Anyone else buying AW Marked up on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by foxkoneko, Apr 12, 2015.

1. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

I was one of the foolish ones that considered waiting until trying it in the store before preorder :confused:
    I figure I'll just pay the extra ~200 to pick up AW on first release from an Ebay seller :rolleyes:
    Sucks to pay more but it's worth it for me to have it at least months earlier (not june :rolleyes: ) (AW SS)
    Anyone doing the same :p

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Time is money as they say, if you don't want to wait and must have the technology then you'll have to pay a scalper a premium price.

The thing is, after a couple of months, the difference will be that if you waited, you'll have more cash on hand.

Personally, I'd rather wait and keep my money in the bank, but that's just me.

3. foxkoneko thread starter macrumors 6502

I was really interested in it for the health aspects and maybe playing around with it and developing on it with Swift since Im a dev so for me, I can't justify not spending difference :D

4. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

I agree with this. Not paying scalper prices...though I have one in the 4/24 - 5/8 range so it's a moot point.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm sure you can come up with all sorts of reasons to buy it from eBay and its your money but in the end, its not really needed, its really a luxury item that apple charges a lot for, why add on even more to the price by going the scalper route?

Like I siad, its your money, your decision and only you can make the final decision. Its just not for me :)

6. shenfrey macrumors 68000

This makes me happy I pre ordered quickly and got the launch day window, I would be one of those who would of paid the extra 200 because I'm a fool who wants things quickly lol

7. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I would rather wait an extra month than pay extra to some scalper scum

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Quite the opposite:

Since I slept through the early purchase window, now I'm going to sit back for a few months and wait to buy used ones off eBay that are marked down :)

Historically, over half of wearable users have stopped wearing them by the six month mark. They stop charging them, lose interest, get something else, etc.

So my guess is that, after a while, when demand has caught up to supply, we'll be seeing a fair number of used and refurbished units for sale. Heck, over half the iPads and iPhones I've bought were used or refurbs. Saved a ton, so I could buy more of them.

I'm patient. I had four brothers and I always waited until they were tired of their toys. Then they became mine, all mine. Mwuuu hahaha!

9. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I agree (about waiting).

Scalpers exist and will continue to proliferate as long as there are people willing to be scalped :eek:

10. KPOM macrumors G5

The only one making much money from these eBay sales is eBay. I'm seeing the Sport go for about $500. After eBay and PayPal fees of about $80, that's not much margin over the post-tax price of about $370-$380 in most places.

----------

You can still get the stainless steel 38mm in the 4-6 week window. So for $50 more, and about 2 weeks later, you'll get a nicer watch that will be worth more when you go to sell it when the next one comes out.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I wouldn't bet on that. "Historically" none of the wearables on the market were made by Apple so they've had crappy resale values just like all the Androids out there, mostly from product fragmentation and poor software support by the 6 month mark.

12. Sludgepond macrumors regular

Sludgepond

The most any seller is making right now is about $150. If a aluminum 42mm sport watch sells for say $650, by the time you're done with shipping and fees that's roughly $566. Retail with taxes is about $435 = $131 profit. Not worth it IMO but hey it's a quick buck if you don't care to worry about a buyer scamming you in return.

13. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

If I didn't get my order in for the 24rh I would buy one forsure off eBay
    Am impatient lol

14. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

What model are you interested in?

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Nobody was able to get the April 24th delivery for their link bracelets so probably next to impossible to get a link bracelet off ebay on the 24th ;)

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed and exactly the reasons almost everything is priced as it is.

Apple themselves would have to lower their profit margins on hardware, esp accessories if people wised up and stopped paying the inflated prices.
    People won't stop buying, so others will still use this to charge more for things.

You charge what the market can stand. No point in charging less, unless you genuinely care about the population and wish to help others.

Like Apple releasing a health product at a price point the mass population could afford as a genuine means to help people and not simply to make money.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I dont' see how low resale value has anything to do with stopping using a wearable.

Heck, high resale value would make it even easier to quit, since at least they'd get something back :)

Now, if you want to argue that people are more likely to stick with something that they spent a lot on, then I'm with ya. Especially those who spent almost $1,000 on stainless steel and options. They have impetus to stick with such a purchase.

Me, I'm counting on those who spent the least, and bought just because others did or because it was Apple... but who keep their phone in their hand anyway. Plus those who thought it would make an accurate heart monitor. They're the ones who'll be selling their unused watches.

18. Wildgift macrumors 6502

19. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Well we really need more people exercising, rather than people who already exercise tracking it better.

20. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

I'm considering it, have been browsing eBay today, LOL.

21. KPOM macrumors G5

I think the other thing to consider is that shipping times have stabilized. The 38mm models were at 4-6 weeks delivery Friday evening, and on Sunday evening most still are (except the Modern Buckle). That seems to me that the majority of the pre-orders occurred on Friday and the delays are mostly supply driven. Now that Apple knows the demand, it can ramp up production accordingly. I wouldn't be surprised if by June it's possible to purchase one of these in store.

On a side note, this, plus the likelihood that Apple won't release any sale/pre-order figures will likely cause analysts to call the watch a "flop" on Monday.

22. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

I'd sell my 4/24 SS w/white sport band on eBay if I could get $3 for every day I need to wait for a replacement. I can't, so I decided against it.

I've scalped lots of things from game consoles to phones. There are a few rules I follow. 1) I have to be plan to own the thing myself, so I'm selling not the thing but my diligence in getting it fast AND my patience waiting for a replacement. 2) I have to make absolutely sure people know what they are buying. 3) I'll do everything in my power to get the thing to the buyer as quickly as possible (usually I reroute shipping, but I specify USPS Priority mail and get it out the door within minutes of payment clearing).

I've made a lot of kids really happy on Christmas, and I've helped fanboys (not a dirty word on my book) with extra money on their hands get the thing they want. Oh, and I get some money (not enough to cover the risk of not selling or having the auction end low, but it's a fun hobby).

23. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I got my order in for the 24th. I wouldn't be able to pay a scalper cause I would think the extra money would put me closer to a better watch from Apple and id rather do that then pay a scalper

24. diegonzo macrumors newbie

It is YOUR money... If you can buy it and want it, so it! I'm getting one on eBay too :)

I ordered one but got June shipping dates... I might keep that one for a gift but for sure I'll be buying one with early shipping dates. It's our money and we decide how to spend it.