Anyone else doing the iPhone4/Nexus1 combo?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noobinator, Jul 17, 2010.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

I bought an iPhone4 on launch day and also have a nexus one. I haven't used the Nexus since the iPhone 4 came out since I don't have a micro sim adapter. I plan on ordering one soon so I can continue to use my nexus 1.
    Anyone else using both and can recommend a micro sim to normal sim adapter?

Also, am I playing with fire everytime I put my sim into my nexus 1? I really don't care to lose my unlimited plan.

2. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

3. Ferny macrumors newbie

I want a nexus one, just don't want to pay $425....

4. playaproved macrumors 6502

OP... you're not the only one. I currently have a TMO Nexus One that I won't be getting rid of to use along side of my iPhone 4.

5. Savor Suspended

Savor

Where can you get it for $425?

Sad to hear the Nexus One is on its last batch and Google will be closng its online store for good once they are all gone. The Google phone is a dying breed.

Of all the Android phones, I really like the look of the Nexus One the best. I like that it isn't black like most of the others.

The Samsung Captivate's $350 no commitment price is pushing me away from the N1. It offers me more GB too. But the N1 does benefit from getting all the software upgrades first. If I could get an N1 for dirt cheap (like under $300 unlocked), I would definitely get one. I can see it being a collector's item someday. There won't be a Nexus Two.

6. granny shifter macrumors member

The T-Mobile Nexus One works with 3G on AT&T's network? I thought it had a different radio?

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It will still work on Edge but not 3G.

8. mhdena macrumors 6502

AT&T imei the 6th # is 8
    T-Mobile imei 6th # is 7

This is how you'll know which 3g it is

9. Acejam2k macrumors regular

I have an AT&T 3G Nexus One that I ordered the day they were released. (in March) I also picked up an iPhone 4 exactly 1 week ago.

Previously I had an iPhone 3G. So I went: 3G -> N1 -> iP4. I've since sold my 3G, but I still have the N1, and my Micro-Sim adapter just arrived today. (German made y0!)

In all seriousness, the iPhone 4 is a great phone, hands down. But without my case on (Case-Mate Vroom), I can definitely make the bars drop on the iPhone. Depending on where I am, they drop all the way down to "Searching for service". Due to this issue, I am seriously debating on returning my iPhone. I have another 23 days to think it over.

Sure, I keep my iPhone in it's case 95% of the time, but for me it's about principle. Apple makes nice products, but they need to admit they DO have an antenna design defect. Seriously, how dumb do they think we are?

On the other hand, my 2.2 Froyo'd Nexus One runs very fast, but definitely has shorter battery life. (Although that's nothing my new car charger can't fix.) And no, I don't have any N1 3G issues, that radio bug only applied to the T-Mobile 3G model. Regardless, having native wifi-hotspot/tethering and Google Navigation is priceless. Oh, did I mention they're both 100% free? :D

10. rookie1082 macrumors regular

Google "supports" one new phone every so often as a "developer" phone. So I don't see how this is a dying breed.

11. Venator macrumors newbie

I do the iPad and G1 combo, if that's what you are asking.

...it's not isn't it?

Nevermind.

12. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

thank god they're killing the N1, that thing needs to get fumigated for all the bugs..

13. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Regarding what you are saying about the $350 no commitment pricing, AT&T is now listing it as $499.99 on their own website when you check it's pricing there. Does anyone know where or how to get the $350 pricing without a new contract?

14. a042349 macrumors member

Have both N1 and iP4 for AT&T

I have both the N1 and iphone 4 (on AT&T) and love them both. They're like children or pets, each has strengths and weaknesses, and each does cool things that surprise me all the time.

The N1 is awesome (I think compared to other Android phones) because Google updates the Android OS pretty fast, and it "should" make the cut for Gingerbread at the end of the year. Plus as an HTC phone I can learn/hack a lot at XDA Devs. I wouldn't want an Android w/o their (XDA's) support so I'll stick with HTC models for now.

The iPhone is cool because - well I'm posting on MacRumors so I don't need to tell you guys why it's cool.

I agree about battery life, in my usage patterns, the iP4 "feels" like it lasts about twice as long. But that may be because of how I use both of them. Either way the iP4 battery life is great for me coming from the 3GS.

One funny point: The N1 can be "rooted" w/o any special tools, just boot into the bootloader and you can flip the switch. You are warned you'll lose your 1 year warranty if you do this however. But because I can really do everything I'd want (change keyboards, launcher shells, wifi hotspot, etc.) w/o rooting, I'm actually completely stock from a "hacking perspective" on this phone for longer (about 4 months) than I've been with any phone for a while.

The iP4 on the other hand is about 75% of what I want when not Jailbroken. I really miss things like SB Settings, MyWi, Lockinfo screen, notification management, and (IMHO) much better multi-tasking that I can control.

So the the one with the keys built-in I'm leaving locked, the one that comes locked up tight I'm left waiting for the keys. Ain't it always the way?

:)

Both are fun to have and I feel like I have the top (or damn close) of both OS ecosystems represented here.

That is until WP7 comes out.

:)

15. a042349 macrumors member

Unlimited Data plan and SIM adapter...

Also to the OP on this question. I don't believe you're in any danger of losing your "grandfathered" unlimited plan by swapping from iP4 to N1 (or any other unlocked or AT&T) phone.

Back when iOS 3.x came out, the iOS started doing a check for a specific iPhone data plan, and wouldn't work w/AT&T's generic unlimited Smartphone plan. Both plans were approximately the same price. So I switched to the unlimited iPhone plan, and that one has worked for any phones (and I've tried many including a Palm Pre, Backflip, my 3GS, iP4 and N1) and they all work fine on the AT&T "iPhone Unlimited Data".

So if you had/have the grandfathered iPhone unlimited data plan, and don't change that, you should be able to use any AT&T or unlocked phone w/data with that SIM/account. Not sure what'll happen if I try to buy a non-iPhone plan from AT&T. They may force me off the iP4 plan as attaching the "right" plan is part of their sales requirements. We'll see, but for now I'm good...

I bought my micro-SIM adapter online from a British site (MicroSIM-shop.com), $7.99 and it seems sturdy, and the SIM snaps in so it doesn't feel like it'll get lost in the phone (a problem with cheap or homemade adapters I've heard).

Good luck.

16. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

i'm a few generations behind.

i'm rocking an iphone 3g and an htc hero.

17. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

I'm rocking the iPhone 4, iPad 3G, and Nexus One combo :)

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

Wonderful and informative post from a true phone enthusiast. The kind I enjoy reading. I like it was objective. Most here just want to bash one to hype the other, yet only own of them. I despise opinions from fanboys and Apple/Android haters are just as bad. And I agree with loving them like pets or children. Loving them both for different reasons. When I colllect phones, sometimes that's how I feel. They can compliment each other. No such thing as the perfect phone and there never will be.

Now that the Captivate went up to $499, I'll consider the Nexus One again if I find it at a lower price. Besides, 16GB microSD cards is cheap anyway in some places.

19. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

20. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

there's a difference between need and want

why do you need an iPhone?

21. Savor Suspended

Savor

Same reasons why some people have multiple cars, TVs, girlfriends, etc.

Because they can.

22. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

I love both phones. It always great to feel each of this phone.

23. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Okay, why would you want two mobile phones?

That's not really the same, but I guess I see your point.

24. a042349 macrumors member

Thanks man, I enjoy good objective posts too. None of these is the "perfect" phone, and ALL of them are fun to play with.

I heard (Engadget last week) that the Dell Streak was going on sale at AT&T on Monday. Nobody else reported this though. I'll be taking a look, my tired old eyes would love a 5" screen!

:D