Anyone else buying a WiFi model temporarily until the 3G is out?

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
1,679
0
That's it...I've made up my mind...I WILL be buying a WiFi model Saturday, even though I have a 3G on order, and then either returning the WiFi (and paying the restocking fee) or selling it on eBay for hopefully no loss. There is no way I can wait until the 3G is out, it would drive me crazy!
 

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
9,311
211
Atlanta, GA
...or selling it on eBay for hopefully no loss.
How could there be no loss. Why would someone buy a wifi version when they can get a brand spanking new one for the same price without paying shipping and insurance?

By all means go for it, but you're going to take a hit.
 

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
1,679
0
It's eBay...and people are crazy. :D

No but really, I'm thinking international buyers, especially out of Europe where their Euro will go much further when buying in Dollars.

$540 (cost of 16GB iPad w/ tax) is 398 Euros. A new one may very likely cost more than that over there.
 

obey908

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
638
3
San Francisco
It was my plan, until I found out bestbuy is doing a restocking fee. Now I am buying the wifi, and I will see how I feel when the 3g comes out
 

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
1,370
3
Room 101
I'm just going to wait. Not having an iPad is something I've had to endure for several years... another month isn't going to kill me.

But, I'll probably visit my local Apple Store about 13 times to play with the thing before the 3g release. :)
 

GregGebhardt

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
313
0
That's it...I've made up my mind...I WILL be buying a WiFi model Saturday, even though I have a 3G on order, and then either returning the WiFi (and paying the restocking fee) or selling it on eBay for hopefully no loss. There is no way I can wait until the 3G is out, it would drive me crazy!
I ordered both at the same time. I will use the WIFi version till the 3G comes and then give the WiFi unit to my VP.

NO WAY could I live without the 3G unit as I will use this out of the office alot.
 

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
598
1
I'm going to give the WiFi version to my wife when the 3G comes out. She couldn't care less about 3G and it gives me an awesome way to get one now.
 

jeigh

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2010
11
0
ELP
Seriously thinking about doing this. I justify it to myself by looking at any hit I take on eBay/restocking fees as a one-month "rental" fee.
 

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
1,679
0
Seriously thinking about doing this. I justify it to myself by looking at any hit I take on eBay/restocking fees as a one-month "rental" fee.
Haha..same here. Even the restocking fee, $49, isn't that huge when you consider what you are getting here...3-4 weeks of entertainment, how much would that cost if you were going out somewhere? :D
 

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
570
87
Yes. I can sell my 32GB WiFi iPad for around $700 or more in Argentina. (Even used.)
 

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
:eek: Yes. I don't know where my Wi-Fi will go. Maybe to a friend for $$ or my parents for free. But I might wait until May or June. See how I get by with the Wi-Fi only for a while. Maybe I can hold out and buy a RevB 3G in a year? (Unlikely as that is...)
 

alia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2003
870
103
Orlando, FL
I am not currently in the financial position to justify a "rental fee," and I really want the 3G because I use my iphone a lot in the car (when I'm not driving), and I think the iPad would get a lot of use this way too. Especially on road trips. So, I'll just have to suck it up and wait. :) Like another poster, I will probably be stalking the display models at the Apple store until the 3G ships.
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,527
1,422
Not getting the iPad in either version yet. Gotta hold it and use it before I decide. That said it took me 30 seconds to decide I wanted an iPhone when they first came out. However, as far as WiFi only vs. 3G, I thought this really was a tough one, but then I realized, 3G everything on AT&T is actually painful, better than EDGE, but still painful. Not worth my extra $130, or the $15-30 monthly cost. I would have said get the 3G and only sign up on months when you absolutely need it, but nah, get the WiFi, and if you need web access when you don't have it on the WiFi, use your iPhone. If people can JB their phones and tether the iPad successfully without any problems, expect JBing on iPhone to rise.

OR

If it really is that simple to cut down your 3G Sim to a mini, put it in an adapter tray when it is in your phone, but then power down and slap it in your iPad for a little while, as long as AT&T doesn't know/notice, then you will see a lot of that and that might be the reason to get the 3G version. People aren't paying $45-60 a month for data.
 

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
1,147
19
No, I've lived without it my whole life, I can make it another few weeks.
 

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
1,679
0
This won't be possible. There's a 14 day return window. The 3G models will get here well after that.
How do you know it's "well after that"?

Rumors have it that it will be April 24th, which is 21 days after the WiFi. Even if it's April 30th, that's still only 28 days...so you would be without the iPad for 14 days if you return it back. I have a feeling you can just eBay it and lose the same ($50 restocking) or possibly less.