Anyone else feel Apple's iPhone is on the wane?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluush, Jul 14, 2010.

1. bluush macrumors 6502

I know the sales numbers have been quite high, but that's always the case when something hits the tipping point. With Apple in a world of hurt over the phone issues, and with Android making leaps and bounds seemingly by the minute, does anyone else get the feeling that sticking with the iPhone is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic?

I have plenty of Apple products and love them all, including the iPhone -- but I have a feeling the next batch of Android phones are going to put the iPhone4 to shame.

This isn't intended as a troll or anything, I'm just curious to see how others (unaffected by the distortion field) view the current competition.

Thanks

2. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

If wane means "kicking the butt of all their competitors" in some language I don't know, then I think so.

3. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Kind of, but with their resources and expertise, I'd expect they would bring out something even crazier and bleeding edge before things get too bad. Just think about the crazy stuff they've got in their labs. I'm sure they've already reinvented the iPhone's UI. They'll get this antenna thing sorted out in the coming months as well. Things might look bleak, but Jobs is a madman. Don't discount him. There is a reason everyone says he is the smartest CEO in the world / of the last decade / whatever.

4. funwithamar macrumors regular

i agree .. .jobs rules :D

5. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Quite the opposite, they are releasing the iPhone 4 here this month and I couldn't be more excited!

6. goodscoolwf macrumors newbie

Always wants one, but have a bit disappointed after...:(

7. nateharr macrumors 6502

Distortion field? Wha....woah! For a minute there I thought I saw a light. And Steve Jobs was standing there...and the iPhone didn't have full bars!

Thank God this was just a hallucination. All hail the mighty Steve!

8. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

look at the numbers.. ios is 2nd most used mobile OS.. the only one used less than android is palm, which is odd considering it is on more devices than any other os

9. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Apple has never been a company that follows others however since Android is gaining ground and more and more devices are popping up I think the only thing Apple will do is MAYBE release the iPhone updates more like twice per year. That being said no matter what Jobs has a knack of getting everyone to wait on the edge of their seats like WWDC and people seem to follow. I think the i4 issues hurt them a little but only time will tell as to how bad so far they are still selling like hotcakes.

10. buc macrumors member

Pretty much every single review i've read has the Iphone 4 rated the best smartphone on the market in just about every area other than reception when you hold it a certain way with no case/bumper and only in areas with an already weak signal.

I do think the Android phones are gaining, and i'll probably take a look at them when i get my next phone. A lot can change in two years in this market.

But to say the next batch will put the Iphone 4 to shame? I can only surmise you work for Google, own Google stock, or Jobs pooped on your face.

11. MacNasty macrumors member

i really dont think so at all...all the talk went on when the droid first came out and dida couple extra things the iphone didnt do...and then what happened? apple released another iphone that blew the droids out of the water...i feel it is going to be a back and forth battle like it has been...all the bicker about the iphone4 "issues" are blown WAY out of proportion IMO...there has been plenty of reviews out there that say it is the best smart phone out there and that the "issues" are very minimal...i bought mine like 2 weeks after it came out and i have no issues with it at all...another thing about the driods making such an uprising, and someone has mentioned this before in another thread, is that they are always having buy one get one free on droid phone. Imagine if the iphone was BOGO...that 1.7million in the first 3 days would have been like 3million in the first 3 days....just my opinion, but i think apple will do whatever it takes to stay at the top, like they have been doing for many years now!

12. skiltrip macrumors 68030

No, actually, for the first time, I am ready to get an iPhone (just as soon as Apple publicly acknowledges the issues and corrects them).

I have yet to see an Android phone that interests me. In fact, I haven't really seen any smartphone that interested me before the iPhone 3g and now the 4.

13. MacNasty macrumors member

yea i totally agree...i know a few people that have android phone, they are cool, but i like the iPhone so much more!

14. BadMoon macrumors 6502

If the Droids OS was stable and the battery lasted longer I would consider switching.

Hell you can't even add custom sounds for text messages on an iPhone without going through hell and back (something I could do on my blackberry even).

That said this is my first iPhone. I researched all of the new phones carefully before I made my decision. The only thing I wish is that apple would go to Verizon. My att&t service is horrid in my area. So much so that I may switch to the Droid X. I really don't want to though. I love everything else about the iPhone 4.

15. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

But hes getting older. Everyone knows that jobs is not the same man he use to be before the surgery.

Later
    AE

16. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

Oh how I wish my paycheck would wane like the iPhone.

17. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

you're right. Droid phones are being released left and right. Some specs are already better. But as for the overall user experience I'd say iPhone will still have them all beat

18. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I think you're overreaching with the Titanic analogy. The iPhone 4 may be Apple's Waterloo but Apple/iPhone is far far from a Titanic situation. No company is perfect and is bound to release one product in its lifetime that has issues. The whole iPhone 4 has been somewhat of a debacle from the prototype, to pre-order mess, white iPhone debacle, and this whole antenna business, but the fact is Apple cannot keep them in stock. And for good reason.

Even with its faults (I only have the ability to drop 2 bars using the deathgrip) I would still use this phone over any other phone. It's that good.

Im far from an Apple apologist or fanboi (I'm building a Win 7 box to hedge my bets incase Apple keeps acting the way they are and I jump ship) but I have to say there is a reason they can still stay sold out of the iPhone even with the worldwide bad press it's getting. I will be keeping the iPhone 4. I'd be willing to deal with a bumper if that meant having a perfect iPhone 4. Nothing else really compares right now (I like Android but it is just not as good).

19. Perihelion macrumors regular

Speaking as the owner of an Android phone, I'd say that Apple is still way out in the lead. Sure there have been lots of improvements to Android in 2.1 and 2.2 but its still not polished the way mainstream consumers would want. I probably spend 10% of my Android OS usage time twiddling with settings to try to get the phone to do what I want. I don't mind because I'm a gadget guy and knew it would be like that before I got the phone but I'd never recommend one to my other family members. Sure the iPhone 4 has some issues, all phone have SOME issues. Apple's problem right now is managing media exposure and messaging to consumers. For the record, I'm switching to the iphone 4 when it comes out here.

20. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

21. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

No, I don't feel Apples phone is on the wane, it's the most amazing device I've ever used.

22. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Nope.

Thing that makes the iPhone more appealing than say, a Mac:

People carry them around all day.

It might sound strange (considering the fact that I don't really care much about impressing anyone), but a lot of people DO.

I've read a ton of threads here with people all talking about being the first to walk around sporting their new iPhone, or about returning it for a white one so they can be the first to show off the more exclusive (in their minds, I guess) white iPhone.

This phone isn't only a really cool device for communicating, playing games, etc... it's also a fashion statement.

One thing that Apple does really well besides lock people into a "system" (iTunes, App Store, etc) is fashion.

Every single Apple product is built with form in mind... before function, even.

Not that function is discounted, but did the ip4 come out with something particuarly ugly, or did it come out with an iffy antenna? ;)

If this was about a PC that you sit in your home office and rarely show to the outside world, I'd be more concerned about Apple's future.

It's not. It's about a fashion accessory/communication device.

And folks? The Droid phones look okay and all, but they're just not iPhones.

23. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Android is making leaps and bounds until you actually have to use one. Then its usually right back to the iPhone.

24. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

:rolleyes: