Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'll have to admit, I hadn't used an Apple device with ProMotion but was considering an upgrade and (for the first time since before Covid) went to visit an Apple Store to try out the new iPhones as 15 Pro/Max was a definite possibility. I was surprised to find that I found the display to be sort of nauseating. The effect was similar to a TV with motion interpolation/motion smoothing turned on (aka "the soap opera effect") which I know bugs some people and others don't even notice it. I also find interpolation nauseating and I almost returned the first TV I bought with it until I figured out how to turn it off, now turning off "motion smoothing" is the first thing I do when I get a new TV. Does ProMotion bother anyone else in the same way, or am I alone on this one? I ended up ordering a 15 Plus, and having never used a Plus/Max phone before hopefully I can adjust to the size.

• Haha
Reactions: krspkbl

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Yes- other people are nauseated by ProMotion too. It may be due to the variable refresh rate. If it locked on 120hz, I bet no one would be bothered.
Luckily you can turn it off.

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
It took me some minutes getting used to it but now there's definitively no going back anymore - it's a night and day difference when it comes to UI smoothness.

Reactions: dan428

dan428

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
I'll have to admit, I hadn't used an Apple device with ProMotion but was considering an upgrade and (for the first time since before Covid) went to visit an Apple Store to try out the new iPhones as 15 Pro/Max was a definite possibility. I was surprised to find that I found the display to be sort of nauseating. The effect was similar to a TV with motion interpolation/motion smoothing turned on (aka "the soap opera effect") which I know bugs some people and others don't even notice it. I also find interpolation nauseating and I almost returned the first TV I bought with it until I figured out how to turn it off, now turning off "motion smoothing" is the first thing I do when I get a new TV. Does ProMotion bother anyone else in the same way, or am I alone on this one? I ended up ordering a 15 Plus, and having never used a Plus/Max phone before hopefully I can adjust to the size.
It’s just because your eyes aren’t accustomed to such smooth motion on a digital screen yet.. I’m sure you’d get used to it within days

dan428

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
Yes- other people are nauseated by ProMotion too. It may be due to the variable refresh rate. If it locked on 120hz, I bet no one would be bothered.
That makes no sense.. the rate isn’t visually variable at all times, it only drops when you aren’t touching it and it would be wasting refreshes unnecessarily, otherwise it locks into specific rates

Reactions: kitKAC

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I'm in the same boat OP. When I use a phone with ProMotion I get motion sickness and a sort of spaced out sensation. I'm very sensitivity to the soap opera effect and cannot watch TV when it's enabled. I also cannot use VR as I find that I also get motion sickness. I couldn't play God of War because the FoV (field of view) was too narrow and panning the character caused me to get motion sickness.

It's not 120hz that is the issue it's the combination of 120hz and the animations. I can comfortably use 120hz Android phones and a 144hz 4K monitor without issue.

I had to return my 15 Pro and debating getting a regular 15 for the 60hz screen, even though I do notice it being less smooth.

Torty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2013
Turning it off looks bad because the pro motion display doesn’t blur like the 60hz displays.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Nah, i really like it. My TVs are both 120Hz and my PC monitor is 165hz so I'm used to high refresh rate displays. Pro Motion was one of the things i was most excited about when upgrading. 60Hz isn't bad but I'd rather not use it.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
This is interesting 🤔 I have not found pro motion is causing nausea on me. But, some people might be sensitive to it. Enjoy your 15 plus and larger size! 😊

Reactions: bodonnell202

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
The effect was similar to a TV with motion interpolation/motion smoothing turned on (aka "the soap opera effect") which I know bugs some people and others don't even notice it.
Most people who are bothered by the soap opera effect object to it because it is a stylistic change to the original content. It alters the cinematic look and feel by removing the 24 frames per second look of film. It’s not an objection due to health reasons in most cases. If you‘ve ever set your Apple TV to 24 Hz, you can see how poor a framerate it is for smooth UI animation. Personally, I prefer smooth UI animations, especially on anything larger than an iPhone mini display.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm in the same boat OP. When I use a phone with ProMotion I get motion sickness and a sort of spaced out sensation. I'm very sensitivity to the soap opera effect and cannot watch TV when it's enabled. I also cannot use VR as I find that I also get motion sickness. I couldn't play God of War because the FoV (field of view) was too narrow and panning the character caused me to get motion sickness.

It's not 120hz that is the issue it's the combination of 120hz and the animations. I can comfortably use 120hz Android phones and a 144hz 4K monitor without issue.

I had to return my 15 Pro and debating getting a regular 15 for the 60hz screen, even though I do notice it being less smooth.
Makes me wonder if Apple has not programmed the animations to run natively at 120hz and there is some sort of interpolation going on. It was definitely the animations that looked off to me. I’m apparently very sensitive to interpolation.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Most people who are bothered by the soap opera effect object to it because it is a stylistic change to the original content. It alters the cinematic look and feel by removing the 24 frames per second look of film. It’s not an objection due to health reasons in most cases. If you‘ve ever set your Apple TV to 24 Hz, you can see how poor a framerate it is for smooth UI animation. Personally, I prefer smooth UI animations, especially on anything larger than an iPhone mini display.
I’m not a cinema purist who objects to stylistic changes. I can tell when there is interpolation happening as to me there is something unnatural about the way things move. If you’ve ever seen interpolated video slowed down it does introduce unnatural shapes in the interpolated frames so I assume I’m picking up on that. Content that runs natively at higher frame rates doesn’t bother me so I’m guessing some parts of the iOS UI must rely on interpolation when running at 120Hz on a promotion display.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
I’m not a cinema purist who objects to stylistic changes. I can tell when there is interpolation happening as to me there is something unnatural about the way things move. If you’ve ever seen interpolated video slowed down it does introduce unnatural shapes in the interpolated frames so I assume I’m picking up on that. Content that runs natively at higher frame rates doesn’t bother me so I’m guessing some parts of the iOS UI must rely on interpolation when running at 120Hz on a promotion display.
The movies are pre-rendered into individual frames, so the in between frames need to be interpolated to fill in the missing gaps needed to match the screen’s higher refresh rate.

The iPhone’s UI is closer to a video game, where images are rendered on the fly based on the screen‘s refresh rate.

NeoSe7en

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2017
I’m pretty susceptible to motion sickness and I’ve never had an issue with it.

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
I've had up to 360Hz on Desktop PC's however I had to switch off PM on my iPhone as it gave me an instant headache.

Totally unexpected.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I dislike the “soap-opera” effect on my TV and adjusted the settings so this wouldn’t occur.

I didn’t find the same type of thing with promotion on my 15PM - but I turned it off to save battery. I don’t find it made me nauseas or queasy.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
I'm finding the complete opposite. Ever since getting the iPhone 15 Pro (had 12 mini before) the extra smoothness in motion is very easy on my eyes, however, using the iPhone 15 Pro with power saving on actually seems to strain my eyes more as it looks more like 30fps than 60.

I also just got a 240Hz monitor for my Mac, so now I no longer have any 60Hz displays in my life (except at work... ugh). I find the high refresh rate really seems to be easier to look at since anything else looks very stuttery to me.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I'm finding the complete opposite. Ever since getting the iPhone 15 Pro (had 12 mini before) the extra smoothness in motion is very easy on my eyes, however, using the iPhone 15 Pro with power saving on actually seems to strain my eyes more as it looks more like 30fps than 60.

I also just got a 240Hz monitor for my Mac, so now I no longer have any 60Hz displays in my life (except at work... ugh). I find the high refresh rate really seems to be easier to look at since anything else looks very stuttery to me.
Congratulations, your eyes have now been officially ruined. You’ll never be able to use a low refresh rate device again. 😂

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Congratulations, your eyes have now been officially ruined. You’ll never be able to use a low refresh rate device again. 😂

Yep. This 15 Pro is gonna end up being the most expensive device I've purchased, as it already has me looking to upgrade my MBA to a MBP. :p

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Like several people here, I can't stand motion smoothing on a TV and I also turn it off. On my computers and smartphones it's a must though. When I look at a screen stuck at 60hz it now looks broken to me.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I'm glad ProMotion is gradually making its way through the iPhone lineup - I've had an iPad Pro with it for years, and my desktop has a 165Hz monitor attached. It can be a subtle thing, but it's still appreciated.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I can not say it bothers me, in fact I find it's effect nice with very smooth scrolling on both phone and iPad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.