Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I’m really on the fence on whether or not to get a pair of HomePod minis.

The reviews are so mixed. Add to that, there are so few rumours that I think I’ll be waiting a long time for a new larger HomePod.

I get the vocal minority generally makes the loudest noise and there’s no shortage here on MacRumors. But the sense I’m getting is they are decent, ’good enough’ as computer speakers or for a small room.
Certainly not overwhelming praise often attributed to Apple products.

I need to listen to a pair in person, but with Covid restrictions in my city, it’s a bit more of a hassle.
I don't think it's unfair to say they are good enough as computer speakers or for a small room. I just got two Minis to go along with my two original HomePods that are a stereo pair. Obviously a single Mini doesn't compare to the OGs, nor should it. I was surprised when I first plugged in the Mini at the size of the chord sound that played (like when you turn on a Mac). So now my setup is the two OGs in the family room as a stereo pair, one Mini in the kitchen and one Mini in the living room, or if you're from Chicago...the "front room". The Minis do fine to add a whole home audio feel to the setup. They sound very clear and keep that clarity even at max volume. They aren't going to rattle the windows but that's not to be expected from a lightweight speaker the size of a softball. As far as the praise not being overwhelming I think you should let yourself be the judge. If you're looking for something to be loud and booming I'd suggest something else, or even OG HomePods if you can find them used. Maybe the best thing would be to order a couple and try them out for yourself. You can always return them if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:

lc96

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2011
Yeah, although since the introduction of the "reduce bass" toggle with IOS 15 the homepods are much more versatile in their placement. Traditionally an unwise location of them have resulted in muddy, boomy bass and drowned mids, and that can be corrected now enabling this setting. Which is of course wonderful.
Where is "reduce bass?"

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection

Attachments

• 65E24624-034A-40AC-A8BC-25C590AAED08.jpeg
    65E24624-034A-40AC-A8BC-25C590AAED08.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: lc96

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
On the Home app long press on HomePod icon and scroll down to Music and Podcasts

Is that the extent of customization on these HomePod mini?

I guess there’s nothing more granular allowing you to adjust mid, highs and lows like you might find in headphone apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.