Anyone else experiencing LOOOOONG iCloud backups?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HawaiiMacAddict, Oct 8, 2011.

1. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I don't remember backups being in the neighborhood of 4-5 hours since iPhone OS 3 (I actually waited for a 4-hour backup once). Imagine my surprise when, using the iOS 5GM build, I saw the estimated time as shown in the attached screenshot. This is the first time I have seen a long estimated time for backups. I am not plugged into the mains, however, as I have yet to be prevented from syncing or backing up my iPhone while not being connected to power. This is really strange :eek:

Attached Files:

2. SandynJosh, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

SandynJosh macrumors 68000

Some reports indicate that the 4s rollout is even bigger than the iPhone4 so the iCloud could be being hit harder than ever.

Report back if you got through the backup faster then the estimated 5 hours. Remember, no one, even the beta testers have anything at all up on the iCloud so I'd expect the up-link to be running full bore and still running behind.

3. rkahl macrumors 65816

Mine takes a matter of minutes, but I'm a paid developer. Maybe they are downloading stuff from your iPhone that they don't from mine?

4. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm also a paid developer, but this is ridiculous. I saw it once indicate 2 hours, but it didn't take nearly that long. I was thinking that the 5 hour estimate was also a simple miscalculation, but now it indicates 6 hours remaining :eek:

5. rkahl macrumors 65816

I just backed mine up "Less than 1 minute remaining".

----------

Done

6. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

You may be correct on that call. I just tried to backup my iPhone again, and this time it estimates less than two minutes.

7. Virance macrumors regular

You should go into Manage Storage and check out how much data is going to be backed up. It should be sorted so that the largest backups are towards the top - I found it downright embarrassing how many developers were not even remotely careful with the size of their save data. Simple applications and games with save files damn near the same size as the apps themselves. You may have a few rogue apps/games that are causing your backup size to jump up.

8. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

My first iCloud backup took 5 hours because it was 2.3GB in size. That much data takes quite a bit of time to upload, especially since my ISP's upload rate is 1Mb/s. Once the first one is done (let it do that one while you're sleeping), then the next ones will only take a few minutes at the most.