Anyone else excited for iPhone 4S but dreading not being jailbroken

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Advil, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Advil macrumors 6502a

So bittersweet. The one thing I'm going to miss the hell out of is BiteSMS because of quick-reply. I can live without the other stuff I guess, but BiteSMS, SbSettings and MyWi will be sorely missed :(

Oh and FakeClockUp will make me sure that the 4S is actually slower. I might even disable that now so I can get used to it..

What about you?

2. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Yeah, I got mine ordered, but will miss being jb. But it will give me much more free time not changing themes on a daily basis:D. Plus, I don't think the wait will be too long.

3. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

yeah, I switched to ios 5.0 gm to test it out before getting a 4s, just to get used to it before the 14th. I keep finding myself trying to use jailbroken things, like sliding my finger across the time and being able to turn 3g on and off. Using Bite SMS to quick reply or stop a message before I send it to cancel (I never noticed how much I used that STOP button until it was gone) and quick reply is gone. One I keep thinking o myself "what the hell, why isn't it working?" is holding the volume up button for a second to turn on the flash as a light. I hope a 4s jailbreak comes out in record time.

4. Advil thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh man i totally forgot about the STOP button. that thing has saved me some serious embarrassment... I don't know if i can do this!

5. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I'll have to say, losing the ability to Jailbreak was a definite factor in my not ordering a 4s. I have an iPhone 4 now - if I was still on a 3G or 3GS it would probably be different. I have unlimited data with Att and while I could go with Sprint their coverage around here is not really better (if you can imagine that!) so there were just not enough in the plus column.

6. jw6961 macrumors regular

jw6961

I thought there was already a tethered jailbreak for iOS 5?

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yeah, It'll be rough for a few weeks. For me it will be little things like 5 Icon Dock and No Spot. Oh, and SBSettings for toggling things like WiFi, turning of 3G, etc. But I have no doubt that there'll be a jailbreak soon enough. Hopefully the new features will keep me distracted enough to ignore the inconveniences.

8. lnferno macrumors 6502

Yah, I've got quite a few JB apps, but these are the ones I'm really going to miss:

MyWi
    SBSettings
    Five Icon Dock
    Five icon Folder
    iBlacklist

9. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Upgrading to iP4s from JB iP4?

Somebody posted the following in the non-hacks forum...and wanted to keep the hack discussion in the hack forum...

Hmm. This is going to be my situation. Coming from a non-activated iP4 to a new iP4s on Sprint. But I have been using the iP4 since December as my PDA with my iPads 3g simm. That is going to be hard to handle if I have to start from scratch setting up everything including downloading apps, and all. Currently, I am on 4.2.1.

Is there ANY way to safely go from an older iPhone on 4.2.1 JB to the new one?

Thanks!

10. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I'm going to miss 2 apps
    SBSettings and SBSchduler.

The scheduler I'll miss the most because it makes my life much more convenient by turning down the ring volume and turning off Bluetooth when I come to work, and doing the opposite when I end work.

11. MajesticNJ macrumors regular

MajesticNJ

I will be for BiteSMS mostly and also for fake clock up which just makes the screen draws a little faster.
    I also MUST HAVE chpwns Infinifolders and 5 icon dock and switcher.
    Love Pandora and never heard of the skip hack. I'll have to look into that too. :)

12. lnferno macrumors 6502

"Siri, turn off Bluetooth".

I wish :p

Maybe that will be a future enhancement!

13. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

I'm new to the iphone world, and once I get jailbroken, I want to do some of the things mentioned, like swiping across clock to change things, etc etc. Are there any other blogs, forums, tricks I need to know about? I'm still new......

14. chargit, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I though mustlenerd said about a week or so ago that the jailbreak is ready for ios5 and it is untethered. thats why they were not working on untether for 4.3.5. Ill go back and check

well I may be wrong cause I cant find it....thought it was on twitter

15. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

I always restore from a backup of a jailbroken phone. Never a single problem.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.794886,-74.126039

16. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

But not for the 4S with new hardware, that might be longer. Hopefully not too much longer though.

17. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Anybody else?

What happens to the items not installed from the Apple App Store?

18. phill50 macrumors newbie

they will be gone but there is a few jb apps out there that will do a backup of your jb apps

but no problem with the os

19. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Do the restore. Let the apps upload their data to iCloud then do an icloud restore. That should be clean.

20. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I was on a 3.1.2 jailbreak since late 2009, and just this afternoon did a full backup, restore from backup and update on iTunes 10.5 to 4.3.5. The jailbreak apps were gone, but everything else was there or waiting to be restored from the iCloud or whatever via the App Store.

One funny thing was that I didn't have an icon for the phone itself, because the phone icon was the fifth in line on my 5-dock. I had to go into settings and reset Home Screen Layout to bring the phone icon back. That was amusing for a second.

I know I "ruined" my phone by updating it, but I don't care. I wasn't going to sell it anyway.

21. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

Yeah I'll be dreading not being JB, mainly because of quickreply, sbsettings and activator. Hopefully when they release the JB they can make it work with OTA upgrades, but I doubt it.

22. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

The one thing I'm curious about is since Siri is in beta, apple most likely will be pushing out updates more frequently (just a guess) to update Siri since its OTA now. Wondering if this will be an issue in the future for people who jailbreak unless they don't want the most up to date version of Siri.

23. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Ok, help me out here.

Old phone, iP4...no cell service other than the 3g simm from my iPad. Currently on 4.2.1. Just ran TU to back up SHS and ran iTunes and did a back up.

New phone arrives on Friday.

What should I do first?

Thanks!!