Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Most of us will interpret that as you bought a new device and handed in the old one for recycling.

If you've ever met me, that is the least likely thing to happen. Unless the old phone has to be surgically removed from a Apple "Genius" of course.

Reactions: AlixSPQR

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
I am in the good luck camp.

I have had Apple replace logic boards, computers, phones outside of warranty. I have even been upgraded to newer models on replacement devices as well.

Seems like luck of the draw as far as I can tell.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

FRVRandAFTR

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2015
Long gone. Complete mess. They charge a huge premium and the support just isn't there, and that's me being nice with my explanation.

aidler

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I had an experience with Apple customer support where I asked for a battery replacement for Powerbeats Pro. According to their website, the service was offered at a specific price. As it turned out, pretty much everything on the webpage was a flat out lie. There was no battery replacement for the Powerbeats Pro, and all the guy offered me was a replacement for almost the original price. It was a horrible experience.

Reactions: ThailandToo

jib2

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
I have great experiences with Apple Customer Service. A few examples:
1. Online: I bought a refurbished iPad Pro which seemed fine until I bought their new keyboard, which worked but did not light up (no backlight). After trouble shooting on my own, I call online Customer service, who boosted me to a second level representative, who had me run multiple tests with him. He sent me a new keyboard, which didn't help. Eventually he replaced my iPad with a brand new iPad (later model) at no charge and had me send my iPad to engineering to examine.
2. In store: I have had several MacBook Pro computers replaced in store when they could not fix a problem.
3. AirPod Pro (1st gen): I had both pods replaced (separate times) in the parking lot of the mall during Covid because of the buzzing issue -- no problems.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I've always found Apple reps to kind and friendly. I've also found them to be, generally but not always, unhelpful. Meaning, they will stay on the phone or keep the case open for as long as is needed for you to accept that they will do nothing.

In my experiences, this began after COVID, though I rarely call in anymore. If there is a warranty issue, they are generally quick to help out, but if you have a bug or something with the software, you’re SOL.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Nermal and jchap

VampyricGentleman

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2022
South Wales, UK
I’ve had two issues that have required me visit an Apple store with my device. Once they fixed the problem within 10 minutes. The other they diagnosed in 15 minutes and arranged for me to have a replacement device, so I am happy with my experiences.

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
I had couple of problematic visits at the Apple Store ... but also had A LOT of really good experiences with more than understanding and willing to help people. I guess it's a lottery at this point, and doesn't apply just to Apple.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
AppleCare has definitely gone night-and-day downhill since the pandemic. It's total crap. Even the task of extending AppleCare+ (which is otherwise an exception to this) is a needlessly convoluted clusterf**k much of the time.

• Angry
Reactions: jib2

timmodugdale

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2009
Madison, WI
Anyone else feel like the “great customer service” at Apple is almost mythical?

I’ve only interacted with them about three times, but each time has been a nightmare. In the most recent example, I have a power cord with new iPad that isn’t working. After thirty minutes of questions I finally gave up and bought Anker replacements. It’s a power cord, with a new device no less. Just replace the dang thing. Oh, and the new device has AC+, so you’d think they’d be more willing to help.

Previous examples include refusing express replacement on a device covered by AC+ (when I love hours from the closest store), and similar experiences.

Then I hear about folks having random replacements of entire computers and that sort of thing. I’m not being a jerk on these phone calls, because i know customer service is a difficult job to be in. Not to mention one where you have to deal with customers with broken equipment.

I have had excellent customer service with Apple. I am currently dealing with an Apple Watch 5 that won't update, and I am working with programmers to collect data and identify a solution. This has been true of other situations, as well. I just had my iPhone screen replaced. It was only scratched and not cracked, but they replaced it with AppleCare. My Apple Watch Ultra had cellular connectivity issues, and they replaced it with Apple Care. One time, my HomePod bricked after updating. I hadn't purchased AppleCare for some stupid reason, and it was out of warranty. They had no reason to do anything for me, but after working with me, I convinced them that they should send me a replacement, which they did.

Now, I do think some factors influence the kind of support. The number of Apple devices you have seems to affect the service you get. I have been met with a less-than-helpful response at the Apple Store, and when they look up my account, things change immediately. I can't confirm this, but it has happened several times. With the HomePod, for example, they saw that I had three HomePods and five HomePod minis. At the time, the HomePod was not selling well, and I believe they thought it was better to make me happy.

whitby

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
I have nothing but praise for Apple service both on the phone and in store. They have always been helpful and resolved my issue whether it was my fault or a fault in Apple software or hardware. e.g. I have had several mother boards replaced in iMacs in the past, replaced a new 16" MacBook Pro where the hinges caused wrinkles in the case, 2 HomePods that stopped working etc. I have a lot of Apple devices so have no idea whether the investment in Apple devices gives me some benefits, but Apple have never let me down and is one of the reasons I buy Apple products in general.

ctucci

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Yer Mom's basement.
... However, the tales of people getting replacement devices for free out of warranty stick out to me and I always thought these were PR stunts and that's how Apple gets its reputation for this mystical customer service...
It actually happened to me. Years ago had a 24" iMac, and the graphics went out just a bit after warranty expired. On the phone with Apple, they apologized bc they couldn't get that part, but then after a few minutes, they offered to send a brand new 27". Now, I don't know if they're like that these days...

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I’m a field tech who has to deal with HP and Lenovo ‘support.’ Even on a bad day Apple beats them hands down.
I had to deal with a bunch of different hardware vendors in the past and Apple were the best so far. Especially the in-store employees.

Microsoft: (mainly software issues, some xbox hardware stuff) no issues, very quick, friendly enough.
Apple: (one iPod touch replacement, one iPod shuffle replacement, one Apple Watch battery replacement) no issues, very quick, super friendly.

Acer: (broken laptop) absolutely awful, refused service and rude
Nvidia: (overheated graphics card) awful, refused service because I hadn't kept the original retail box the graphics card came in. this was after months of using the card without issues.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
In my experience Apple has the best customer service out of any business I’ve dealt with. Excellent customer service and always getting your way aren’t the same thing though
They are not even close to AJA Video. AJA has the best I have ever experienced anywhere.

I give Apple about a 7 or 8 out of 10.

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
apple store by me sometimes the genius will replace the device and not care at all

sometimes they will stare at you like a mirror

🤷‍♀️

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
It seems customers service everywhere (and polite social behavior in general) has deteriorated in general. And the bar for what constitutes “good customer service” is much lower today as compared to 10 years ago.

So when we talk about “great Apple customer service” is that with respect to:
Customer service everywhere else, or
What Apple customer service use to be like?
Unfortunately those are 2 different questions.

DaveEcc

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2022
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Had fairly good experiences myself.

Wife's 16" M1Pro MBP died suddenly after 8 months while sitting on a table helping my daughter with homework. Power cable light wouldn't even come on. They took it away to the back for a brief investigation (likely to verify no water damaged, etc.) before agreeing to cover fixing it. Their claimed fee if it wasn't covered seemed ridiculously high, with two high priced items listed, as though they both included the motherboard, but since we weren't paying, whatever.

Daughter's 10.5" iPad Pro died during the last week of warranty coverage after she dropped it, and it landed on the headphone jack with enough force to bend the headphone cable that was in use. Obviously user error (and why Apple likes to remove the headphone jack). Was fully expecting to have to pay for a repair. The genius thought so too, but tried to claim a warranty repair anyway, just in case... and it was accepted under warranty.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I’m sorry you had a bad time, but I have to admit they’ve been nothing short of awesome to me. Returns are a breeze, questions resolved promptly, and they’re always positive and cheerful.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Anyone else feel like the “great customer service” at Apple is almost mythical?

I have a power cord with new iPad that isn’t working. After thirty minutes of questions I finally gave up and bought Anker replacements. It’s a power cord, with a new device no less. Just replace the dang thing…

…Previous examples include refusing express replacement on a device covered by AC+…

I’ve experienced a cord failure within warranty and I was asked a bunch of questions about usage, environment, power adapter, etc. At the end of the call I paid the amount of the cable, got shipped a new one, sent back the defective one and got refunded.

For the second scenario, was a replacement denied or just an express replacement? I know that not all situations permit an express replacement. Why, I don’t know but I imagine that was the reason, they just weren’t allowing them in that soegcifc instance and you (bad) lucked into it. Did you eventually get the device repaired/replaced?

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Had fairly good experiences myself.

Wife's 16" M1Pro MBP died suddenly after 8 months while sitting on a table helping my daughter with homework. Power cable light wouldn't even come on. They took it away to the back for a brief investigation (likely to verify no water damaged, etc.) before agreeing to cover fixing it. Their claimed fee if it wasn't covered seemed ridiculously high, with two high priced items listed, as though they both included the motherboard, but since we weren't paying, whatever.

Daughter's 10.5" iPad Pro died during the last week of warranty coverage after she dropped it, and it landed on the headphone jack with enough force to bend the headphone cable that was in use. Obviously user error (and why Apple likes to remove the headphone jack). Was fully expecting to have to pay for a repair. The genius thought so too, but tried to claim a warranty repair anyway, just in case... and it was accepted under warranty.
It’s really a mixed bag with companies. Once I had an HTC Windows Phone (I know, I know) that had developed a mysterious hairline screen crack overnight after being on a wireless charger. I sent it to Verizon with a post it note pointing to the crack and explaining what seemed to have happened and was sent a replacement, no charge.

Maybe they felt bad cause I was on Windows Phone? I loved it but most people didn’t.

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
Yes. It’s been going downhill for years. They don’t have to go out of their way anymore because they have plenty of customers.

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2023
Against the advice of many, I got AppleCare for my M1 iMac. I also paid extra for the extended Magic Keyboard with TouchID.

The keyboard got a but gunky and needed a wipe down. Well, TLDR I messed up, and called Apple who immediately flagged it as "Liquid Damage". Got a brand spanking new replacement.

Price of AppleCare: $ 169
Price of a new keyboard: $179

Only issue is it took 10 days to get a new one.

MazingerZND

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2022
It absolutely depends on the store and the person you get to deal with. So, as a general rule, one should not say Apple's support is top notch. It isn't, it's a lottery.

Reactions: wib and bousozoku
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.