Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andy89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
I bought 2 D-link DWL-122's and I couldn't be more pissed off with them.
I thought they were a good deal, now I know why they were so cheap!

Anyone here bought any, and what kind of experiences have you had with them?

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2005
One of my friends has this same router and is very upset with it, I tried it out and it is a piece of crap. The reception is so bad.And boy is it ugly, I'll take airport over that anyday.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Yeah... ended up just buying an airport card after getting a DWL-122. It seemed to crash my computer after about 10 minutes of use and during those ten minutes seemed to frequently hang the system.

andy89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
Sedulous said:
Yeah... ended up just buying an airport card after getting a DWL-122. It seemed to crash my computer after about 10 minutes of use and during those ten minutes seemed to frequently hang the system.

I get, aswell as not connecting to anything :mad: :rolleyes:

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
andy89 said:
I get, aswell as not connecting to anything :mad: :rolleyes:

It won't connect automatically after a restart. This is probably different from what you are accustomed to with Airport (where, depending on settings, only have to choose once). Inside the D-link software preferences I believe you must choose a connection each and every time.

Linksgolfer84

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2003
Wisconsin
Does anyone have any good advice about where to buy the original airport card? I have a TiBook 667 Mhz, and my buffal tech wirless card crapped out on me recently. So now I'm trying to track down the original airport card (not extreme).

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Linksgolfer84 said:
Does anyone have any good advice about where to buy the original airport card? I have a TiBook 667 Mhz, and my buffal tech wirless card crapped out on me recently. So now I'm trying to track down the original airport card (not extreme).

LAcomputercompany.com had them last I checked. And smalldog.com does sometime.

USB adapters are a waste of time. There's practically no driver support and the next OS update will probably break them.

Much better options are ethernet based adaptors, whcih are OS independent and driver free. I use a linksys and it works great. Belking and dlink also make them, and macsense.com has one that connects through ethernet but gets its power through USB, which I thought was neat.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
The DWL 122s are hooorrrriiibbblllleeee!

I got one before I found my original airport card.. the increase in actual connecting was just CRAZY! Airport worked for more than 2 minutes! WOW!

Then, I put it in the windows machine, and it STILL didn't work.. ugh!

in short dwl122= boo
airport = yay

alangyssler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2005
Buffalo Grove, IL
Wireless that works

I've been looking round for the ability to add wireless connectivity to my QuickSilver 733 G4 (2001 model), and have struck on success! I purchased a Belkin F5D7000, version 3 (says 3000 on box) for about $30 from Fry's Electronics (outpost.com). I had to go to ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm and download the driver for 10.4+. I installed it, restarted, and opened up my System preferences and Internet Connect. IC showed that there wasn't an Airport Connection available ("No Airport Hardware Found"). So I went into System Prefs, into "Network," and selected "Network Configurations," and chose PCI Ethernet Slot 2 (as it was installed in the PCI Slot 2 on the back of my comp), and all was well! Sweet!

Let me know if anyone else trys this, has success, or problems. Just figured I'd let everyone know that it's possible. I've seen tons of negative reviews on the D-Link stuff, and figured I'd give Belkin a go.

There's four screen shots to show some of the screens I had to go through / what they looked like when I was done.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/143000/

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I was looking into the DWL-122 as a possible wireless solution for my G3 iBook, and read a lot of complaints about it. One thing to mention though – apparently the driver software supplied with it causes no end of problems (as other posters are clearly experiencing), but there is an updated driver available for download from the D-Link website that is supposed to solve some of these issues. I for one would be interested to know if this new driver solves any of the problems, and I don't know if any of you guys have tried this or not – just a thought! ;)

Linksgolfer84 – there are quite a few original AirPort cards doing the rounds on eBay. They can get a little pricey though.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
alangyssler said:
I've been looking round for the ability to add wireless connectivity to my QuickSilver 733 G4 (2001 model), and have struck on success! I purchased a Belkin F5D7000...

Glad to hear that that worked. I believe you can put an Airport Card in your Quicksilver if you want.

Three years ago Circuit City was closing out its stock of original (80211b) Airport cards, and my dad picked up two for them, thinking he could put them in our iMacs. Unfortunately, my iMac was a rev.C and it doesn't have the card adapter (though it does have a connector for one). His Rev. D did have the adapter, and it works great.

Anyway, long story short, the other Airport Card now lives in my Digital Audio G4 tower, and the price for the card hasn't dropped in 3 years - in fact a lot of resellers are still asking over $50 for them! :eek:

But they are the best choice, due to their lack of compatibility issues. Even if we didn't have one laying around I would probably have bought one.

USB adapters are a pain in the arse, I would avoid them (bad experiences :( )

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I purchased my card through Amazon.com

Linksgolfer84 said:

andy89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
Lord Blackadder said:
Anyway, long story short, the other Airport Card now lives in my Digital Audio G4 tower, and the price for the card hasn't dropped in 3 years - in fact a lot of resellers are still asking over $50 for them! :eek:

Your lucky, They cost £90 here in the uk, in the mac shop in town :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.