anyone else battery sit at 1% for first drain?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sgrrsh26, Oct 16, 2011.

1. sgrrsh26 macrumors 6502

Ive been multitasking pandora and browsing web for about 20 minutes at 1% charge.

half hour- this thing just wont die...

2. macronerd macrumors newbie

Mine did the same thing during first and second power drain. Stayed at 1% for about 30 minutes.

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Yeah, that's how it works. You're calibrating how far it can actually go before it shuts off.

4. utl768 macrumors 6502

5. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

6. sedril macrumors member

That's somewhat normal, the battery meter just isn't calibrated yet... After a couple cycles it'll settle....

7. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Literally just finished my first drain down cycle about an hour ago. Yes, had the same 1% hang, so I fired up the LED flashlight app. When I got bored with that I just played Cut the Rope until it died. lol Took quite awhile. I probably won't get a chance to do a full cycle again until next weekend because my weekday use has my phone acting as the central computer in my car (it's my GPS, my radio, phone, etc.) so it'll be plugged into my charging cradle on & off all week. Usually just a couple of full cycles and I'll be happy with it.

8. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Battery meters work by measuring the amount of energy (in watt-hours) that flows to and from the battery.

The cutoff, on the other hand, does not happen when the meter hits 0%. It happens when the voltage of the battery hits a specific low point. Once that point is hit, the phone will shutdown and reset the charge meter to 0%.

When you charge it, the charge meter will now measure the energy going into the battery. It will count how many watt-hours flow into the battery. The charging won't stop until the battery voltage hits an upper point. At this point the charge meter will record the amount of watt-hours that have flowed into the battery as the new 100%.

Now the meter is calibrated, and your phone will shut off right around the time it hits 0%. Eventually as the battery wears out, it will start cutting off at 1%, or 2%. Each time this happens the meter learns the new capacity of the battery and becomes accurate again.

Aren't batteries fun? :)

9. Eradik macrumors regular

Yup! Me too.

I was killing mine yesterday, was laying in bed tired as all hell, and it was stuck on 1% forever. I was doing maps, gps, games, videos, everything and it seemed to take forever.

But, as others explained, it is being calibrated. It only happens once (or maybe twice) until the battery starts getting old

10. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Yup, happened twice to me. Streamed Pandora for almost 45 minutes before it died after it had reached 1% yesterday and then today, I was able to stream Netflix over 3G for a good 25-30 minutes at 1% before it turned off. I wonder if that explains the rapid initial battery drain...it's just psychological that it seems to initially drain faster but overall longevity is the same.

11. dusters711 macrumors regular

Yup! Same thing last night... Getting much better battery today as well. I always drain them a few times when I first get them and never have had any issues with battery life.

12. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Mine lasted 20 minutes on 1%