Anyone else find backgrounder relatively useless on iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lovemyipad, May 8, 2010.

1. lovemyipad macrumors member

Backgrounder is awesome in theory but on the 3G, apps running in the background like Pandora always crash.

Anyone else find this?

2. thespazz macrumors 6502a

3. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

Sometimes things are slow. Like maybe if I try to scroll in notes it'll lag terribly and won't scroll down until two or three swipes. But usually Pandora or other internet radio apps running in the background just crash.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong

4. thespazz macrumors 6502a

You're not doing anything wrong. The 3G doesn't have as much memory as the 3GS (or the CPU power), so things will be sluggish. Try not having too many apps backgrounded.

5. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

So should I just get a 3GS? Since it has more juice.

The only thing is that I heard 4.0 will give the 3GS multitasking anyway.

I like to do things on my iPhone 3G that it wasn't meant for lol. I think all tech geeks (like me) get a kick out of it.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I Background all the time. You just need to watch your memory. Make sure you set the memory remaining to display in your status bar.

7. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

That's a great idea. How do I do that? I know Sb Settings can do it but doesn't sb settings take up a lot of memory?

8. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I have a 3G and 3GS and it is very useless on the 3G...its very slow and sometimes it wont even background compared to the 3GS where I can have 4 apps backgrounded with no problems

I guess thats why they dont want multi task on the 3G

9. pmcb macrumors member

i dont think sbsettings hogs memory too bad. with meebo and music controls from cydia i dont really have much of a need to background, but yes i found that backgrounding is pointless on my 3g.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I have around 50 MB free until I open stuff, which is about how it was before I jailbroke, so no, I don't think it takes too much.

11. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

Ya. It's good for listening to music then you hear the email ding and can background and check it. So that's the good thing about backgrounder on the 3G

it also works well when surfing the net. Like reading an article or so.

But if you want to play a game while running pandora in the background forget about it.

I get a huge kick out of having some sort of backgrounding (although limited usabilty) TWO years before it was officially released.

12. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Very true.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It may not have the memory of a 3GS, but having Backgrounder on a 3G is not useless. So, it only allows you to have two apps open. Big deal. We'd like that on a 3G, whether Apple thinks so or not. It would be nice if Apple let us choose.

14. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

Amen to that. I really wish that we had a voice and the power to decide if we want some sort of backgrounding, or if we want some sort of video recording on our 2MP cameras, or if we need flash or not.