Anyone else disappointed with the iPhone 6s/6s+ displays?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redheeler, Sep 9, 2015.

?

Are you disappointed that the display quality has remained the same?

1. Yes, I wanted a resolution increase.

10 vote(s)
    11.2%
  2. Yes, I wanted OLED or mLED.

17 vote(s)
    19.1%
  3. Yes, other or both.

8 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. No, but I did expect a change.

7 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. No, I expected it to stay the same.

47 vote(s)
    52.8%
  1. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I had expected some kind of display improvement on the 6s/6s+, but hearing no mention of OLED or a resolution bump in the keynote and seeing unchanged specs on Apple's website, I feel a bit disappointed. Does anyone else feel the same?

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

I'm slightly disappointed, but I expected them to stay the same. They have to save things such as 1080p, OLED, OIS, and larger apertures for the iPhone 7 :(

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Considering this is a "S" model I wasn't expecting much. In fact the additional of force touch was a surprise to me (even though it had already been reported). The mid-models are never that exciting. I expect the iPhone 7 to have major upgrades.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The lack of an OLED or improved display has me a bit less enthusiastic about it.

5. Lithiumdiver macrumors member

Lithiumdiver

Exactly

Looking back to all of the S renditions, this seems to be the most solid, increased res or not.
    However, the implementation of a screen with a pixel density closer to most competitions would have been great. Either way, I'll stick with an iPhone. The retina displays found on our iPhones show an incredible amount of detail and color. Though sometimes we all have gripes with how true color is on the device, it really does take the cake for me when combined with iOS. With iOS 9 being so fresh,and with 3D Touch sure to become a more desired feature, I think the emphasis will shift from display res to display capability very soon.
    Completely open to interpretation.
    Simply put, no the iPhone's screen isn't the fanciest out there but we all knew that big of a change is reserved for the iPhone 7, though even at that point I don't see a quantum leap in screen tech.

6. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I have a 6 plus. What more could you want? The screen is as crisp as it gets. It's beautiful.

7. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

The screen has been great in the 6 plus and continues to be in my 6s plus. You can't get something for nothing. Frankly higher pixel count or different display type at this point was not a high priority.

Different screen might result in battery impact or was simply not feasible time wise.. Remember we did receive a revised display which contains 3D Touch.

I have a super fast phone, great battery life, and new features to enjoy. Frankly speaking the biggest impact has been iOS 9 regarding Safari ad and tracking blockers. This has been the most impact to me on a daily basis.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The 1080p display of the 6S+ is quite sufficient for me. Also I'm not too sure that I fancy dead pixels and burn in if Apple finally switches to OLED displays. For all the talk of 6S+ screen issues in the forums, I still think that LCD displays have better longevity and battery consumption than their higher resolution and blacker blacks LED counterparts.

9. LiemTa macrumors regular

Unless your eyes are electron microscopes, the detail of the screen is nothing to complain about. In fact, it's beautiful.

10. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I'm sorry but when I look at the 6s Plus display next to the Note 5 display there's not much difference. The Note 5 might have deeper blacks that's about it...

11. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

When has the resolution ever increased on an S model?

12. Benched08 macrumors regular

Having had both the Galaxy S6 Edge+, with the most impressive display in the market at the moment, I'm not confident that LCD can keep pace with the advancements in OLED. Hope Apple switches the tech for the 7.

13. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

Only when I look at a GS6 edge+. Clearly not an android person but that display is flat out stunning.

14. Americasteam macrumors member

I'm coming from a Galaxy S6 Edge and Note 5. The screen is not as sharp as either of Samsung's phones and the contrast isn't nearly as good either. I don't really notice though just as long as I don't have them side by side. Apple's 1080 panel still holds up well.

15. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Never.

They have never changed the screen mid cycle. Why would you expect that to change this time?

This S model has the most upgrades of any previous S model. It's more like what you;d expect with an iPhone 7 upgrade rather than an S upgrade.

New material.
    FAST new chip.
    Double the RAM.
    Next generation Gorilla Glass.
    3-D Touch.
    Camera Resolution boost.
    4K video recording.
    Optical image stabilization now works for video as well as stills.
    3rd gen Touch ID.
    More radio bands.
    Upgraded BT.

I can't remember what else. I've been on the S cycle since the 3GS and this is by far the biggest S upgrade ever.

16. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Most of that doesn't matter to the user. New material? Never had a problem with the old one. 4K video recording? Don't have a 4K tv. More radio bands? Um ok. Stronger gorilla glass? Haven't broken my screen on the 6 plus yet...

3D Touch is good but limited usability at this point. Better camera, eh ok nice to have. And of course faster is much appreciated as always.

17. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

At least on 6 vs 6S, the 6S screen is dimmer.

18. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

I knew it wasn't going to happen, but I wanted OLED or mLED, mainly because of all the problems with LCD screen uniformity.

19. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

My point is they improved most every aspect of the phone. Who sees pixels on the 6S Plus? Apple seems to have very set patterns so I'm not sure what people expect.

I do have a 4k tv and welcome the 4k recording.

20. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Unfortunately Apple kept the 1080P screen on the 6S Plus only and not the 6S. This is why I'll be upgrading to the Plus model again this year. I will say that while Samsung screens are nice to look at, they still tend to exaggerate the colors while the iPhones tend to be true to actual colors.