Anyone else considering getting the watch but NOT getting notifications ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by audirs5, May 28, 2015.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

One reason Ive been putting the watch off is because of the constant attachment i have to my phone. While I do think there are times where being able to answer to things ASAP is important, more often than not I have my phone really close by. Ive been wanting to get the watch for fitness (which honestly i have not been impressed with. I think doing something like Crossfit throws the watch off.) and to just have a neat time piece.. But being constantly connected with the outside world, I think might drive me a bit mad.

Right now the watch is super limited on what it can do, but I think once its allowed to be fully utilized, thats when it'll be a full winner for me.

2. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Honestly, for me, the notifications on the watch are one of the things I like most about it... and getting notifications on the watch help me to be less attached to my phone. I get a *lot* of emails for work. A good 90% of them don't require my immediate attention, or often don't even require a response from me at all, but some of them are urgent and require me to respond immediately. By getting the notifications on my wrist I can quickly see if it's something that I need to pull out my phone respond to immediately or if I can just ignore it. Before the apple watch (and my pebble before that) I was constantly checking my phone whenever it would vibrate to make sure that the message wasn't critical.

Of course, this isn't for everyone and I can understand why some folks wouldn't want notifications on their wrist. I haven't really used many of the fitness features of the watch, but I've got a few apps that I find useful. For me I'm not sure that the apple watch would be worth the money just for the apps as they exist now, but I think you're right that apps should improve considerably once the API's are opened up a bit more.

3. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

I find notifications far less invasive on the Watch and have actually enabled a number of them that I had disabled on the iPhone.

I understand where you're coming from but would bet you'll end up using notifications too, if you give them a chance.

4. sishaw macrumors 65816

sishaw

I prefer to have the notifications--to me, it's probably the most useful thing right now (of course, more useful apps are likely to come out in the future). Having said that, it's only certain apps I want and get notifications from (on both the iPhone and the watch). Without notifications, I'd probably stick to a nice regular watch. Which is now sitting on my windowsill ;-).

Also, the tap is gentle, which I like. I previously used a Jawbone Up, and you can set alarms on it, but when it vibrates it hurts, at least it does me. It was so annoying that I turned all that off long before the watch came out.

5. susan12369 macrumors 6502

Give them a chance. I have the sound off on my watch so I get the haptic notifications and they are very subtle, easy to be ignored when I want to ignore them, easy to be glanced at when I want to see what's going on. You can specify which apps give you notifications on the watch (I don't do any email on my watch, for instance). I find that my phone sits on the desk or in my purse for much of my day now, whereas before I was constantly grabbing it for something.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

A little off topic but I can hardly feel my haptic vibes and the "dings are only noticed in a quiet environment. Notifications, for this reason, do NOT work for me either. I need Apple to allow me to have the watch vibe longer or harder and a new sound will be even better.

Either that, hope apple lets me turn on the phone notifications while using the AW! That is what I would really like!

7. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I think you have to be cautious about judging the features of an Apple watch purely on the basis of other peoples' comments, and not having one yourself.

For example, based on some user comments, the fitness functions of the watch are very inaccurate and unreliable, and you might conclude therefore that they are useless when in fact they are anything but. For sure, steps, calorie burn and exercise reporting may be way off in themselves, but in allowing you to see how you are progressing day by day against your own fitness goals, these features can be highly motivating in getting people active and keeping them active.

If you are already motivated in fitness terms, have no desire to get notifications on your wrist instead of your phone, and have examined the other features of the watch and decided there are none, and no apps, that entice you to buy, then the watch is not a product for you - at least not yet. However, if you are engaged in fitness programs and would like a way to monitor your ongoing progress, the Apple watch is the best general purpose fitness device I've seen so far, and for many, the Activity app with the stats it provides has become a compelling feature, despite the shortcomings.

My advice, for what it's worth, is don't buy one because others say it's a great device you won't want to live without once you have it, but likewise, don't not buy because of what others say.

8. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

Personally I think the fitness activities are still fairly primitive compared to the likes of garmin. The fenix 3 for example is far more capable, for the same sort of money as the sport. My Vivoactive easily measures runs, walks, cycling, swimming and has some of the Approach series for keeping golf scores and distance as you play.