Anyone else been disappointed by MBP delivery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nayf72, Jun 17, 2008.

1. nayf72 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I've just received a top spec BTO MBP (which was ordered online) and it arrived like it had been kicked all the way from Shanghai!

I've phoned Apple and they've promised a replacement if need be, but couldn't promise it would arrive any different the next time (as she couldn't advise on better packaging or handling).

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this? Both bottom corners are smashed breaking the poly packaging cups in the process - pretty poor when I've just spent the best part of £2k on my dream machine :-(((

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Aint gonna matter how much it costs if the courier cant be arsed to treat it with respect blame them not Apple

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know it's extremely frustrating to wait, but I'd have them replace it as many times as necessary to get it delivered in perfect condition. You only have to wait a matter of days or weeks, but you'll enjoy your new MBP for years! As soon as you have it up and running, the pain of waiting will disappear!

4. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

or go to an apple store, and tell them and show them

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unless it was shipped from the Apple store, they can't and won't do anything about it. It's between Apple, the shipper and the OP.

6. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Nope, the woman who brought my MBP out from the stock room carried it very well, and never dropped or even tilted it once!

Moral of the Story:

Buy from the shop, its easier. And they probably would have stocked or been able to stock your BTO anyway.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Is the computer inside OK?

8. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I'd definitely check the computer, and if it was perfect I'd just make a note, let them know, and then forget about it. If you start asking for them to keep sending computers to you until the external box is perfect, you may have passed over a perfect computer to only wind up with one with dead pixels, or some other problem. It's about the machine first. But, I certainly can see the disappointment of receiving a box shipped with such poor service. I'd definitely bitch at the shipping company.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The stores don't carry the BTO MBPs. You have to order them from Apple, unless a store is running some kind of promotion on a particular configuration.

10. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

The box was damaged, but how was the MBP?

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

This is one of the reasons, I always go for instant gratification (purchase at the Apple Retail Store).

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's the way I wanted to go, but they don't carry the BTO models, so I had to order it direct. At least the wait is over! :D

13. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The apple store I went to stocked a few versions of the MBP, 2.4Ghz with 250Gb Hdd, 17" 2.6Ghz with HR Display etc.

14. jcroeth macrumors newbie

I second the opinion to not get too overly worried about the condition of the package, unless the there is any damage to the machine itself. It may not look pretty, but if the packaging is crushed (but the machine is not visibly damaged) then the packaging did its job. That's what it's for.

I used to work for a major delivery company and damage is just a fact of life. Contrary to popular belief (especially angry recipients), it's usually not the delivery drivers that cause the damage. In all my experience, damaged packages (or rather, packages with crushed boxes) got that damage from being in the 18-wheeler trailer when the load shifts or settles and other packages fall onto it while it's going down the road.

But anyway, I would make a note with Apple support about it if you want to be "extra safe"... But in reality, Apple probably is just going to follow standard warranty protocol whether you have a notice on file with them or not about the damaged package. So I suggest just making sure the computer works fine for a couple days, then forget all about your damage worries and put your mind at ease ;)