been to a gym in years. Recently I stayed at a hotel and used the gym there for a few days, but went early. Not really a people person.
I have a rowing machine (free as it was unwanted by last owner) and a cross trainer set up in the garage.
Want to get some weights next. Any recommendations? I don’t want to spend a fortune.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I haven’t been to a gym in years. Recently I stayed at a hotel and used the gym there for a few days, but went early. Not really a people person.
I have a rowing machine (free as it was unwanted by last owner) and a cross trainer set up in the garage.
Want to get some weights next. Any recommendations? I don’t want to spend a fortune.
Craigslist or similar over the next few months. As people give up on their New Year’s resolutions.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Lol. That’s where I got the rowing machine from.
It does occur to me though. If you are working out at home alone. You can get into a lot of trouble with some free weight exercises without a spotter. You may want something similar to a Nordic Flex. At least for stuff like the bench press. You can still use free weights for stuff like curls and leg work.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
It does occur to me though. If you are working out at home alone. You can get into a lot of trouble with some free weight exercises without a spotter. You may want something similar to a Nordic Flex. At least for stuff like the bench press. You can still use free weights for stuff like curls and leg work.

I usually do weights at home with relatively low loads. I sometimes have someone to spot me (he's a lot stronger) but he isn't always available. If I want to do heavier loads, I go to the gym. It also means fewer weight plates as the heaviest I have are 25 pounds.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’d not be bench pressing or anything. Just curls and leg stuff if I get a bench.
Mrs AFB couldn’t spot for me. She is very slight and not strong enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.