Anyone Else Find that iPhoto 6 Is Incredibly Unreliable?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eboyer7, Apr 3, 2009.

1. eboyer7 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I'm curious as to what others think about the reliability of iPhoto 6. Personally, I have had nothing but trouble with it ever since I got my mac from Apple. Right from the beginning it was corrupting my photos and frequently crashing (by corrupting I mean the photo got replaced with a black box, and the photo wasn't able to be recovered, no matter what I tried -- and I tried pretty much everything the guys on the Apple Discussions could suggest).

I then got Leopard and installed it with the Archive and Install option (so, nothing changed for iPhoto). A few months after getting Leopard, iPhoto suddenly corrupted about 20% of my photos, but luckily I had a backup.

After that huge corruption, someone at the Discussions suggested using a program called iPhoto Library Manager to rebuild my library. It worked well, and basically built a new iPhoto library with all my existing photos, keywords, ratings, albums, etc. Most importantly, iPhoto was reliable for once.

It's been a few months since I did the rebuild and iPhoto is starting to crash a lot again. It often crashes after about 15 minutes of organizing my library, it crashes when I try emptying the iPhoto trash, and sometimes it won't quit unless I force quit it. Also, it often crashes when editing a large photo, or doing anything else that is CPU-intensive (it seems to just give up if I tell it to do anything the least bit strenuous). Thankfully, no photos have been corrupted since the rebuild.

Basically, iPhoto 6 is by far the most unreliable program I have ever used -- and I often use beta and alpha programs! I don't see any reason for it to be unreliable: I have a medium-sized library of 7000 photos, all of which are rated and have keywords. I also have about 200 albums, but I'd expect iPhoto to be able to handle this kind of library.

So, I'm wondering: how many other people have as much trouble with iPhoto as I do?

-Eric

2. eboyer7 thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems that not many other people find it unreliable. But, if you do find iPhoto to be particularly reliable I'd also like to know that. I'm basically looking for the overall opinion of iPhoto's reliability.

-Eric

3. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I don't think many people are still using iPhoto 6, I've never had a problem with iPhoto but I believe I've only used 7-9, and even then I rarely use it.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Why not a fresh install? Maybe something got corrupted during Leopard.

How'd you get iPhoto 9?!?!? I just purchased iLife '09 and the version is 8.0.2 (latest)!

5. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I'm a time traveler, lol no sorry my bad wasn't paying too much attention I thought 09 would be version 9, that would make too much sense. I guess I meant I've only used iPhoto 07-09 so 07 would be version 6 right? Even then I still didn't use 07 much, but never had any problems with it when I did.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Aww... I thought you might actually know what new features Apple will throw in the next version of iPhoto.:p I mean, after Faces and Places, who knows? :D

7. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Well next version they're going to add gaydar to iPhoto so it can tell if the person in the picture is gay or not, and then they will combine it with Address Book and GPS chips that will be embedded into our bodies so you can locate anyone you've ever taken a picture of at any time.

8. riciad macrumors 6502

I've been using iPhoto 6 on 4 Macs since it came out and haven't had any problems with it, even with 2 of them being used by family members who aren't what you'd call computer literate.

9. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Yeah.. I have used iPhoto since Version 1... :O

It has got much better and more stable as more and more updates occur...

I have a very large iPhoto library.. (About 35GB) and I really don't notice any crashes in iPhoto 8.0.2 (I think that is the latest version) on my Mac Pro...

I think that If you can... UPGRADE!!!

10. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I've used iPhoto 5, 7 and 8 without ever having a problem. Well that's a lie, iPhoto 5 got slower and more unusable the more photos you put in it but it never corrupted anything.

I would recommend an upgrade if you can. Out of the 3 I've used I found iPhoto 7 to work best of all, but that could 'cause I was late to get it and 8 still needs some quirks ironed out.

11. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

When I say about the updates.. from 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 it got better as opposed to 1-1.1 sort of thing..

Not such a lie after all.. but I guess the I was a bit vague!!

12. eboyer7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Everyone's replies are showing what I was pretty sure is true: overall iPhoto is quite reliable.

When Snow Leopard comes out I'll be doing a fresh install because I've been having a bunch of other weird problems in OSX. Hopefully the fresh install (and perhaps purchase of iLife 09) will helps things. I really hope it's not my iPhoto database that's corrupted again!