Anyone Else excited about the TOMTOM app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pattoniscool, Jun 8, 2009.

1. pattoniscool macrumors member

2. comedine macrumors member

3. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

4. Keysersozeh macrumors newbie

I didn't see anything about the price. I'll have to look for that.

5. brvheart macrumors 6502

what is the price? I am guessing yearly fee like that of telenav....

6. shk718 macrumors 6502a

if it doesn't run in the background isn't it usless for car navigation? when a phone call comes in your all screwed up.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What the heck good would it do running in the background? What's the point of a map you can't see?

You have 3 options:

1) Ignore the call
    2) Go without the map for a minute
    3) Buy a seperate GPS unit

If you're going to have your phone and your GPS in one device, then #1 and #2 are you only choices. No way around that.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Everything I read said the price hasn't been announced. :confused:

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

4) Take the call in hands free mode. GPS can still speak its commands, which would cause only a momentary disruption of conversation.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

What's the point of a nav app that stops working just when you need it most?

TomTom on other phones (especially WM) continues to run while you're in your call, or responding to a text message.

That way, you don't miss a turn while you're talking to someone. Like your wife telling you she's having the baby right now and you better not get lost.

11. TLewis macrumors 65816

Looks good.

If you don't have an existing GPS, it may be a good choice.

If already have a GPS, it may not be.

I'm quite happy with my Garmins, and I'll be sticking with them (and, yes, I do plan on getting the 3GS).

12. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

How about not die because you're talking on the phone and playing with the GPS, I think that would suck more than getting lost.

As for the price no matter what they charge someone here will bitch about it, because hey that's what Mac Rumors is about.

13. golden3159 macrumors member

Obviously you have never used a GPS.

14. kitenski macrumors regular

kitenski

Will this run on an iPhone 3G with the 3.0 OS or is it only for the 3GS?

15. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I am excited about the possibility of having navigation in my car (I never could bring myself to spend £100 on a standalone navigation unit) but the price really needs to be spot on or I won't be having it. Probably £40 or £50 is the upper limit to what I'd spend on this, less if I factor in the cost of the accessory to stick the phone to the dash.

I'm concerned about how the maps would be stored though - for a full map of the United Kingdom I wonder how much of my storage will be used by this app?

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, that sure sounds like the PHONE is running in the background.

I was responding to the guy who asked about the GPS running in the background. I said that didn't sound too useful.

What you said makes sense, but that's not what he said.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You're not "playing with the GPS". This isn't Google Maps in manual mode. It's a turn-by-turn automobile specific app.

On other phones, it shows a screen banner at the top how far it is to the next turn, and telling you when to turn by way of a voice-over.

You can either watch it or just wait for the voice.

I didn't catch the price. The usual $100+ ? Or monthly?

I suppose you could look at it that way. But I believe what you see on other phones is the phone app as the primary onscreen (say with a picture of who's calling, or whom you're calling), with the Nav app kind of "behind" (see above).

18. TLewis macrumors 65816

This may be comparing apples and oranges, but I think the US maps for a Garmin standalone GPS are somewhere around 2GB. I imagine that the UK maps are a bit smaller (under 1GB, I'd hope, but I really don't know).

Edit: Garmin has the US map broken into manageable chunks, and not everything has to be uploaded (for those Garmin units that don't come with a complete, built-in US map). I imagine that TomTom does also (but, again, I really don't know), and so I'd hope that the TomTom app wouldn't force users to upload an entire map of the UK.

19. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Nah not really, I'm more than satisfied with my Garmin nuvi 255W. And when I use it, it doesn't drain my iPhone's battery life :D

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It'll be cheaper than buying a standalone unit.

It's one less device to tote around.

I'm excited.

21. Berek macrumors member

Berek

I have a TOMTOM GO and in some areas it will make sure you get lost.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Just to be clear:
    Map while you hear the phone call: Useful
    Seeing the phone but not the map: Not so useful

I have no idea who's talking about what, but that's my point. I guess some of you are describing one and some are describing the other, but I'm not sure who's who.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

:)

The core idea is that the user still gets the turn directions (voice and/or turn indicator), even while using another application. This is a primary example of a need for multitasking.

If you're the driver of course, talking is the most you should do at the same time (and that as little as possible). OTOH, a passenger with the phone could be reading the restaurant menu on the web, while still getting the realtime turn instructions to get there, for the driver to hear.

24. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I believe that you can just initiate the phone call before bringing up the maps and then talk on the phone while still viewing the map and directions. Of course, if you receive a call, you'd have to answer and then re-open the TomTom app for the same effect.

25. scmacdaddy macrumors regular

psyched! i want the grip stand too! looks nice for coverflow mode on my iphone. the stand looks like it has and audio out. not too excited about two wires coming off my dash. already scheming ways to route the wires in my impreza...