Anyone else done this?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BJB Productions, Sep 24, 2014.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I have an ATV2 that I purchased a few years ago. It's been great and I love it. I recently noticed that there's still a huge market for the ATV2 due to the jailbreak options. Some are selling on eBay for an average of $200-250. I had been wanting 1080p for a while, but I was trying to hold out for the allusive new Apple TV...

Today I noticed a refurb ATV3a on Apple's website for $75. I went for it and my hope is to jailbreak the ATV2 and sell it for more than I purchased the ATV3. Then hopefully I'll be able to sell the ATV3 + the extra I made off the ATV2 and break even for the new model in 2015.

Thoughts? Am I crazy? I'm hoping this was a good time to do this. I don't have much to lose I'm thinking.

2. RedCroissant Suspended

You don't even have to jailbreak it to sell it for an increased price. I sold mine non-jailbroken a long time ago for a profit. So no, you're not crazy.

3. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Last year I sold two non-jailbroken ATV2's on eBay for about $150 each and a non-JB ATV1 for $160. Replaced them all with ATV3's at the $75 refurb price.

4. cyber16 macrumors 6502

early last year I sold two of our JB atv2 on ebay as well. I used them JB for years. Therefore the time i spent to reset them up with a fresh JB and installed xbmc with some of the top add-ons they both sold for over $280 net after fees each with a simple buy it now. I also saved all the SHSH's going way back to the start, therefore most firmware options of restore remained intact. I have seen them sell for well over $400 at times. imo, take the time to JB and add some add-ons.

Those two sales funded a used Craigslist Mid 2011 $200 mac mini and two new sealed atv3's for $120 usd again from Craigslist. In the end I took a few of them extra $'s to add a second drive to the mini.

5. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Great to hear. I'll definitely take the time to JB it.

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I'm actually considering doing the same thing. I'm debating doing the work for the purchaser or just selling it as jailbreakable.

7. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I think I'm just going to jailbreak it with Seas0nPass and call it good.

8. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

People are silly, sell now while you can make money. Almost everything in the Apple TV3 is a step up, the Apple TV2 is just for people who are too lazy to recontainer everything in MP4 format.

9. cyber16 macrumors 6502

While I agree its silly not to sell if you do not JB it.
    Unless you have used a JB ATV2, I think you are selling it short on capabilities
    Indeed it has some limitations. BUT, there are many things you can do with it that no atv3 could think about alone due to the JB. I also own several jailbroken ipad3 retina.
    Flex or flex 2 and a few apps and you have all the sports of ALL kinds streaming live in perfect HD.
    Movies, covered Live TV, covered, the list goes on ;)

10. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

I just don't think there is any particular need at all to jailbreak. If you manage your content properly there should be nothing you can do with an AppleTV2 that you can't do with an AppleTV3 and that's from personal experience. That includes live TV over Airplay from an EyeTV compatible tuner...

The only reason really to buy an ATV2 is if you want to do some task in a specifically non-Apple supported method, otherwise jailbraking is pretty much Meh with a capital M.

11. cyber16, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

cyber16 macrumors 6502

If you want to stretch some laws and I suppose break a few ;) you can get all sports packages without local blackouts...and well, at no cost. Then also with flex you can rid yourself from all ad's and flip the bytes/switches on/off to many options. While I will agree if a person was to follow the laws to the letter, then there are minimal advantages.
    Again, yes you can air play into the atv 3 as I doing it all the time with our jailbroken ipads, Still not a one packet option. If it was not for the advantages of being jailbroken, I would not own either.