Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I'm not excited about it because I'll get spammed by friends and coworkers (who know just enough to be dangerous) that will put it on their computers and ask how to use it, or why such and such program doesn't work on it.

Working in IT isn't very fun when new operating systems (preview or not) get released.

Not to mention I have no use for Windows so its not something I'm concerned with but its good for those who are looking forward to it.

It is kind of sad that people do that. I also assume they over write their current OS so they can ONLY use the beta one. They really should learn in the very least to dual boot and have it in a 2nd partition or own drive. I know when I was messed around with the Windows 7 Beta a few years ago I had a 40 gig partition set aside for it so I could trash it with out having any effect on the rest of the computer. Since then that partition was been replaced by me install Ubuntu on it and calling it good. The computer has been turned into my linux box that can dual boot into windows XP.

DingleButt

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
Played with it a bit this morning much better than the dev preview. Still doesn't play nice with switchable graphics though. But navigation and stuff is way better. I'll be trying it as my main OS for a bit

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Of course I'm running Mountain Lion so VMware is not running by default. I need to boot into 32bit mode and then fire up vmware from the command line (a stated work around to Vmware's incompatibility to ML)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Remain miserable then. I don't think any amount of junk mail for facebook requests will alter my mood, especially over something as materialistic as an OS release. And as a published author I get plenty (not about OS releases though). Maybe I'm just not of the same wavelength and I'm failing to understand.

I wish it was just email, sadly its email with read receipts, office visits, phone calls, etc. We already had to send out a mass email reminding people to not bother the IT department with non-work related tasks and technology questions.

I should start bugging the finance department to do my taxes ;)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.2; en-gb; Galaxy Nexus Build/ICL53F) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) CrMo/16.0.912.77 Mobile Safari/535.7)

I'd simply reply with "Working fine on my machine.

Sent from Windows 8 Consumer Preview".

I don't mind helping people with computer issues but when they start taking the piss, they're on their own.

I like that idea!

It is kind of sad that people do that. I also assume they over write their current OS so they can ONLY use the beta one. They really should learn in the very least to dual boot and have it in a 2nd partition or own drive. I know when I was messed around with the Windows 7 Beta a few years ago I had a 40 gig partition set aside for it so I could trash it with out having any effect on the rest of the computer. Since then that partition was been replaced by me install Ubuntu on it and calling it good. The computer has been turned into my linux box that can dual boot into windows XP.

Ya this happens all the time with any new OS release. People who know just enough to be dangerous try something and come running to the IT offices for us to fix it.

I'm guessing it'll be today when we'll have someone who managed to install it on their work machine. :rolleyes:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I wish it was just email, sadly its email with read receipts, office visits, phone calls, etc. We already had to send out a mass email reminding people to not bother the IT department with non-work related tasks and technology questions.

I should start bugging the finance department to do my taxes ;)

There is a reason why I set anything that has a read receipt to tell me so I can block it if need be. Those IT from idiots who do install a beta OS and expect me to fix it would kindly get blocked and I would make sure no read receipt is sent.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I'd like to see Apple do a full screen version of iTunes.

If they had any sense they would have been working on it since the developer preview.

Otherwise they could see the iTunes Store surpassed.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
There is a reason why I set anything that has a read receipt to tell me so I can block it if need be. Those IT from idiots who do install a beta OS and expect me to fix it would kindly get blocked and I would make sure no read receipt is sent.

I'd LOVE to do that but they'll cry to their boss that IT isn't helping them, then I'll say "IT can only help you when you put in a work request and an email is not a work request." Then they'll run around my back and complain to the IT managers boss and it'll be Windows 7 release all over again :/

We have whiney PITA users at work :/

On a side note will Win 8 install with VMWare Fusion? I'm downloading the ISO now but it'll be a few hours.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Finally downloaded and installed. Time to give Metro a run for its money on the desktop.
I hope Splashtop HD works on this so I can try some touch stuff on my Xoom.

EDIT: - Initial thoughts

WOW, it's different. Start button as a home button threw me at first but I guess I'll get used to it.
There seems to be an extensive use of right click on Metro apps (tabs for Internet Explorer for example.

I was hoping for a faux Metro tablet experience with my Xoom and Splashtop HD but it seems the resolution that Splashtop uses isn't high enough for Metro sadly.

Screenshot_2012-02-29-22-59-28.png

Too early to judge yet but I'm back in Windows 7 for now as it locked up for me just now. Will test some more tomorrow.

Attachments

• win81.png
    win81.png
    237.9 KB · Views: 84
  • win8ie2.png
    win8ie2.png
    503.7 KB · Views: 73
  • win8ie.png
    win8ie.png
    758.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

ermir4444

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Toronto On
I just installed windows 8 CP and i like it so far. I am having problems with the WIFI though. it says limited connectivity and i cant go online. does anyone have the same problem or a solution to this?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Ok. I've played with Windows 8 for 3 days now.

Honestly ?

Microsoft has made their new OS too complicated. It's not simple to use.

The Metro GUI might be great for a tablet or a phone but it does not belong on a desktop.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (PlayStation Vita 1.61) AppleWebKit/531.22.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Silk/3.2)

Peace said:
Ok. I've played with Windows 8 for 3 days now.

Honestly ?

The Metro GUI might be great for a tablet or a phone but it does not belong on a desktop.

I've got together agree with Peace here.

Metro brings nothing to the desktop experience IMO. What I've seen on the tablet previews I really like, especially how gesture based it is.

I can definitely see a Windows 8 tablet in my future but I'll be sticking with Windows 7 unless Windows 8 brings something special to the table.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Agreed, its not just a learning curve. We're not really getting anything on the desktop with that.

I wonder what MS will do if there's a mass revolt over metro UI.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was trying to win8 earlier today and I come away with how the metro UI really does not work well for the desktop computer. The lack of a start menu really hampers my ability to use the OS.

I use the run command from the start menu to start all sorts of apps. For instance in using it to remotely control servers I type mstsc /admin /v:<server name>, I also start up cmd shells or explorer windows. Yeah I could find work around but one hallmark of a good OS is to allow the user to work the way they want to and not force them in a way they don't. Win8 is forcing me to do things in such a way that is less efficient for me.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I, too, downloaded the consumer preview. I loved what I saw in the demos with tablets and touch.

Here, however, I did not like what I saw. The Metro UI is appalling and utterly confusing with a keyboard and mouse.

One example: I opened the Solitaire app. Then I wanted to close it. Guess what? I had no clue how to. I hit keys, I tried to right-click, nothing.

I had to look it up on the intenret how to go back to the Start/Metro view. This is bad design, folks.

Incidentally, this made me understand why Apple stuck with the home button. It's simple and intuitive - you hit that button and you saw what happens, and you learn. No need to go online to find out how the hell you exit an app.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I was trying to win8 earlier today and I come away with how the metro UI really does not work well for the desktop computer. The lack of a start menu really hampers my ability to use the OS.

I use the run command from the start menu to start all sorts of apps. For instance in using it to remotely control servers I type mstsc /admin /v:<server name>, I also start up cmd shells or explorer windows. Yeah I could find work around but one hallmark of a good OS is to allow the user to work the way they want to and not force them in a way they don't. Win8 is forcing me to do things in such a way that is less efficient for me.

There is a start menu.

To use it move your mouse to the very bottom left corner of the window and a small square pops up. It's blue. Click and the Metro GUI pops open with the standard menu items.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I had some time to try it out. And to be honest, I don't see what the fuzz is about. I expect that it will be quite good on a tablet but on the desktop, it really looks like they just added a cool looking theme on top of Windows 7 but made it extra hard to use as well. All the things you have to do when using it on the Desktop is not intuitive.

For example, just to close an app and free up some memory, I have to go to the very left bottom of the screen, hold my mouse for a second until the start menu pops up and drag my mouse over to the top where all the apps are and then right click on it to quit the app. Seems very strange to me.

It's way too complicated for me. And another thing is scrolling is a bit jerky for me. I don't know if this is just windows in general, but scrolling in a browser on the mac is just so smooth. On windows, even in IE, chrome or firefox, the scrolling jerks around even when I enabled smooth scrolling on the firefox's settings.

I'll still use it to see if I can discover some new things and get used to some of the weird features but for right now, OS X is way ahead in terms of simplicity, features and user friendliness.

DingleButt

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
I like it, but I dont like how dumbed down the metro apps are right now and the extensive use of right clicking or win+Z in them like IE10

I do like the use of corners though, but I wish it told you the name of the app when you hovered over it on the left

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.