Anyone else buy on eBay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stackshady, Jun 29, 2010.

1. stackshady macrumors member

After receiving it, I took it to AT&T. The rep swapped sim cards and the iTunes activation still showed the seller's number. Then called Apple and have a case that is escalated. I'm waiting for a call back from them so they can delete the old number. It's been 4 days. :(

Anyone else have this problem? The Apple guy and AT&T rep said this never happened before. I feel like maybe the lady mixed up the sim cards or something. Doesn't make sense as to why I'd be the only one with this issue.

2. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Why buy from eBay?

3. DesertWolf macrumors newbie

I assume it's never been activated? This is a similar problem I had doing the upgrade swap. You may have to just go ahead and activate it before swapping out sims. Which would leave the seller disconnected.

4. x0lliex macrumors member

I had this problem last year doing an upgrade swap for the 3GS. Apple send out the phones so that they can only be activated on the number they were ordered with, swapping the sim cards will do nothing. You need to return it to the seller and have them activate it first, then you can put your sim card in it and activate it. (I say return to seller as the seller would need to give you their SSN and they would lose service) Next time, don't use ebay, there are too many fools out there ordering iPhones and immediately dumping them on ebay for a quick buck not realizing that the phone is locked to them before it is activated the first time.

5. 360glitch macrumors newbie

I ended up with an extra iPhone 4 after the ordering fiasco and they were both assigned my number. I used the first phone, and then my dad used the second. All we did to get his switched to his number was call AT&T and give them some info from the phone and the sim card. We used the same sim card that came in it and everything. Hope the info helps.

6. turbineseaplane macrumors 68030

turbineseaplane

I've never had any such problem.

Erase all, set up as new phone in iTunes and it activates fine with my SIM and my cell number.

Something doesn't sound right.

7. stackshady thread starter macrumors member

Bought on eBay because I wanted a no contract phone and would have had to go stand in line on launch day to get one. Now it's looking like it didn't matter because this is taking so long to activate.

It's never been activated so I guess that explains it though I'm not sure why they do this. Sigh, I guess I'll just keep waiting for this phone call and see if they can do anything.

8. stackshady thread starter macrumors member

I assume that you entered your social security number first though? It says that once you do that it can be transfered to any number, but I can't do that obviously.

9. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

It happened to Jim Rome. I don't know if he got it resolved i'm sure he did though. He did say any calls he made would be charged to the seller since its under her name, it sounded like it just needed a new sim card.

10. dojoman macrumors 65816

You can't do that with brand NEW sealed phone. It can only be activated with number assigned. Once activated with assigned number, you can erase all and reactivated with whatever number.