Anyone else ever own Samsung watch?? Reviews similar

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ttexxan, Apr 8, 2015.

1. ttexxan macrumors regular

I previously owned a Samsung watch and find the reviews of the Apple watch to be very similar. In the beginning the watch was great. It was a real eye catcher. After about a month the excitement faded and found myself debating on selling. I bet the apple watch will be very similar for many. Exciting at first but fading quickly.

As stated in the beginning I found myself messing with the watch often. In fact it drove people crazy with all the notifications coming through. I eventually had to turn most off. Emails alone can buzz you wrist constantly. Just think about texting---Everytime someone sends a text you will get that annoying buzz. Sure this can be turned off, but if on every reply and sendback your going to know about.

Dont get me wrong I plan on ordering as well for new apple tech, but so far reviews remind me of owning a Samsung watch.

2. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

3. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I went through a similar situation with the 360, interesting at first, but 2 weeks in, went back to a mechanical watch, phone was a much better experience with full apps. So while I am considering getting an apple watch, now thinking sports model max though I will probably get over the fad in less than a month

4. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

This is not the product's fault. The wearer needs to prioritize what notifications are important to them and configure the watch accordingly. I do not understand why this topic continues to come up here or in the reviews that were released today. People act as if they have no control over how often the watch notifies.

5. McCool71 macrumors 6502a

This puzzles me as well. Have been using a smart watch for a year now and feel totally lost without it.

For me the notifications are the most important of the features by far - and it is very easy to customize what you want. Of course this is not something you get a feel for by using it a day or two, but over time you easily find out what is just annoying and what is useful.

There are days when I don't even touch my actual phone for several hours at a time simply because I get what I need fed to the watch.

6. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Very true. I think I'll have a leg up on a lot of new AW owners just because I've been using a Pebble for so long, and I have already defined what notifications are important enough to be passed through and what can be left on the phone.

7. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

App developers are partly at fault too. SO many apps have notifications that are entirely unnecessary, yet, enabled by default. They only get away with this because people are so tuned out to their phone notifications which has a very bad side effect that people are missing their useful notifications too.

It seems common when reading about someone saying something like "the last thing I want is more notifications" that they are in this group. They are apparently clueless that they have a great deal of control. You know what happens for me if an app is extra chatty but doesn't allow control over that? Its notifications are disabled entirely, and often it is replaced if that's an option. As someone who values devices informing me of important situations, I can't tolerate pointless notifications.

As an aside, I strongly recommend getting accustom to the VIP system on iOS. And more generally, people: organize your life!

8. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

It'a useless if it doesn't have built-in cellular call, data and GPS capabilities to operate untethered from phone.

9. dennisjr631 macrumors 6502

my wife bought me a Samsung gear s for my birthday. I'm sure not to many people know about it. I think it's the first smart watch that can operate without a phone. I have it threw T-Mobile and pay $15 a month for unlimited calls and texts. They also give 500mb of data. The watch is amazing because you don't need a phone. You do need a Samsung phone to set it up. I loved the watch at first because it does everything pretty much. I only used the watch for 2 weeks and I haven't touch it since. I much rather wear my Casio gshock. What really bothered the hell out of me was when someone would text or call. I would get the notification on both devices. I found it much easier to just pull out my phone. So I will not be buying an apple watch. I have a feeling there is gonna be a lot of people like me out there. The apple watch is nice but it's so much easier just using your phone. I do love the fact that with the Samsung gear s you can set it up so everything goes threw the watch and you leave your phone home. I connects remotely threw wifi or mobile data. You do need a Samsung phone to do this. I've since went back to a iPhone 6 plus so I can't use the watch remotely. One more thing the Samsung gear s also has its own SIM card and phone number. I wish Apple did this too