Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Say you spend 5 months at $10/month building a library of 500 songs. That's 100 songs a month for $10, not too bad.

You choose not to renew the subscription because you need the extra money for Christmas or something. What do you have to show for the $50 you just spent?

It's down the drain. You have zero music for $50, plus you get to rebuild your library elsewhere should you move to another service.

And once again, some of us don't have the bandwidth to use Spotify without paralyzing our home networks.

I would have to buy around 60 CDs per month. It is a good deal.

There's no time to listen to each more than once.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Not really. You are paying to use the service for each month. Not exactly down the drain.

I love having a Spotify subscription for use on my iPhone. Much easier and quicker to sync music for offline use rather than having to get to your computer and sync from iTunes.

Don't get me wrong, I still buy music for those albums I want in my collection. In fact, having the Spotify subscription has probably got me buying more music than before. It gives me the opportunity to listen to albums that previously I wouldn't have bothered because I didn't want to buy it on a whim.
I never have to hook up to iTunes also to sync my phone and I only pay $25 a month for that service. As others have said, when you stop paying, you have morning to show for.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I don't like the idea of subscribing for music, no thanks. I buy most of my music as AIF-files from beatport and some 12" vinyls a year. It works for me.

firefoxsilver9

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Florida, USA
I would use Spotify exclusively with my premium membership if it support smart playlists from iTunes. That's really the only thing keeping me tethered to iTunes. $10 a month for the service is pretty good, but if you are a student, you can get it half off to around $5 monthly.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
iTunes Match has solved so many problems for me. I can store my music on my home serve and in the cloud. My kids and wife can play my music without any hiccups, and it costs 30bucks a year.

Oh and it works seamlessly with itunes in the cloud purchases... And you can cash music anytime...

I really don't get the big deal with other streaming services...

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
iTunes Match has solved so many problems for me. I can store my music on my home serve and in the cloud. My kids and wife can play my music without any hiccups, and it costs 30bucks a year.

Oh and it works seamlessly with itunes in the cloud purchases... And you can cash music anytime...

I really don't get the big deal with other streaming services...
I feel the same way. Streaming movies is one thing becauae most people will watch the movie once, twice sometimes. Books are the same way, people will read a book once for the most part, and apps like Oyster I think are good for this. My wife will read 5-8 books a month so it's really nice for her. I use iTunes Match as well, and it works for the most part, but if you and I stop paying for iTunes Match we still have our music on our computer.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
I don't buy music from the iTunes store so for me iTunes is just an app. It would be nice if I could ditch that. But it could be worse.

Anitramane

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2013
I'm pretty sure that isn't legal. In theory, it's illegal to rip any CD you didn't directly pay for yourself. Because the record label loses money of what could have been a possible sale.

Until you have to return those CD's. You don’t own any rights to the music to rip them when you no longer have the CD in your possession. Once you return it, it’s the same as ripping your friends copy of a CD. It’s not allowed.

Indeed. In fact, I am reporting him to the authorities as we speak :rolleyes:

Spotify is nice but I prefer to actually have the music stored on my device so I don't have to stream over cellular data, which is not very efficient.

We all pay taxes...

I'm sure he's already been reported to the proper authorities :rolleyes:

Legal until your return the CD. Then your copies are officially illegal.

I live in Sweden.

First things first. The library pays the author each time their book/movie/cd etc. gets loaned because of lost income from a sale. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Lending_Right

Secondly we have https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy#Sweden which means you have to pay extra for your hard drives because you can make extra copies of for example music. Movies are often not allowed to be copied since most of them have protection (which you can't crack).

Completely legal, high quality and free! It's total ******** we have to pay extra on our storage medium though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.